Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meat_pirate86

Oats and Oatmeal

I'd like to start a discussion regarding oats and oatmeal to see how people tend to react to them.

I had a serving of home-made oatmeal today with no problems.

I know many people who can't eat any grains and some who say oats break them out.

Please share your experiences, no scientific information required!

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think I tolerate a serving of oats a day perfectly well. I have them soaked, drained and cooked with water only with 1/3 banana, cinnamon and coconut oil. It might be the half cup of hot coffee I have with it, but the oil production on my face has gone way down.

My skin actually looks better after eating oatmeal.

I think the important thing is to prepare them carefully, stick to one serving size once per day and on an empty stomach perhaps with a hot beverage.

Really stoked that I seem to tolerate some form of grain; hits the spot...I used to love custard/pudding and tomato-chocolate cake.

I have no problems with oatmeal. But then I don't seem to have a problem with wheat, although I limit it, or any other grain.

Have you tried Quinoa? It's actually a seed, not a grain, and a complete protein. I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to rinse several times and it's such a tiny lightweight seed that it's actually a bit frustrating to do.

And there are other grains/seeds you might try. I have a bag of millet in my pantry with a recipe for pudding on it.

I'd like to start a discussion regarding oats and oatmeal to see how people tend to react to them.

I had a serving of home-made oatmeal today with no problems.

I know many people who can't eat any grains and some who say oats break them out.

Please share your experiences, no scientific information required!

If I don't break out from whole grain bread, Is it possible not to break out from oats? :D

I have no problems with oatmeal. But then I don't seem to have a problem with wheat, although I limit it, or any other grain.

Have you tried Quinoa? It's actually a seed, not a grain, and a complete protein. I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to rinse several times and it's such a tiny lightweight seed that it's actually a bit frustrating to do.

And there are other grains/seeds you might try. I have a bag of millet in my pantry with a recipe for pudding on it.

I stopped eating Quinoa. Because I saw 2-3 small acne that formed!

I was thinking of adding Quinoa first, than oats... etc. I have to find out what breaks me out.

I think for most people old fashioned real oats aren't going to be a flare for acne like eating bread and other types of grains. I've been eating two cups of oatmeal every morning which is 4 servings for more than 6 months and I can't attribute it to ever causing me to break out. If anything oats will help with acne because of the high amount of fiber. You need a lot of fiber every day to keep pushing toxins and things out of your body.

Just curious, but what kind of oats have you guys been eating? I know there is the instant kind (with or without sugar), rolled oats, and steel cut.

I tend to eat oats quite regularly, but I do tend to soak it over night to aid digestibility. I don't think oats are that bad in regards to acne though to be honest. I mean, conversely with bread you have a processed grain often with other not so good stuff added to it (salt, sugar, additives etc.) and you have the whole issue of gluten which is not tolerated that well by alot of people. I think thats where the real problems lay.