Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey carrie im sorry for the way i commented, i didnt mean to be disrespectful

hi kelly, thats good taht your slowly getting off the drugs, people dont realize they dont cure anything and are really bad for you. hope all goes well for you!!

keep trusting in God, all he wants is your faith and for you to lay down all your troubles and anxieties on him. he loves us so much, and will never leave our side. he knows everything were going through

Do you tell insulin dependent diabetics to lay off the insulin and trust in god? I sure hope not. Neither should you be telling someone not to take medications for a psychiatric condition.

no of course not

hey carrie im sorry for the way i commented, i didnt mean to be disrespectful

hi kelly, thats good taht your slowly getting off the drugs, people dont realize they dont cure anything and are really bad for you. hope all goes well for you!!

keep trusting in God, all he wants is your faith and for you to lay down all your troubles and anxieties on him. he loves us so much, and will never leave our side. he knows everything were going through

Do you tell insulin dependent diabetics to lay off the insulin and trust in god? I sure hope not. Neither should you be telling someone not to take medications for a psychiatric condition.

no of course not

What about an apology to everyone you offended? You also upset me too

I'd just like to say... I think rand0m is/was sincerely trying to help but perhaps not realising how he was coming across...

I don't think psychiatrists are evil or simply out to get money. I think that kind of thinking is extreme and very paranoid, to be honest.

And I do know of one person who tells me she's very happy on antidepressants and has been for a few years now. Her health problems have increased though. So basically my advice was that it is highly, highly important to try other things first... because if antidepressants are not suitable for you, which from talking to other people is the case more often than not, you REALLY don't want to get started on them.

I'm a Christian but I don't believe antidepressants are evil or wrong - if you sincerely try other things first and feel you need to try go down the medication route, don't feel ashamed but just take it easy... try and look at it as dual therapy of health and lifestyle choices + [hopefully a low dose of] medication.

Best of luck to anybody out there battling the black dog.

Alot of nagative reviews here..Mmmm

I take the antidepressant rameron and I have not experienced any bad things about it

I think it has helped me

People expect it to fix everything and thats not the case so alot of the reviews are just from being disappointed

I've been going through anxiety and depression for about 5 years now. I used to be a druggie and a heavy smoker. I'm positive that the drugs made my situation worse. I pretty much broke down 14 months ago, got fed up with everything and quit all my drugs (i was using stims like ecstacy and cocaine, smoking weed, etc). I also quit drinking and even quit smoking which i thought would be impossible. The withdrawl i had to go through put me into some SERIOUS psychosis. At that point, i was breaking out everywhere, losing hair everywhere, gained serious weight, ridiculous short term memory loss and SEVERE ADD, etc., etc... it wasn't pretty. That was the lowest i had been ever in my life.

So, anyway, i visited a shrink and a bunch of doctors to face my problem. They all tried to push anti-depressants on me. At first, i was all for it. But, i eventually decided not to take any pills. I went to four different doctors and they all prescribed me different anti-Ds. I didn't know which one to go with and it didn't matter since i decided that i wasn't going to go the pill route - i was convinced that these drugs weren't too different from some of the drugs i used to do (side-effect wise). I'm probably not being fair to these pills since i haven't even given them a chance, but i didn't want to take that chance. Not yet anyway. Not until i've exhausted all the non-medicine options.

I'm not back to 100% yet, but, on average, i've been getting better everyday. I've come a long way, actually. This is how i've been recovering (this part of my post is gonna sound like Kelly~~):

1. See a counselor or a therapist. Also, read The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns. This book gets my highest recommendation. It's helped me TREMENDOUSLY. It's pretty much a do-it-yourself cognitive behavioral therapy. Just search for the title in amazon and read the reviews for yourself. Please, go out and borrow, buy, or steal a copy of this book and read it. And do all the exercises! Reading this book helped me to move onto the following steps:

2. Change to a diet that's right for you. You can begin by cutting out the junk like any refined foods, any foods with additives and preservatives, sugar, artificial sweetners, caffeine, etc. Your diet's gotta be clean. Don't overeat or get stuffed. I got acne-free just from changing my diet.

3. Exercise! Aerobic, Anaerobic, and stretching, do all three. You don't need to do them all equally, but make sure you get them all into your routine. Let me take this opportunity to recommend another book: Buy or borrow The Genius of Flexibility by Bob Cooley. I was inactive for YEARS and when i picked up exercising again, i was in serious pain for days... from just running half a block! I couldn't lift anything or stretch without injuring myself either. But, that book was godsent. The exercises in there are great because it's muscle building/toning, cardio, and stretching all at once and at the same time. Google "resistance stretching" to find out more about it.

4. Sleep! Try to sleep between 10pm and 11pm. Try your best to get 8 hours of sleep. This can be REALLY difficult to do if you're dealing with anxiety, but having a good diet and getting some good exercise can help you to sleep better. For a couple of years, i was only getting 3 to 4 hours of sleep a day, now i get to sleep about 8.5 hours a night. It's great.

5. Get plenty of sunshine without getting burnt. If you wear shades, make sure to get at least some sunlight without the shades (for 20 minutes at least).

6. Get out and socialize. (i'll admit that i didn't do too much of this when i still had a severe acne problem, but i made an effort to go out as much as i could).

7. find some form of meditation and do it (deep breathing, visualization, yoga sutras, praying to God (if you believe in one), dancing, etc.)

8. Watch tv, listen to music, rent some dvds. Get distracted, but not addicted.

People expect it to fix everything and thats not the case so alot of the reviews are just from being disappointed

You're wrong. My Mom is the one who suggested I take anti-depressants. so, I listened. I didn't expect it to fix everything. I just took it because my Mom told me to. When I took it, my thoughts and behavior were abnormal. I was on anti-depressants for 2 long and harsh years. So, I got off it. at first, my abnormal thoughts and behavior remained. but as time passed by, they vanished.

Ever since then, I've been against it. People are different. It may work for some but not for others.

I'm just warning people, not to depend on pills for everything (because you know, those kinds of people exists. Like the kind of people who want the easy way out. Instead of excercsing and eating right, they depend on diet pills to lose weight.)

(I've been using the acne.org regimen for years now and lurking on these boards, but I finally registered for the forum specifically to respond to your post. I hope this will be of help to you. :D)

I am 19 and I was on anti-depressants for five years. I was diagnosed with clinical depression after trying to commit suicide when I was 13. I saw a psychologist and psychiatrist often to "talk out" my problems. I took Prozac for a couple years. The dosage had to be upped so often to keep up with my depression that it got to the point where the dosage would be toxic for my body so I was then switched to Effexor. I also tried committing suicide a couple times while on anti-depressants (which just shows how much good they really did for me lol).

These drugs will not make you happy. They will not make your sadness go away. They just numb you to everything. While taking the drugs, sure I didn't want to kill myself anymore (or at least I didn't think about it as much as I had before I began taking them), but I felt numb. Anti-depressants cut out the bad feelings, but they also cut out the good. It left me neutral and numb to all emotions.

I know how it feels to not want to get out of bed in the morning and just lie in bed and sleep all day and that sad feeling in the back of your mind that always is there - even when there is no reason for you to feel sad. It's awful. Now, after being off the meds for a year and a half, I have never felt happier in my life.

There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance. The following is a video with psychiatrists at the American Psychological Association (APA) Convention all saying that there is no scientific test to prove mental illnesses exist and that they have no cures for these unproven mental illnesses.

youtube.com/watch?v=UHu7Ik36128

Also, cchr.org has a lot more info.

Thanks so much guys. All of your posts are actually really helpful because its hard to find someones real complete experience online. I did go to the psychiatrist, but just for an initial get-to-know-you type thing. I'm still not sure about meds. I keep flip flopping back and forth =/. Its terribly stressful in itself. I will post more later tonight but the reason I haven't been on here the last couple days was SATs yesterday and AP test tomorrow. Thank you so much I'll respond/update soon!

PS My biggest worries on the ADs are acne & memory loss. =/ I think that would make me more upset. Ugh. Its all so confusing sometimes. I'm really intune but lately I don't even know. It seems there's so much wrong with me mentally.

Thanks so much guys. All of your posts are actually really helpful because its hard to find someones real complete experience online. I did go to the psychiatrist, but just for an initial get-to-know-you type thing. I'm still not sure about meds. I keep flip flopping back and forth =/. Its terribly stressful in itself. I will post more later tonight but the reason I haven't been on here the last couple days was SATs yesterday and AP test tomorrow. Thank you so much I'll respond/update soon!

PS My biggest worries on the ADs are acne & memory loss. =/ I think that would make me more upset. Ugh. Its all so confusing sometimes. I'm really intune but lately I don't even know. It seems there's so much wrong with me mentally.

Good luck on the tests!

If you are worried about the ADs, I think you should not use them! It is your conscious that is speaking to you, telling you not to!

You are very intelligent! You do not want that to slip away in the case of a side-effect...

I think only if you truly believe you will not ever get better from counseling or time, then that is the time when you should choose to use ADs.

I feel I should comment again on this post, even though Manda and I have been sending PMs.

I think we all need to remember here to not indulge in black and white thinking because it's destructive and really unhelpful.

And in fact when dealing with mental illness treatments it can be plain dangerous.

Any time you say 'meds will make you worse' or 'meds will make you better', you're making claims that you can't back up... because the truth is that for some people they may really need medication and for some others they may not.

Mental illness is a bit tricky... the brain is the least understood part of our anatomy's still. That's why psychiatrists are required to study for like a decade. So rule number one is go to a real psychiatrist, don't go through a family doctor or GP.

If you have a strong history of mental illness in your family, particularly things like bipolar, major depressive disorder, schizophrenia, and suicide, then you may need meds. I strongly believe one should do all they can with alternative and lifestyle stuff I've listed already (and preferably before meds) but it is possible that you may still require medication.

The aim is to not be extreme either way, here... if you need to go on meds, this is not going to mean you are a) a different person b) gonna get worse or better, necessarily c) 'giving in'...

antidepressants themselves are not evil... neither are psychiatrists, that is crazy thinking right there... I think antidepressants are WAY over prescribed by GPs especially, and I believe everyone who is experiencing serious mental illness should consult a psychiatrist if they wish to try medication.

It's not all one way or the other.... just like with my skin regime, I try my hardest to not wash my face or do anything to it as much as possible... but if I do wear make up occasionally then I use a gentle cleanser to get it off... I don't give in and go 'well I have to use topical stuff and make up daily' or 'i can't ever wear make up again'.... extremes are dangerous!

ALSO... meds, if used properly by a professional and as a mechanism for short-term recovery, and IN COMBINATION WITH LIFESTYLE CHANGES (sleep, diet, exercise, mind techniques) and in the lowest effective dose... this can be the best solution for some people. It's not wise to completely write off anything and it's not wise to 100% believe in something for all ppl in every situation....

I hope that made sense. Manda, if you respond to alternative/natural stuff, then stick with that. If, however, you really make an effort of it and still struggle with depression etc, try the meds but do it sensibly...

peace and best wishes to anyone battling the black dog,

kelly

i just want people who are struggling out there to be filled with hope and peace. i know the majority of the people reading this will reject it and reply with a stubborn attitude (so to those people, please dont respond). but for the people who are open and willing.. God is loving and is the Creator of everything. theres a place for us in heaven who accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

Hey, I also have depression, and i have OCD and generalised anxiety disorder. My thoughts on medication are varied. I have never got any bad side effects from medication, but some people will.

Medication has helped me, but doing other things to help your depression is also important. Taking excercise, eating a balanced diet, eating enough good carbs, drinking lots of water, getting enough sun light, meditation, are some of the things that have helped me too.

Personally, I don't mind taking medication, when i don't i feel bad, I know alot of people will tell me how bad it is for my body, i am awear of the health risks, but i have tried alot of things, but without meds too i don't feel good. That is just my experience though.

Also random: i am also a christian, and i don't think there is anything wrong with taking meds, God knows i need them to help with my mental health, praying does help alot too though.

you dont feel good without meds because of the withdrawal. anyone who takes meds and plans to stop will feel worse. so i understand what you mean. but if meds help, then go for it. as long as you keep praying and trust in God. good luck my sister in Christ

edit: bella i recommend reading those daily sermons by david wilkerson. it is realllly helpful

you dont feel good without meds because of the withdrawal. anyone who takes meds and plans to stop will feel worse. ...

There you go again, not knowing what you're talking about.