Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SilentWalker

Salicylic acid and AHA as non-medicinal ingredients

I saw a lot of products (especially moisturizers) that have salicylic acid and AHA (glycolic acid or lactic acid) in their ingredients, but they're not listed as medicinal ingredients.

I would like to know if, because they are not listed as medicinal ingredients, they are not effective, i.e. they do not perform their usual function. Or rather I should ask if there is enough of these ingredients in the product to work, i.e. perform the function of SA or AHA.

If not, why are they there?

Here are some products that I currently use that have them listed as ingredients (the ingredients are listed also):

Spectro HydraCare Blemish-Prone Skin

OXY Daily Moisturizer

That's a good observation. The ingredients of SA are so far down the list that they cannot be presumed to have much activity in the product and thus aren't listed as active ingredients. Some AHAs can act as humectants, they draw moisture to them, depending on the pH of the product. Lactic acid is a good example; at higher pH (more alkaline) it acts more as a moisturizer and at lower pH (more acidic) it acts more as an exfoliant.