Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t100019

Dealing With Acne At Work

Hello,

My name is Joe and I am a brand new member to Acne.org. I am very grateful that I have discovered Dan's site. It is has been a very motivating and helpful tool in my quest to elimate acne from my life. That being said, here's a little background on me:

I am 24 years old and I have been dealing with bad acne for about 7 years now. Like many of you out there I have been to the dermatologist, been put on antibiotics, used just about every topical cream under the sun, and yet my acne still persists. Believe it or not, my acne actually went away for a brief period of time after months of taking antibiotics when I was a senior in college, but it came back full force about a year and half ago, just in time for work!

Now, those of you reading this post will definitely understand what I am to go on a mini tyrant about. Having bad acne in an office building full of people that don't have acne at all SUCKS!!!! I am finding that having acne issues during this stage of my life is way worse than having it in college. During college, a lot of people have acne, in-fact its rather common. Therefore, I never felt like an outcast amongst people in college because I could see others going through similar issues. At work however, I feel like some sort of leper amongst all the normal adults in the building. Now I know what you're all thinking, "You work in a professional building with a bunch of old people, of course they don't have acne anymore!" Yes, that's true, but I also work with many young professionals who have all told me that they used to have acne in college, like me, but now its long gone. So why the heck do I still have it? I know it is very common to get mild breaks from time to time at my age, but what I've been going through lately is just ridiculous!

Well long story short, I got back on antibiotics and prescription topical creams about a month ago hoping that round two in my battle with acne would be better... no luck. The acne has been getting way worse than it should be getting (I know its supposed to get worse before it gets better). I am starting to believe the topical creams are simply just too harsh on my face! Therefore, I decided that I needed to try something different. I started Dan's regime last night with over the counter products and my face already feels less irritated, and the swelling of my huge cysts has decreased already too! I am confident that if I stick to the program I will actually see results and I am hoping to I will be able to post good comments for people to see in the near future.

Now for some advice! If you've read my story and you can relate to what I'm saying, then you'll agree with this statement: The mirror at work is your WORST enemy! I have been trying something different lately and that's not looking at the mirror, at all! When I wash my hands I look at my hands, I don't look up to inspect my face. Checking out my face stresses me out, and stress is bad for acne. Worst of all, inspecting my face makes me feel like I need to pick at it, and that's really bad! So far, this strategy has been very helpful for me mentally and I highly recommend it. Please read this interesting article I found on Acne.org that gives further insight to the habit of picking and how to stop:

My Best,

Joe

I can relate to what you are saying, even though I am still in college. I have had acne since I was 13 years old (I am now 21 years old), and while I know acne is something that comes and goes, I am puzzled that I still have to cope with this problem.

I am not using any antibiotics (even though I actually went to the doctor where I was prescribed tetracycline, I did not use it after reading the potential side effects and the fact that it was only a temporary solution) or face washes, as in the past it seemed that excess washing just made my acne worsen by stripping the skin away of all its natural oils.

Fact of the matter is that when I do not create a fuss about my acne, it tends to go away on its own. I think too many people, myself included, are so focused on getting rid of acne that we really do not understand that perhaps the best way to get rid of the acne is to simply let the body and skin sort things out on its own.

In my experience, that is what works best, but of course, people are different, and even though I believe that the body can sort things out on its own, I do not advocate that people should not get help if their acne is seriously affecting their quality of life. Nevertheless, I myself do not care about other people having acne because there is simply too much else to a person than acne. I guarantee you that most of the people at your workplace will focus on your work abilities, your personality and your attitudes towards them rather than your face. As you mention, acne is normal, and even though you do not see many other people of your age that has acne, it still does not mean that there are lots of other people at your age out there that are struggling with their skin problems. So, to summarize: Take it easy on your skin, and secondly, most people do not care about your skin. In fact, it is mostly you who cares :)

i understand completely how you feel. i'll be 24 next month, and even though i have a master's degree and a successful career, i have barely any self confidence at work because my acne is so bad. and then to make my matters worse, a co-worker recently asked me why my acne is getting worse. i asked why she wanted to know, and she replied that she just noticed it's worsened. how am i supposed to respond to that? ugh.

I can relate. People are so rude and inconsiderate of others. Your co worker sounds like a real piece of work. On a bad day I would have told her to mind her own business and asked her why she was so fat! Any other day I would have said its the meds I am on, gets worse before better and walked away. Not to be nosey but are you on a regime? how do you care for your skin, do you take meds or vitamins, drink lots of water, good diet? My heart goes out to you. I have been in your shoes and know that you are not alone in dealing with this. Elf

funny you suggested i should ask her why she's fat because she is overweight, and quite lazy. anyway, i have pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome), so my regime right now consists of a prenatal multivitamin once a day, 500mcg of chromium twice a day, prolief balancing cream twice a day, cetaphil face wash and moisturizer, and, of course, benzoyl peroxide. i also follow a vegan diet and drink TONS of water. i also cut out excessive sugar and simple carbs. since making these changes my skin is a little less inflamed and i don't have as many new breakouts, but it's really too soon to notice significant changes.

i understand completely how you feel. i'll be 24 next month, and even though i have a master's degree and a successful career, i have barely any self confidence at work because my acne is so bad. and then to make my matters worse, a co-worker recently asked me why my acne is getting worse. i asked why she wanted to know, and she replied that she just noticed it's worsened. how am i supposed to respond to that? ugh.

she shouldnt be commenting on it! You know its worse and you suffer from it everyday, does she really need to make a comment on it, people are so insensitive when it comes to acne.

I can see how it would suck. It's just one of those things you have to deal with. We all have to make a living somehow. I used to skip out on class sometimes because my face looked so bad, but I really had to push myself to go. It's my education, and that was very important to me.

I can relate. People are so rude and inconsiderate of others. Your co worker sounds like a real piece of work. On a bad day I would have told her to mind her own business and asked her why she was so fat! Any other day I would have said its the meds I am on, gets worse before better and walked away. Not to be nosey but are you on a regime? how do you care for your skin, do you take meds or vitamins, drink lots of water, good diet? My heart goes out to you. I have been in your shoes and know that you are not alone in dealing with this. Elf

thats just stooping to her level. Id just say something like, do you think you could be any less discrete?

Hi, I can really relate to your post..I'm actually hibernating today because I can't face work.

I dont work in an office anymore but I know exactly what you mean, wherever I have worked I feel like an incompetant child amongst grown ups, I always think people must be thinking 'how can she organise her job, life etc when she cant ever organise her skin'

I then convince myself that i am being self obsessed and that it really isnt that noticable...then hey someone comes along and ruins it by asking whats 'wrong with me', or 'why dont you use some treatment or other' like i'm too dim to think of that myself.

arrggghhh. anyway rant over, I know I shouldn't look in the mirror so much but I really can't help it, and whats even worse I now use my mobile which is always handy to continually check myself...maybe I need a psychiatrist rather than a dermatologist.