Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadonfive

Chasteberry (Vitex) and Hormone Regulation

Hey, everyone. I was wondering if anyone has some anecdotes or stories about the supplement Chasteberry. My Naturopath wants me to take it, because lately I've been getting tons of PCOS-like symptoms, like my hair falling out and missing my periods (no, I'm not pregnant.) I've read good things about it online, but I know that online info and personal experiences don't go together most of the time. Here's some info I found on it:

"Chaste tree berry acts on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands by increasing luteinizing hormone (LH) production and mildly inhibiting the release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). The result is a shift in the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, in favor of progesterone. The ability of chaste tree berry to raise progesterone levels in the body is an indirect effect, so the herb itself is not a hormone."

Source

So, anyone know anything about chasteberry?

Bump.

Haha, no replies....if you know ANYTHING about chasteberry I'd love to hear about it...

heyaa, i have heard good things about it too, i have found out that chasteberry is also known as agnus castus. I went to holland and barrett today and brought some so i will let you know how it goes, thought i think I have to wait a while to see the effects. The woman in the store also said wild yam is good as a hormone balancer. I also brought a magazine called healthy and there was a story in there about a woman who had pcos and she took agnus castus and it helped, so i say go for it! hope that helps abit.

Thanks for the reply :cool:

I just got my Chasteberry in the mail today (Vitamin Shoppe brand,) and I took my first dose a few hours ago. Yeah, I heard that it does take awhile to work...I found this in an article:

"In one study, 117 women with four different types of acne were treated with a chasteberry preparation for 1-2 years. Improvement was seen after 6 weeks and by 3 months, about 70% were free of acne. Some treatment relapses were observed after 3-6 weeks."

Source

Good luck!!

There was a thread recently on estrotone which is a combination of things including vitex. I thought there were several users posting in that thread.

There was a thread recently on estrotone which is a combination of things including vitex. I thought there were several users posting in that thread.

Thanks, I DO remember the estrotone conversation...I did a board search for chasteberry in the Adult forum as well as here and didn't really come up with anything, so I made this post. I'll give that other thread a look.

EDIT: Alternativista, in the estrotone thread, you say that:"On page 2 of this document, it explains how hormones can be getting created, bound to receptors, bound to proteins or circulated and removed from the body so fast that there never is a particularly excessive amount of androgens in the blood stream at any given time to be measured in the tests they do. It says they should really be measuring the androgens in the tissues, not the blood."

That's a concept I haven't thought of before, do you know of types of tests that measure hormones within tissues instead of the blood?

EDIT: Alternativista, in the estrotone thread, you say that:"On page 2 of this document, it explains how hormones can be getting created, bound to receptors, bound to proteins or circulated and removed from the body so fast that there never is a particularly excessive amount of androgens in the blood stream at any given time to be measured in the tests they do. It says they should really be measuring the androgens in the tissues, not the blood."

That's a concept I haven't thought of before, do you know of types of tests that measure hormones within tissues instead of the blood?

Alas, no. The author of the document didn't name any either.

Hormones also get stored in body fat. I left that one out of the list. And it really should say 'there may not be a particularly excessive amount...' since sometimes there is excessive amounts in the blood.

Do you know if this can be taken with the pill? I'm currently having to take Dianette to drastically sort out my hormones but could the two work together?

Thanks

Hey paperflowers,

On every website I've found that talks about chasteberry, it specifically says not to take it with oral contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy, because it interferes with how they work. I'm sorry! I hope Dianette works for you.

Thanks deadonfive, well I'll avoid it till I'm allowed of Dianette!

1 1/2 months in and so far it's been great (though I still don't like the thought of it) I just worry that when I have to come off (can't stay on too long for health reasons) I'll go back to the way I was-and I'm not just referring to acne! Possibly something to look into then.

That definitely sounds like a good opportunity to take chasteberry, i've seen some people around here that talk about using chasteberry to wean themselves off birth control without huge side effects.

Good luck! :)

Chasteberry/vitex made me moody and gave me my first migraine. It's not for everyone!

hey there

i read how amazing this stuff is once u get off the pill

but i read it reduces the libido...which worries me

has anyone experienced this????

I've been taking Vitex for about a month now. Since I've only gone through my cycle once during that time, I can't say much just yet but for once it wasn't too early or too late, so I think it's helping keeping me regular :) as for anything else, like effects on acne, I think it's still to early to tell.

thanks for the reply

i read that it takes as much as 3-6 months to start to work...

so perhaps u will see results later in the months.

Im already taking suppliments for hormones like B6 AND B5 and im still on the pill..im hoping to ease the transition for when i stop next month so ill take the vitex the day following i stop the pill.

i tried to get off the pill in 2004 and my cramps were so bad i had to get off the bus feeling i was going to throw up all in tears..brutal...

i have been taking vitex for just over 8 months now. i am happy with the results in regards to how it has eased a lot of my PMS symptoms (painful abdominal bloating, breast tenderness, moodiness including anxiety and depression) and how it has helped to reduce my acne. it has not completely rid my face of pimples, i still get some spots just before TTOM, but i no longer get painful, large cystic acne. and in regards to my libido, i can say it has not decreased any and that personally for me, the big O seems stronger and more intense since i stated taking vitex. :dance:

for me, i have found that i had better results with a higher dosage, 1000mg per day, and i take it first thing in the AM at about the same time. i started with natures made 450mg capsules (took two a day in the beginning like the instructions say), and did notice some results with in the first month. i then tried a tincture, but seemed to regress in progress. i finally switched to thompsons 1000mg capsules and have stuck with those. i have read that different types/brands of vitex will work better then others for different women.

for me, vitex has been a godsend and it is like a night and day difference in how i feel compared to just over a year ago. if you try it, i hope you get some good results from it.

thank u so much! that helps!

see I live in Toronto, I dont know what brands they have..but how will i know which to try?

I would like to avoid the ones that dont work as well....

I wonder if I should start with a higher dosage from the start..

thanks for the reply

I started taking it four months ago not for acne, but to help bring my menstrual period back. I lost it for about 6 months from being too skinny. Well, it's back now! I can't say for sure whether it was the vitex or gaining 8 pounds, but I' going to keep with it I think. It hasn't made any change in my mood or increased my depression- I think that is very individual depending on your hormone levels. I have noticed lately that my lips look plumper, perhaps from increased levels of estrogen? hmmm I don't have bad acne, but I usually have one or two zits on my face with some blackheads. The vitex hasn't made this worse or helped it, but we shall see.

thanks for the reply

geez..i thought it would help with acne..im really scared to get off the pill after many years on it...

trying to avoid the bad period cramps and acne....

im already taking VITAMINE B6 AND B5....

i guess i could go to a health store and ask them

It would probably be a good idea to see a Naturopath if you can. I'm going next week and plan on asking about natural ways to balance hormones -- I came off the pill in October after being on it for almost 10 years and haven't started my period yet....blood tests showed high levels of testosterone and very low levels of progesterone, but both still within normal limits...just off. Hopefully they'll suggest something like chasteberry/vitex.

my face remained clear for 5 months..amazing

till i got pregnant LOL..did i mention is helps with fertility;)

my face is still somewhat clear..a few break outs, but thats the pregnancy

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

i think so,,because its natural and not a chemical..and its great for balancing...

perhaps what is in it, is stronger then BC