Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tzolkin

Is This an Initial Breakout?

I tried posting something about this in the vitamins section (http://*www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitamins-Skin-Type-t234355.html [leave out the asterisk]), but since no-one cares to answer there, I'm trying here, because I am really ticked off and desperate about this.

I had my acne almost cleared, with the exception of a few zits here and there.. then I started taking a bunch of vitamins (no iodine) and I'm now breaking out worse than I was before I even started treating it at all. I count a total of 6 nodules, and a bunch more of these annoying little bumps that behave like a nodule but are too small to be one, and won't freaking go away.

It's driving me crazy, and making me more depressed about it than I ever remember being about my acne, because I feel like the hateful little bastards all over my face are popping up just to laugh at me for trying to have clear skin. So I would like to know if it's normal to have an initial breakout start within 24 hours of starting a vitamin and herb regimen, or even if this is an initial breakout at all...

I'm serious. This is depressing and frustrating, and right now I'd love to just tear my sore, aching face right off my skull. Please answer this time... :wall:

I tried posting something about this in the vitamins section (http://*www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitamins-Skin-Type-t234355.html [leave out the asterisk]), but since no-one cares to answer there, I'm trying here, because I am really ticked off and desperate about this.

I had my acne almost cleared, with the exception of a few zits here and there.. then I started taking a bunch of vitamins (no iodine) and I'm now breaking out worse than I was before I even started treating it at all. I count a total of 6 nodules, and a bunch more of these annoying little bumps that behave like a nodule but are too small to be one, and won't freaking go away.

It's driving me crazy, and making me more depressed about it than I ever remember being about my acne, because I feel like the hateful little bastards all over my face are popping up just to laugh at me for trying to have clear skin. So I would like to know if it's normal to have an initial breakout start within 24 hours of starting a vitamin and herb regimen, or even if this is an initial breakout at all...

I'm serious. This is depressing and frustrating, and right now I'd love to just tear my sore, aching face right off my skull. Please answer this time... :wall:

What kind vitamins/supplements did you begin taking?

As I posted on the other topic, Beta Carotene(A), B-100 Complex, C, D3, E, Zinc, Garlic, Fish Oil, and 5-HTP.

I don't take pills anymore because I've had bad experiences with them (I've been prescribed anti-depressants and sleeping pills and they made me worse).

So, I live a healthy lifestyle now (I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I excercise. I drink lots of water. I don't smoke. ETC).

Ever since then, I haven't gotten a pimple in a long time. For me, it's a good feeling to live a healthy lifestyle, because I know that I'm taking great care of my body.

So, what I'm saying is this, DON'T RELY ON PILLS FOR EVERYTHING!!

I already live a healthy lifestyle. It was apparently not enough. And trying to cut all refined sugars or gluten from my diet causes me to become hypoglycemic. Understand, I started on the vitamins to specifically target the sebum production in certain areas of my skin where I break out, NOT as a quick fix. I live as healthily as I can as a college student, and that seems to still leave me deficient in some nutrients because of my high metabolism.

I honestly didn't expect the vitamins to do anything more than help make my skin healthier in combination with what I was doing. What I got though seems to be a change in the way my skin behaves, via what seems a lot like an initial breakout. This is the purpose of my question. To find out if supplying more of select vitamins and minerals would cause such symptoms initially, so that I'll know whether to stay the course, or troubleshoot that aspect of my regimen.

If my skin really is changing, then I would need to figure out how to treat it all over again so that the breakout will permanently subside. BTW, please do not 'yell' at me. I can hear your suggestion just fine without the caps.

Thanks,

--Tzolkin

BTW, please do not 'yell' at me. I can hear your suggestion just fine without the caps.

I'm not "yelling" at you, I'm just adding emphasis. Well, you've said that your acne was almost cleared before you took the pills. so to me, it seems like the pills are the problem

No, you don't live a healthy lifestyle. Being deficient in nutrients is not healthy. My suggestion is that you should eat more

I remember reading this book a long time ago (basketball for dummies) and it mentioned a basketball player who has a high metabolism (I don't remember the players name). He has to have 8000 calories just to maintain his weight.

@ezento98: Whatever. Your opinion is noted, and my question still mostly unanswered. I'm planning on going to the clinic later today, just to try and get to the bottom of this.

And for the record, yes, it is possible to live a healthy lifestyle and not get enough nutrients, because some of said nutrients can be difficult for the body to absorb from the food-derived form of them. Overfarming of the soil can also create deficiencies no matter what you eat or how much, as many nutrients are absorbed from the soil by the plants in question.

Umm, your question is answered. The pills seems like they're the problem. You've even mentioned that your face was almost cleared. Why not continue what you're doing before you took the pills

I've said this before, acne requires patience. You know that saying ("Good things happen when you wait.")

If you can't be patient, then it's your fault.

You have no idea how contradictory that sounds. I'm asking whether to stay the course and persist through a breakout, and you're saying I can't be patient?

Here's a little advice for you. Stop now. You've stated you were anti-pill. I noted your opinion. Making more remarks, especially in that particular tone you've taken, is not going to sway me any more, and is likely to result of me instead reporting you for harassment. Let it drop. I want to hear a -different- view, for only when more than one person with different views answers my question will my question truly be answered. Such is the price of seeking advice from the internet.

Making more remarks, especially in that particular tone you've taken, is not going to sway me any more, and is likely to result of me instead reporting you for harassment.

Ok, I'll stop, but you have some issues. I'm not trying to be mean to you. And also, what "tone" are you talking about?? This is an internet forum. I'm not "talking" to you. I'm just typing.

I had to quote this because it made me laugh. sorry, but I'll stop now.

Here's my final reply for this thread, you say you're patient and you want to continue on with the pills, then go for it. The break outs might just be a phase. If it won't go away, then my advice is correct.

People are different. For example, pro-activ might work for some but it won't work for others.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to you. I'm a nice guy in real life

Day 6 of taking Vitamins, Morning... The oily zones which most frequently break out are itching like mad. Often, scratching gently over an area which itches but has no nodule activity yields blackheads that just come out with the pressure of the action. It's only the nodules and papules which seem to be hanging around.. I've now got new several new ones, and the old ones haven't left yet.

I'm still asking, whether this would be considered an initial breakout? My skin is overall (except for the active acne itself) dryer in those areas than it used to be. I switched from astringent to cold water days ago, and the lack of oiliness persists, except the immediate area where there are nodules/papules. A mere centimeter away from one, the skin is dry. It's been hot outside so since the day before the first breakout I've been sweating and in the sun more than I had been, just to add another factor to the equation.

Again, to repeat the question: Does this sound like an initial breakout/purging? If so, is there something I can do to help it along? Would salicylic acid or some other acne med help bring the lingering infection to the surface?

If I had insurance.. or assurance that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd seriously go see a derm in a heartbeat. If something I'm doing has the infection backed into a corner, I want to know how I can deal it the fatal blow it deserves. :P

Well im no doctor, but my guess would be to try and stick out this little break out. I dont think vitamins could do that within 24 hours...maybe? well if if you take away the vitamins factor, it definetely sounds like an Initial breakout. When I took some vitamins they actually helped me get clearer because it helped cleanse the toxins from my body more.

oh, and to answer your question if theres anything you can do about the IB...ya you can, doctors will usually perscribe a antibiotic to help with the IB, but it all depends on the kind of antibiotic cause it may not help.

.... Please just go pester someone else now. :wacko::wall:

Geeze, calm down will ya? How do you survive in the real world when you can't even take someone's opinion on the internet!?

Geeze, calm down will ya? How do you survive in the real world when you can't even take someone's opinion on the internet!?

Oh, I can deal with the opinion just fine. It's when someone gets overzealous with said opinion that it becomes a problem. Not to mention, making a case for the opinion instead of attacking my current strategy would have been a more courteous means of getting it heard.

@rm85love: The two things I'm thinking it might be at this point is either an initial breakout or an allergy. In the case of the latter I'm not sure it's something in the vitamins. It might be something in my diet.. but anyway, I really hope it's an initial breakout. My face has been so painful lately that I've stopped caring whether the acne is cured, so long as it stops breaking out. X_x;

Antibiotics sound good, though unfortunately my acne never responded to the stuff. I think it's resistant. I've been trying to use alcohol as a means of cleaning anything that pops, to try and prevent it spreading. .. though it's also making me wonder if that too is causing a breakout. I feel like my immune system is in overdrive. No matter how slight the infection, it's just pushing it to the surface of my skin. Even a few blackheads have triggered inflammatory responses.