Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dbecks

10% or 2.5% benzoyl peroxide?

Which is better in clearing acne? I understand they will both cause dryness but nothing a little moisturizer won't cure. Also is exfoliating good for you? If so what is the best product. Also what is the best moisturizer out there?

Use 2.5% it has the same ability to clear your skin as 10% but with less drying and irritation. I think dans moisturiser is really good, but cetaphil is also a good choice.

Studies show that 2.5% is just as effective as the 5% and 10% solutions at clearing acne, but without the excessive dryness. I would definitely start with a 2.5% solution and use a light oil-free moisturizer to counteract the dryness if necessary (i.e. Dan's moisturizer). I have very oily skin and I personally think that Dan's moisturizer is a great product and it doesn't irritate the skin when applied after your BP product (like so many others do). Keep in mind that BP is also an exfoliant, but if you're looking for that extra punch, I would try Dan's AHA solution...it has 10% glycolic acid which proves excellent in sloughing away dead skin cells, AND it works great with BP. Please keep in mind that you should use the 2.5% BP for about a month prior to adding the AHA to your regimen. Refer to Dan's regimen for all the details, it is easy to follow and very detailed!