Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
burnt-toast

growing a beard

I shave every day or every other day. and the other day, as i was shaving, it occured to me everyhere i shave i have no acne. I have acne around my chin area and thats it. On my upper lip i shave and barely get any acne. I know some people do get acne in their hair, but i don't get any, so i dunno but maybe theres a link?

any replies would be appreciated, thanks!

Apparently shaving is a good way of exfoliating as it removes the top layer of skin. Or it could be because the oils in your hair are irritating your skin? :shrug:

oh i didn't know that, infact you wouldn't mind telling me what exfoliating is would you, i don't even know what it is and how you do it lol.

but if it irritated your skin wouldn't it make you have spots in your hair?

any replies on shaving would be good! since i kindof need to shave lol. should i do it over my spots? which i don't need to normally, just to exfoliate or whatever.

Basically, exfoliation involves the removal of the top layer of oldest skin cells, so that they can be replaced with healthy new skin cells. There are 2 main ways of exfoliating, manually and chemically. Manually involves using a scrub or razor etc. to scrape off the top layer of skin, and chemically uses chemicals such as Salicylic or Glycolic acid to break down the bonds between cells, to allow them to be removed. If you exfoliate too much you can cause irritation and redness, so you you need to find the right balance that your skin can cope with. Personally I shave every day and use salicylic acid twice a day. If you don't wish too shave you could try a scrub like 'Clean and Clear exfoliating daily wash' from boots. Sorry for the long post :D

And this is about shaving (Wikipedia!) - Wetshaving also has exfoliating properties; first, the action of moving a shaving brush vigorously across the face washes the face and removes dead skin at the same time. After applying the lather with a brush, the use of a double-edged safety razor or straight razor removes dead skin simply by the fact that the aforementioned razors are dragged much closer across the skin and remove dead skin more effectively than a cartridge or electric razor.