Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey there, I'm on antidepressants as well. Or really, I was. I kinda stopped taking them, reasons to my own.

I didn't feel much obvious difference when taking them, but coming off them abruptly sure messed me up a bit. It does depend on every individual as well, but just remember a large majority of people can be helped by these and therapy.

But honestly, what gets me through the days and nights is my closest friends. Not pills. Though therapy helped a bit, it got me to realise stuff about myself I'd never figured out before.

so you plan on taking drugs forever and do harm to your poor body that the Lord has given you? and waste money on each appointment and for your pills for the rest of your life?

Well, Rand0m, no.

I don't intend to take drugs forever. Health care is covered by my tuition, so I actually don't pay for appointments. Celexa is $2 a bottle. That's less than a bottle of cough syrup.

I did more physical harm to my body because of OCD than Celexa is doing currently.

I won't quibble about theology here, but if the 'Lord' put you on this earth with a physiological condition and gave you access to medication, it seems only right to take advantage of the opportunities that are available to you.

I mean, if God gives you acne and benzoyl peroxide, it seems logical to use it.

I know little about depression so would have no business advising against medication in favor of healthy lifestyle. But perhaps you could do both with the idea that you will get off the medication?

Do you exercise, get some sunlight, sleep well, eat well? Do you get plenty of omega 3 EFAs and other nutrients known to help with depression?

If people wants to take anti-depressants, that's they're decision. I can't really stop them. That's like people who smoke or drink alcohol. It's they're decision to do so.

For me, I'm against anti-depressants (as you can tell earlier). Just like I'm against smoking, alcohol, etc.

Scotty93-- I looked up that song on youtube =] Not a genre I'd typically listen to but it was very nice and positive. Music is indeed one of the only things I depends on. I can't believe she is playing such hurtful games with you =[, but I hope you keep having fun with or without this girl. =]=]

Ezento98 -- thanks so much for sharing your negative experience with the drugs. I can't say I've been physically abused but have watched a sibling be and that can be painful as well. I'm glad your feeling better now. What medication(s) were you on? And also, are you at college now? Did you feel happier after high school? (Knowing my personality type I'm not sure I'll feel better but I think I'll have more motiviation working at things I actually care about).

rand0m -- So do you believe things like acne, etc. are all God's challenges? Also I'm not Christian, leaning more towards neopagan type beliefs, but I still respect your faith and faith itself is always helpful.

Klp -- Thankyou so much your experience was helpful. In regards to your diet, what did you use to get good fats? I'm aware of vegetable oils, nuts, (peanut butter), etc. I have a hard time getting some of the healthy fat in because I'm a vegetarian. And also won't take fish oil pills. Can you give me any advice? So you're saying less carbs = less depression for you?

Carrie -- I am very.. bothered.. that it has a side effect of acne. But I think gaining weight would be even more upsetting to me. Wellbutrin is the only one I can find that seems to both maintain weight and not cause other terrible side effects. I wonder if it did induce acne would it get better once I was off the medication? Did it for you? I'm sorry about the lithuim experience. Thanks for the psychiatrist advice too, as I've never been to one before.

Eyramore -- Does Celexa have any bad common side effects. (Obviously they all have pretty severe, less-common ones).. Did Celexa make your acne worse? Or cause you to gain weight?

Leonardo -- I'm glad your friends are helping. Maybe they didn't work but at least they didn't make things bad (while you were on them).

Alternativista -- Is flaxseed a way to get those? Also are there any other good sources that aren't made from animals? Thanks so much for replying!

Wow I didn't realize so many people were going to reply. This site is wonderful <3

Ezento98 -- thanks so much for sharing your negative experience with the drugs. I can't say I've been physically abused but have watched a sibling be and that can be painful as well. I'm glad your feeling better now. What medication(s) were you on? And also, are you at college now? Did you feel happier after high school? (Knowing my personality type I'm not sure I'll feel better but I think I'll have more motiviation working at things I actually care about).

to tell you the truth, I don't know what kind of anti-depressants I've been taking. My Mom is the one who took me to all the psychiatrists and all. They all prescribed me all sorts of pills.

Yes, I'm in college right now and I'm loving it. I felt happy after high school because I finally told my friends about my abusive past. Throughout high school, I've never told anyone because I was afraid what they'd think of me. But I love my friends, they did everything to make me happy.

Scotty93-- I looked up that song on youtube =] Not a genre I'd typically listen to but it was very nice and positive. Music is indeed one of the only things I depends on. I can't believe she is playing such hurtful games with you =[, but I hope you keep having fun with or without this girl. =] =]

rand0m -- So do you believe things like acne, etc. are all God's challenges? Also I'm not Christian, leaning more towards neopagan type beliefs, but I still respect your faith and faith itself is always helpful.

Klp -- Thankyou so much your experience was helpful. In regards to your diet, what did you use to get good fats? I'm aware of vegetable oils, nuts, (peanut butter), etc. I have a hard time getting some of the healthy fat in because I'm a vegetarian. And also won't take fish oil pills. Can you give me any advice? So you're saying less carbs = less depression for you?

Carrie -- I am very.. bothered.. that it has a side effect of acne. But I think gaining weight would be even more upsetting to me. Wellbutrin is the only one I can find that seems to both maintain weight and not cause other terrible side effects. I wonder if it did induce acne would it get better once I was off the medication? Did it for you? I'm sorry about the lithuim experience. Thanks for the psychiatrist advice too, as I've never been to one before.

Eyramore -- Does Celexa have any bad common side effects. (Obviously they all have pretty severe, less-common ones).. Did Celexa make your acne worse? Or cause you to gain weight?

Leonardo -- I'm glad your friends are helping. Maybe they didn't work but at least they didn't make things bad (while you were on them).

Alternativista -- Is flaxseed a way to get those? Also are there any other good sources that aren't made from animals? Thanks so much for replying!

Wow I didn't realize so many people were going to reply. This site is wonderful <3

Thanks for giving me someone to respond to. It got worse today.. I felt depressed again. But I tried to quickly get out of it and thank God I did. I am just going to try and ignore her from now on. I'll be nice about it, but that's about it. She tried to text me with something flirtatious, but I know she was just trying to make me feel better. Everyone was coming up to me today asking what was wrong; it actually felt good seeing all these people that care for me.

I am glad you liked the song. Just judging by your comments, it seems to me you are already having a brighter look upon life!! :angel:

Here is a list of common side effects.

http://depression.emedtv.com/celexa/celexa-side-effects.html

I started Celexa with the intent to get off of it as soon as I could reign in my self-destructive tendencies. I exercise fairly often. I'm healthier than the average person. I just can't get over my OCD.

As far as I've noticed, Celexa has not given me any more acne. And I'm pretty obsessive about my acne so I'm pretty sure I would have been able to tell. I also have not gained any weight. I've actually lost weight, but I don't know if I can attribute that to Celexa.

I'm getting off Celexa anyway, because in spite of all it has done to relieve my anxiety and OCD, it makes me really sleepy.

I'm not entirely for anti-depressants or against. Every person's situation is different. For some people, anti-depressants have been a god send. For others, it's another thing that doesn't work.

I agree with alternativista, if you do decide to go anti-depressants, couple it with exercise. If you're still uncomfortable with the idea of anti-depressants, I wouldn't recommend taking them. I don't think it's a good idea to take psychiatric drugs with the belief that they won't work. It seems self-defeating.

I'm glad to hear that you're researching and concerned about what you're putting into your body. I'm very cautious about the products I use and the medications I take because I think it's important to understand what you are doing to yourself.

Bottom line, do what you are comfortable and think is best. Don't let people try to push you (including your psychiatrist) into taking anti-depressants if you think you can handle it on your own. Still, don't rule it out as a possibility.

ezento98-

Oh gosh multiple pills doesn't sound fun =/. Thanks that gives me hope that college will be better. And wow I'm opposite of you. I open up about depression really easily and when I'm really bad I just go crying to all of my friends. Until I reach this point where I think I'm annoying, and then I hold everything in - like you. I guess I kinda cycle? hmm.

Scotty93-

Awe I'm sorry. Yes please put yourself first. I'm sure even more people than you know care about you. Some people are just too flirty for their own good that it hurts others. I don't know but if you're like me, honesty is important and it sounds like you just want her to be straight with you. I'm sure if you ignore her she will either come around and respect you, or she will keep playing silly games and not learn anything-but you will. I hope things work out for the best.

I was actually feeling pretty paranoid today over stupid things with my boyfriend. And so I was planning today to be a good day and spend time with him and things to all become more comfortable but then I woke up so sad and he didn't come to school and things just sucked and I cried a little (but not so anyone could see/notice) in health. Ugh. But yes I'm trying to be positive and the sunny months help me to be. =] Thanks.

Eyramore -

thanks so much I agree with everything you said. I'm glad you're healthy and care about your body and mind. I try to do the same. Maybe I should compare celexa as well. Though I'm kinda in the same boat about needing alertness for school. & Thanks for the link *goes to it*

ezento98-

Oh gosh multiple pills doesn't sound fun =/. Thanks that gives me hope that college will be better. And wow I'm opposite of you. I open up about depression really easily and when I'm really bad I just go crying to all of my friends. Until I reach this point where I think I'm annoying, and then I hold everything in - like you. I guess I kinda cycle? hmm.

I'm a guy. I get very emotional when I talk about my past. Back then, I thought that being emotional wasn't manly. hehe, what was I thinking??

ezento98-

Scotty93-

Awe I'm sorry. Yes please put yourself first. I'm sure even more people than you know care about you. Some people are just too flirty for their own good that it hurts others. I don't know but if you're like me, honesty is important and it sounds like you just want her to be straight with you. I'm sure if you ignore her she will either come around and respect you, or she will keep playing silly games and not learn anything-but you will. I hope things work out for the best.

I was actually feeling pretty paranoid today over stupid things with my boyfriend. And so I was planning today to be a good day and spend time with him and things to all become more comfortable but then I woke up so sad and he didn't come to school and things just sucked and I cried a little (but not so anyone could see/notice) in health. Ugh. But yes I'm trying to be positive and the sunny months help me to be. =] Thanks.

Eyramore -

thanks so much I agree with everything you said. I'm glad you're healthy and care about your body and mind. I try to do the same. Maybe I should compare celexa as well. Though I'm kinda in the same boat about needing alertness for school. & Thanks for the link *goes to it*

Oh man! I didn't even know you had a boyfriend; and to be honest didn't even know you were a girl! :lol: But, I'm sure if he is as intelligent as you, then he could give you advice on whatever problems you are having, or whatever seems to be causing the depression, he may have a solution. I'm sure people you have relations with will enlighten you more than a counselor.

Yes. Also, hemp and chia seed, I believe.

ezento98 - haha well the one guy i know who is as emotional as me and also depressed is.. like.. "mysterious" and a bunch of girls like him. XD so apparently being emotional helps? Not that you should pretend haha but yeah I think feelings are pretty unisex.

Scotty93 - hahaha its cool. Sweet so did you assume I was a guy? I like that. Awe thanks for calling me intelligent. I may be in real life but on here I probably make a fool of myself. He helps cheer me up for sure, but he definately doesn't think acne or eating disorders are real problems, and doesn't like antidepressants because he feels that depression is just a phase. So.. yeah. hahahaha. Its a positive outlook for him I guess, but it doesn't help me much?

ezento98 - haha well the one guy i know who is as emotional as me and also depressed is.. like.. "mysterious" and a bunch of girls like him. XD so apparently being emotional helps? Not that you should pretend haha but yeah I think feelings are pretty unisex.

Scotty93 - hahaha its cool. Sweet so did you assume I was a guy? I like that. Awe thanks for calling me intelligent. I may be in real life but on here I probably make a fool of myself. He helps cheer me up for sure, but he definately doesn't think acne or eating disorders are real problems, and doesn't like antidepressants because he feels that depression is just a phase. So.. yeah. hahahaha. Its a positive outlook for him I guess, but it doesn't help me much?

Hah! I don't know you in real life, so if you think you are a fool on here, then you must be a genius!

He may be correct; it may be a phase. I would call my depression a phase, since it occurred in the teenage years, like most everyone else if they had it.

I know it is terrible to assume, but it's just I have never seen a depressed lady. I have seen a stressed lady, but never a depressed. Yes, there is a difference! :)

But what he said is a major help! He is basically saying that you are perfect, hence him stating that he doesn't worry about your acne or eating disorder! He also is saying he thinks you will get better, due to him saying how it is just a phase you are going through. If he thought it was a major problem, believe me, he would be the first to tell ya! :lol:

Hi there.

I have only read the first page of this thread.

I've been on one medication or another since I was 12. I'm now 22. I've been on various drugs that effect serotonin levels, I've been on various antidepressants (SSRIs and tricyclics and some others too) and mood stabilisers... I've also been prescribed the same sleeping pills that Heath Ledger was taking when he died (called Stilnox in australia).

I really, really wish I'd never been put on a drug at all. I wish at the age of 12 somebody had said 'no, let's try other things first' before just putting me on a medication that makes me sleep too much, makes me hungry all the time and gain weight (through self-conscious highschool years), and that would be very hard to get off because it was so sedating and my body couldn't deal with the withdrawal after so many years....

anyway so I had a long battle getting off drugs altogether. And because I was on them so long, I still sometimes need to intervene with drugs because my body got quite messed up by it all. Eventually, I'd say within the next year or two, I should be able to get rid of drugs completely - at the moment I take a low dose mood stabiliser when I need to for however long I need it. And sometimes need to take something to sleep. Also the antidepressants made me really ridiculously sensitive to 'amines' - which is a common effect. So, chocolate and cheese and wine/beer affect me way too much... I get headaches and react to them. Also the anti-depressants set off my inherited vulnerability to bipolar II.... so if you think your moods vacillate a lot, do not go on antidepressants.

The only way I got off the drugs and dealt with my depression and health problems without them was through alternative medicine, specifically my holistic chiropractor (who practices kinesiology) and also with the help of a naturopath.... and lifestyle choices.

With depression it's interesting how the sufferer is so desperate to relieve the pain (i know I was ! willing to try anything!) but yet it seems so very difficult to do the things that are KNOWN to help, consistently. So, I bet you, before you try any hard drugs (and trust me anti-ds are hard, they are very potent drugs) please sincerely and patiently try the following:

- get serious about a good, 'clean' diet. eat fresh, whole foods. variety, make an effort to get as many nutrients in as possible... nuts, a bit of fruit juice, oats, soy milk, salad, bit of potato, lean protein (egg, chicken and lamb are good), yogurt if you can tolerate dairy, ground flaxseed, 'veggie' chips, use olive oil in cooking, try fresh breads with seeds and nuts in them, make an effort to avoid high-chemical highly-processed food with additives (this includes all preservatives, msg/flavouring and added colouring), beware of pesticides on fruit and veg (buy organic or make up a vinegar, lemon juice and bicarb soda solution to get the pesticides off the fruit and veg), drink smoothies..... also, sounds very strange since it's not well known, but sometimes the cause of depression and serious mood issues can be too much copper in the system. You know what this means? It means ZINC is helpful. Often, acne will accompany this problem too since zinc is known to help acne, and it certainly did with me. There's a lot of copper in tap water, hence you may want to try drinking mostly spring water to see if that helps AND taking a zinc supplement. zinc chloride as a liquid is best, I think.

- get serious about exercise. this doesn't mean killing yourself in a gym every single day, but make a commitment to make exercise part of your life, permanently. when you're feeling low, just try taking a walk, or put on old CDs and dance around your house. Or go play tennis or another sport. Since you like running, keep that up, but remember that it needs to be consistent and regular for exercise's benefits to pay off. strenuous exercise (such a running ;-) doesn't help me personally, I do better with walking and yoga etc....

- get serious about sleep. Try going to bed at the same time every day and getting up at the same time every day. Getting up at a regular time each day is the most important aspect. Try to make this as close to dawn as comfortable. For me this is 9am (though I'm working slowly but surely on pushing it back earlier), so don't push your body to do anything, let it recover at its own pace, as comfortable as possible.

- sunlight helps.

- distraction helps too.

- trusting people and talking honestly about how you feel whenever you need to express your feelings. surround yourself with good friends that you know will not mind if you need to have a good old cry.

- cry if you feel you need to cry. sometimes crying is a great coping mechanism and makes you feel a lot better.

- i also agree with the advice to try meditation and things like yoga.

- faith in God helps enormously.

You can get through this hunny! Don't give up. try and accept yourself just as you are right now but don't give up on life.

Kelly.

hi kelly, thats good taht your slowly getting off the drugs, people dont realize they dont cure anything and are really bad for you. hope all goes well for you!!

keep trusting in God, all he wants is your faith and for you to lay down all your troubles and anxieties on him. he loves us so much, and will never leave our side. he knows everything were going through

My brother was on anti-depressants and it made him really closed off, suicidal, quiet, unhappy, and very tried. he became realllyyy anti-social.

and then he chose to get off anti-depressants and he became himself again.

however, everyone's reactions to things like that are different but you really have to put a lot of thought into the side effects

please dont listen to the psychiatrists, they are in it for the money. pills are not the answer to your problems, rather try therapy or natural ways before going that route. pills are not gonna fix anything! pray to the Lord Above for healing and invite him to your life. He can heal you.

good luck!

You do realize not everyone is religious. I hate being preached too and not all psychiatrists are only into the money.

i will pray for you right now. but please for your own sake dont go that route. pills will mess up your brain and ruin your life. do you want artificial happiness? what do you think will happen once you get off the drugs? you will be worse than ever. do you want to take manmade chemical pills forever?

Nothing is wrong with taking antidepressants. Ive been taking them for six years and I feel theyve helped me. I used to cry literally all day everyday and now I dont cry much ever.

hi kelly, thats good taht your slowly getting off the drugs, people dont realize they dont cure anything and are really bad for you. hope all goes well for you!!

keep trusting in God, all he wants is your faith and for you to lay down all your troubles and anxieties on him. he loves us so much, and will never leave our side. he knows everything were going through

Do you tell insulin dependent diabetics to lay off the insulin and trust in god? I sure hope not. Neither should you be telling someone not to take medications for a psychiatric condition.