Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay. So I am getting ready tired of my breakouts. I am a smart, pretty girl, and my only external flaw is really my acne. It gets in the way of so much. Today I didn't go to school because it was around my chin and looked horrible. It is like so lame. I use AcneFree and it worked good at first, but then stopped kind of. I think it stopped because I stopped working out as much and I know exercise helps a lot with me. Anyway.

Finally my dad said he would take me to the dermatologist. I feel bad because it is a lot of money. The visit alone is like a 100 bucks without even getting the medication. Should I go? Or just keep trying home stuff and using what I do and increase my exercise? I don't wanna waste his money, but what if the 'tologist works? Ya'know? I know it should pass eventually, I am told, but I am not sure. It is from genetics. I am 18, and it should be going away around now, but I feel it is only getting worse. I am gonna quit smoking, and also try increasing my exercise followed by a water fast once I quit, so I don't know.

What should I do?

[sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Newbie here.. ]

Guest Chrisâ„¢

Feck,

Please take my advice and see a derm immediately. I had severe acne when I was young, and I thought the same way you do. The answer to your question is no, it will more than likely not just "go away" on it's own over time. I waited a long time before seeing a dermatologist and as a result I have suffered with severe facial scarring for almost ten years, and there is not much hope for me to get rid of them. I got cleared by two courses of accutane, but because I waited so long before getting it treated, i'm left with terrible scars. One hundred dollars for a consultation (and even the money it costs for accutane, or whatever treatment you have) is a piss in the bucket compared to what you will face down the road if you do not take action to get rid of your acne now. PLEASE, go to a derm asap and don't be a stupid kid like I was.

What type of acne do you have, and how severe is it?

I have no idea what type or how bad it really is. People where I live don't really have facial problems. Should I take a picture?

Guest Chrisâ„¢

Sure, if you want to take a picture and post it I'll take a look and give you my opinion. If you don't want to that's fine, but I would still definately see a derm and see what they think, even if it is just a minor amount of acne. It's not worth the risk of having a huge breakout or worse when they can help you and give you valuable information. Prevention is key.

You could take a picture of half of your face. It can be difficult to classify your acne. Seeing a dermatologist isn't such a bad idea.