Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey there. Since doing some digging, research, and stalking this forum I've decided I'll pretty much never buy a topical acne product or antibiotic again. Nor go on accutane again -- miracle acne fixer that gave me 2 months of perfect skin and then the rest of my lifetime to miss it. >:l Anyways. Since a lot of you are of the school of thought that the drug companies are in it for the money and will do more harm than good -- I have a question. I'm going to a psychiatrist later this week for depression. After researching anti-depressants, I want to go on Wellbutrin, as it seems the best fit. (I'm not sure if I'll have say in the matter?) Anyways I was wondering if antidepressants are worth it. Would my health and happiness be better off just living as healthy as possible? I dunno. On the one hand I feel that antidepressants may mess up my body. On the other hand... I'm not just a little sad, and it doesn't go away on its own. I have double depression (dysthemia + major depression), go to a psychologist, am very in tune with myself, and even have a SAD lamp. The depression is just always there, and has been for a long time. If someone has depression maybe they can help me out? Basically before I was all for the antidepressants, but now realizing how much complete crap acne meds, I'm scared the drug companies for antidepressants will be the same way....

Side notes: i'm a teenager. wellbutrin is reported to sometimes cause more acne. *@&#$*#&. =[

i wouldnt know what your mental health state is at the moment. but i would really think it through and see if anti depressants are worth it. you said that you were a teenager, maybe you are just going through a phase since its that time in your life?

have you tried eating very healthy, exercising everyday, and maybe even meditating? im not trying to criticize or anything but i think you should try all the alternative you can before you hit the pills.

please dont listen to the psychiatrists, they are in it for the money. pills are not the answer to your problems, rather try therapy or natural ways before going that route. pills are not gonna fix anything! pray to the Lord Above for healing and invite him to your life. He can heal you.

good luck!

i wouldnt know what your mental health state is at the moment. but i would really think it through and see if anti depressants are worth it. you said that you were a teenager, maybe you are just going through a phase since its that time in your life?

have you tried eating very healthy, exercising everyday, and maybe even meditating? im not trying to criticize or anything but i think you should try all the alternative you can before you hit the pills.

Thanks for replying. As far as I could REALLY ever know, it's not a phase. I have just about every characteristic of depression, as well as cycling of worse periods which is not really a symptom but common. It's also caused stress, binging, terrible grades, zero desire to participate in society or have friends. My psychologist diagnosed me, in addition to my own diagnosis. I wake up sad. I'm not very good at putting into words how depression feels, but basically it's just .. a pit. I actually envy the teenagers whose biggest problems are breakups and drama . -.-

Everything else though is potential. In the past I have eaten healthy on and off -- so I need to stick to it to see if it helps. I run cross country <3 and sometimes track, and am still depressed at those times of extreme training. It only really helps while actually running.. ho hum. Meditation sounds like a good idea too. I can't seem to pray (it personally just feels silly though religious people do seem happier and healthier). I'm spiritual though so meditating may be very fitting.

Wow I over-explain. Sorry. But thankyou I will take that into consideration since those are obviously very helpful to physical & mental health.

i will pray for you right now. but please for your own sake dont go that route. pills will mess up your brain and ruin your life. do you want artificial happiness? what do you think will happen once you get off the drugs? you will be worse than ever. do you want to take manmade chemical pills forever?

please dont listen to the psychiatrists, they are in it for the money. pills are not the answer to your problems, rather try therapy or natural ways before going that route. pills are not gonna fix anything! pray to the Lord Above for healing and invite him to your life. He can heal you.

Hmmm. That's what I'm very worried about with psychiatrists. My psychologist I trust very much since they are there to listen and help but not prescribe medicine. Therapy however usually just helps me feel a little less stressed once a week, but doesn't fix the root problem (the depression). I actually want to be a psychologist so of course I completely agree with you that therapy is great. Have you had any experience with anti-depressants, or are you speaking from general experience with pharmaceutical ''evilness". And thank you. I don't believe in one God but I will try to meditate.

theres also many side affects from taking those pills. you may gain weight, and other worse things than depression. try to be grateful for all the things you have instead of seeing the negative of things you know? you can do this, dont give up.. taking pills means you've given up

That's a good point. I know many people experience withdrawal after antidepressants but Wellbutrin is known to not have that side effect. It basically works to chemically make you happy, and able to manage your life so that when you do come off it (staying on it forever I agree -- bad idea) you can help yourself try to be happy. I am not sure of the lasting effects of a dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

Thanks I appreciate it so much.

i see my sister who has autism take these pills. i saw her go through various drugs and i see no benefit/improvement. in fact, she gained sooooo many pounds and sleeps half the time. she also turned really stupid. she used to have above normal memory and was skinny before.

theres also many side affects from taking those pills. you may gain weight, and other worse things than depression. try to be grateful for all the things you have instead of seeing the negative of things you know? you can do this, dont give up.. taking pills means you've given up

Hmm the gaining weight is a possibility, but that's the main reason I chose Wellbutrin. (Most people maintain their weight on it). I am ready to risk side effects, because honestly I want to feel happiness.

Thankyou. I'm not very good at living in the moment or looking at the positive side, understandably.

i see my sister who has autism take these pills. i saw her go through various drugs and i see no benefit/improvement. in fact, she gained sooooo many pounds and sleeps half the time. she also turned really stupid. she used to have above normal memory and was skinny before.

Do you know what drug your sister was on? Memory would be one of my largest concerns side-effect wise.

theyre all bad.. but it seems like your going to go that route regardless.. so all i can say is try other methods first

theyre all bad.. but it seems like your going to go that route regardless.. so all i can say is try other methods first

Hmm. Well actually I'm 50/50 so I'll still go to my appointment but may just take the standard 'screen test' they give and talk to the lady but not get any meds yet. That'd give me time to weigh the sides. Still, the drugs do all work differently, some much worse than others. Thanks so much for your holistic input!

I was thinking about going onto Anti-Depressants for a while, but decided not to. Currently, I am depressed.. well I wouldn't say depressed, I'd say stressed. But I was also in deep depression like you, even contemplating suicide. I started to research about the pills, but they all came back with negative results for me. I never went to a counselor, either. I just handled most of my problems on my own. Of course, there are unsolvable problems I couldn't fix, such as relationships and my skin disease that has no cure yet, but I am still much better off. I am always happy and cracking jokes nowadays.

I don't know what helped me, to be honest. Just time I suppose. You know what they say, time heals problems. I did pray a few times and just tried to forget about everything.

Please keep us updated on what you choose to do! :)

good for you scotty.. yeah your right.. time heals

and mandy try drinking some organic green tea or something

I was thinking about going onto Anti-Depressants for a while, but decided not to. Currently, I am depressed.. well I wouldn't say depressed, I'd say stressed. But I was also in deep depression like you, even contemplating suicide. I started to research about the pills, but they all came back with negative results for me. I never went to a counselor, either. I just handled most of my problems on my own. Of course, there are unsolvable problems I couldn't fix, such as relationships and my skin disease that has no cure yet, but I am still much better off. I am always happy and cracking jokes nowadays.

I don't know what helped me, to be honest. Just time I suppose. You know what they say, time heals problems. I did pray a few times and just tried to forget about everything.

Negative results as in, all the side effects and risks made you decide against it? I'm really glad you feel good now =] Hmmm. I try to handle stuff on my own, but I don't think its a good idea for me. As much as I want to get better, my mind is affected by the depression and hard as I try, I can't love myself or life, and end up with horrible mental feelings towards myself and such. I have a self-esteem workbook, and running helps. But its not enough. =/ But to be honest I'm really, really scared to go on drugs. Hard as it is for me to admit this, I'm a pretty intelligent person, and I don't want all my memory and intelligence to disappear. =/

Thanks soo much, i will.

good for you scotty.. yeah your right.. time heals

and mandy try drinking some organic green tea or something

Thnx. I love my raspberry green tea <3 so good. Doesn't help for mood much, but helps for fullness =] For the record neither did St. John's Wort.

Negative results as in, all the side effects and risks made you decide against it? I'm really glad you feel good now =] Hmmm. I try to handle stuff on my own, but I don't think its a good idea for me. As much as I want to get better, my mind is affected by the depression and hard as I try, I can't love myself or life, and end up with horrible mental feelings towards myself and such. I have a self-esteem workbook, and running helps. But its not enough. =/ But to be honest I'm really, really scared to go on drugs. Hard as it is for me to admit this, I'm a pretty intelligent person, and I don't want all my memory and intelligence to disappear. =/

Thanks soo much, i will.

Yes, the side effects and risks made me decide against it. I also held all my depression in. Not one family member knew about it, and none of my friends did. Only my pen pals or other people on the internet I could talk to.

I really remember just listening to songs and it enlightened me to have a brighter outlook on life. I remember I did a poetry project a few months ago, when my depression was at its peak. It asked what my favorite song to listen to was, and I had to analyze it.

The song I chose was "Ooh Child" by The Five Stairsteps. I recommend you listen to this. No matter how strange it may sound, now that I recall, this song really did actually help me overcome depression. I didn't just listen to it one time, though, so it isn't some subliminal depression cure. I listened to it multiple times, and then it just convinced me that things truly were going to get better, and as a matter of fact, they have. There are just a few changes that I wish to be made and if the girl that I :wub: would actually like me instead of playing games then I will feel the happiest ever. Not blaming girls, but this girl just made my depression worse, and she is the reason I am stressed right now. She even told me she was playing hard to get :( But besides the girl trouble and other problems I have, I am very happy. I am going through fun times in high school and enjoy being the class clown of all my classes.

I am not too religious, but I do believe in God. And I think God is just testing me with this disease I have been stricken with and the depression I once had. God was seeing if I could make it through the struggle without ending my own life, in which I succeeded. :D

hey there. I've been depressed when I was 14-18 years old. I've been prescribed a lot of anti-depressants and sleeping pills and I can tell you that THEY DON'T WORK.

Save money for better things instead of those pills. For me, what ended my depression was most definitely my friends and family. I'm blessed to have them. I also realized that I'm lucky. There are other people in the world who are worst off than me.

I'm 21 years old now and I'm real happy

By the way, the cause of my depression was because of my childhood. I did not have a good one. I was abused numerous times. I was abused physically and emotionally. They kept spanking me and calling me names, etc

But that's the past, it's over. I should focus on the present and the future. so far, it looks bright for me.......

Anyways, the anti-depressants made me very psychotic. I started thinking about my past more frequently. It made me more depressed. The sleeping pills sucked. I became addicted to them. they didn't make me sleep at all. Not to mention, the terrible headaches I get every morning. Well anyways, DON'T TAKE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS!!! I mean it......

God wants you to FULLY trust in him. in order for this to happen, he will take away your friends, health, etc in order for you to gain (eternal salvation). Surrender your life to God, and he will start to bless you. Listen to christian songs and register to christianforums.com to talk to fellow christians and ask for prayer.

go on youtube and type in hillsong and watch all their videos and read the comments. they helped me when i was struggling as well.

but just dont give up and remember time heals everything. your still young

hey ezento98 good to hear your doing well. what other methods are you doing right now that has helped you? maybe you can share some ways you overcame depression and help manda out

My personal opinion is that you may want to look into natural approaches... now i know this sounds dumb at first but i have had acne too and depression as well.... depression is often a sign that your serotonin levels are too low... there are diets that can help both your acne and depression. I have had great success with both using a low carb high fat diet... I include good fats including traditional fats like omega 3's and saturated fats. Dont be afraid of these... without high levels of carbohydrate these fats help people to lose excess body fat and for those who lift weights they can add muscle simultaneously. It also calms acne and speeds skin healing. Its always your decision because only you know what will make you happy but I'll share my experience... having been on 3 or 4 depression medicines I was presribed adderall and became addicted to it, i got very very thin, i had tons of energy and i could finally focus...however when i crashed everynight as it wore off i would become violently angry and picking fights. Between adderall and depression medicine the side effects were so bad i ended up being admitted to the hospital for addiction and overmedicating. To this day I can still remember the highs i got from these medications. And no they did not cure my depression. I started off innocently thinking some meds might help my sadness and it became an addiction. I will not abuse myself like that again if given the choice. Be careful, and read the side effects, most people get some form of them.

hey ezento98 good to hear your doing well. what other methods are you doing right now that has helped you? maybe you can share some ways you overcame depression and help manda out

Thanks rand0m. What I'm doing now is taking good care of myself. I'm doing my best to live a healthy lifestyle. I'm eating lots of healthy foods and I'm excercising. Living a healthy lifestyle makes me happy because I know that what I'm doing is good for my body.

It's working. One proof is that, I haven't gotten sick in a long time. I remember when my friends all had colds, I was the only one who didn't catch it (=

im guessing you believe in everything your psychiatrist tells you carrie.. btw they will say anything to convince you if they make alot of money doing it. please do yourself a favor manda and dont be anyones lab rat. your still young try to find the root of the problem and dont give up! remember time heals..

I realize the sentiments towards anti-depressants are very negative, but there is a reason why they exist. Depression isn't just a feeling you get when you don't eat right or exercise, sometimes it's much deeper than that. Sometimes there a physiological misses in the brain.

I'm 19 and in my second year of college. I'm on anti-depressants prescribed by a psychiatrist. I see a psychiatrist and a psychologist/counselor.

I eat healthy (5'4", 100 lb) and I exercise two to three times a week, sometimes more.

I experience high anxiety and a mild obsessive compulsive disorder that manifests due to stress, acne dysmorphia, and insecurities about my physical appearance.

I was prescribed Celexa by my psychologist, a month's supply is about $2. He's certainly not making money off of that.

Celexa worked wonderfully by combatting my anxiety and OCD. I didn't brood quite so much, less negativity, didn't stress out in the usual way about exams. I don't obsess as much about my appearance and I pick less.

In short, it works.

On the other hand, I'm experiencing one of its main side effects: drowsiness. I'm currently taking 10mg, the minimum/regular dose is 20mg. Also, as a college student, I don't perform as well academically without stress.

I'm probably going to stop taking Celexa and look for other ways to combat my OCD. Exercising helps control my stress, but it does nothing for my OCD. I need to tackle it from a different angle. But for now, I can't spend weeks adjusting to the drug because finals are coming up and I need to be alert for them. I can't rule them out completely.

Maybe you shouldn't either. Some people experience side effects, other people don't. Everyone's different. It doesn't mean you shouldn't rule it out completely.

Just my two cents.

so you plan on taking drugs forever and do harm to your poor body that the Lord has given you? and waste money on each appointment and for your pills for the rest of your life?