Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raddude

My Seborrheic Dermatitis Story

Hello everyone,

I have been battling skin problems my whole life, it's great to have found a place where I'm not alone. Any comments, recommendations, success stories, etc.. are welcome and appreciated. This condition is depressing and affecting every aspect of my life.

Currently I have been diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis by two different dermatologists. Please see photo attached (enhanced to show problem areas better).

My skin type is combination. My forehead, nose and sides of nose are usually oily with noticeable blackheads in areas and open pores. The area around my eyes is red, has whiteheads sometimes and my lashes are falling out. I have had flaky skin for as long as I can remember. I just thought it was my skin drying out after washing it in the shower, I now know this is because of the Seborrheic Dermatitis. My hands dry out easily and I have had itchy skin for awhile now; scalp, arms, legs, etc. My SD has gotten worst at the age I have read that it usually does, 30.

My Seborrheic Dermatitis started getting worst after I had fractional co2 juvia surgery, mainly the redness is a lot worst and in areas that weren't as red prior. It's been 2 months since the procedure. I had this to hopefully help acne scaring and dark patches on my skin (one of which is shown in the attached photo, main problem area). Hopefully over the next month my collagen will start to come in and make my skin not as patchy, dry/oily in areas. My cheeks especially are dryer after the procedure.

I am vegan, so I have been taking vitamin supplements while now. I have drastically increased my intake as this condition worsened. I was vegetarian (9 years) years before becoming vegan (5 years now). I eat pretty regularly.

I am about 100% convinced this condition is caused my an imbalance in the body. I have been having digestive problems for years. The left side of my body/abdomen is constantly sore. Have had tons of tests done and all come back ok, even though I know something is wrong.

It seems to have also gotten worst since moving to NYC from SF 2 years ago. The winter makes it look drastically worst. It's been a lot warmer the past few days and my problem areas aren't as red. I'm guessing this has to do with the oil levels in the skin.

Currently I am trying the following for my Seborrheic Dermatitis:

- Head and Shoulders + apple cider vinegar + tea tree oil + water mixed. Been using 1 week. Wash face nightly. Seems to have been helping with the flakiness, not the redness (which is more bothersome to me).

- Avene redness relief cream and thermal spray water. Helps a little with redness and the dryness on cheek areas. Again this is a cover-up solution, not getting at the cause.

- Vitamin supplements:

Veglife vegan multiple, L-Lysine 500mg, Vitamin E - 500mg, Calmag, Betacarotene - 2500IU, Flaxseed oil - 1000mg.

Going to add this week, about my last hope:

- DrNatura.com Colonix Pack and Flora Protect.

Hopefully this will help cleanse the bad bacteria, the pains I have been having on my left side and digestive problems/abdominal area pain the past few years. I think it's safe to say that my SD has gotten worst over the past few years and it could be in direct connection to the digestive problems I have been having.

- Mitamins Advanced Formula (MAF) for Seborrheic Dermatitis, In combination with the cleanse (mainly colon) I am hoping this helps get my body's nutrition levels balanced.

Have tried:

- Olay gental foaming face wash with aloe, will continue using nightly after if the Head and Shoulders mix does not work. Using both caused my face to dry out.

- Slew of lotions and anti-ance regimes.. baby lotion, Aveeno, radient Nutritioniste skin renew, Aquaphor, cover-up (which I think might make SD worst in area used) etc..

- Doxycycline

Mainly used for acne problems not direcly related to SD. Have tried a couple times over the years. Dries out skin.

- Desonide Cream

Helped red areas from SD a couple days, but this is more of a patch to the problem than actually getting to the root of what is causing it, so I am not using it anymore. Also thins skin.

- Tri-Luma Cream

Used for darkened areas on face, Melasma treatment. Irritates skin.

Used for digestive problems:

- Herbal Guard, Prima Clense, Mens Rebuild, used prior to SD condition worsening to cleanse body.

post-101466-1240771792_thumb.jpg

post-101466-1240771792_thumb.jpg

Hey you said that being on Doxycycline dries out the skin? Really?? I've been on it for the past two months and noticed that my skin seems to be a bit dryer..but didn't know if it was my imagination running wild..

I have SD too and was wondering if Doxycycline kills healthy stomach flora in which case would taking probiotics help neutralize the problem?? MY SD has flared up two months into taking Doxycycline...is there a link?

I find Head & Shoulders too drying to use on my face regularly. Check out the DermaDoctor "Born to be Mild" cleanser .... same active ingredient, much better product, imo.

Have you tried Ketoconazole? I have chronic SD on my eyebrows and behind my ears, and one thing that can calm it down when it gets really bad is this. I use a 2% or 2.5% concentration in shampoo form, leave it on for a few mins (only on the affected areas - 5 mins max) then rinse with lukewarm water. Nizoral is my preferred brand even though it's marketed as an anti-dandruff shampoo. Ketoconazole's sold in gel/cream formulations, but I've never tried those as I prefer stuff I can rinse off.

I have SD as well, and it is a very frustrating, uncomfortable scenario to say the least. You guys are fortunate that your skin can tolerate cleansers and stuff, there are solutions out there. I still struggle with my mine, but I learn to live with it.

Best of luck to you all.

Chase

Save your money.

The only thing that helps me with the redness is a hydrocortisone cream. I'm using a cream that's 0.5% strong. Side effects should be minimal.

im back on the desonide cream, reduces redness but i don't think it's getting to the root of the problem which is what i'm searching for. ordered an AHA so we'll see how that goes. i'm also back on the doxycycline to help fight the acne i've been getting and hopefully eliminate some of the oil production. it's really bad on the sides of my nose/nose/forehead - always has been.

still doing the colon/liver cleanse and now taking anti-candida pills and a couple more supplements. the cleanse seems to be making me break out, but that's a sign that it's working. upping your fiber intake can help fight the breakouts so that's what i did.

i've tried a few oils like, tea tree, coconut and jojoba, but they seemed to make my skin break out with tiny red spots in the affected areas or didn't seem to be doing much. when the area broke out i quit the treatment, might pick one of them back up down the road but want to try a few others first.

after showering in the morning my skin tends to be very patchy oily/dry. it looks it's worst right when i wake up. by mid day my tone seems to even out a little and by early evening it starts to look worst again. when it's looking good i've noticed it is a little paler than usual which is great, but the seborrheic affected spots and acne red marks stand out more.

i can deal with getting acne, i can deal with my skin flaking, but what i can't deal with is the red/browish areas on my face. i have tried almost everything to get rid of these marks and nothing seems to be working, it's a real self-confidence killer.

hopefully the AHA stuff works.

i'm also planning to start nizoral cream/daktarin. i have tried the shampoo dermarest on my face and it seems to help with the flaking, hopefully wearing the cream will help get the the root of what's causing the redness of the skin.

i look forward to the day i defeat this problem and get back to enjoying my life.

curious is anyone has noticed other common areas for SD to attack get worst as other areas improve. my facial problems aren't really getting that much better but over the past 2 days i've noticed the hair right below my belly button and under my arm pits has started itching like crazy.

My diagnosis was fungal folliculitis, not SD, but I am starting to wonder if it was correct. I do get small hard itchy bumps that sound just like pityrosporum folliculitis -- but I also get flaky skin around my eyebrows and flaky red patches right on my cheekbones, and those sound a lot more like SD.

Anyway, in addition to the zinc pyrithione cleanser I mentioned earlier, I've found another product that is helping enormously. It's called Psoriasin, and is an OTC coal tar gel. My skin has completely calmed down and cleared up since I began using it about a week ago .... and this is the time of month for me when things are usually at their worst.

I hope it'll keep working (fungal infections are notorious for gradually resisting various treatments). My plan is to keep using Psoriasin for another week, then switch back to the DermaDoctor cleanser for a couple of weeks, and so on.

LionQueen,

Do you know if being on doxy can cause rashes on the face due to yeast growth? I've been on doxy for about two and a half months and I've been getting odd rashes on my face..and I heard being on antibiotics can cause rashes or folliculitus to occur.

That's how I got mine. I was on a 2-week course of double antibiotics following a kidney infection. Next thing I knew ...... folliculitis. I'd never had a problem with it before.

it could be because i re-added doxycycline to my regimen. this dried out my skin last time i used it, which is supposed to suppress the overactive oil secretion and may have but breaking out in rashes to do so isn't much of a trade off. i have noticed my cheeks are starting to rash the past couple days. i haven't had any problems there before so i'm getting worried the SD is spreading.

the thing that gets me is i'm vegan, i eat really well, an taking every kind of vitamin supplement possible, doing a colon/liver cleanse, taking candex for candida and i am still getting worst somehow. so frustrating.

i ordered refinity rejuvenating hydrogel as mentioned before as my next course of action and maybe a few other things on my long list.

i got to thinking today about environmental factors and how warmer climate help with SD. then i got to thinking about what factors have changed for me over the past couple years when my SD started getting worst. the main thing that changed was that i moved from SF to NYC. when i go back to SF to visit it seems like my conditions get a little better, it's not a warm climate either.

so what else could have changed? the water i was washing with. from what little i know NY adds tons of chemicals and chlorine to the water. i remember when i was a kid the chlorine in public swimming pools would make the skin around my eyes really red so i know i obviously have a reaction to it.

so as another possible measure to 'get to the source' i just ordered a water purification system for my shower head and the faucet i am going to use to wash my face with. odd i haven't read much about this 'source' cause before. here is a couple comments from an amazon reviews of the one i ordered:

"This is, without exaggeration, the best purchase I have ever made.... The added filtration capability truly makes this an essential purchase, not just a worthwhile one, and it has done wonders for my family's severe itchy skin and my long wavy hair. Skin and scalp problems (dermatitis, pruritus, eczema) that were resistant to any type of treatment, including prescriptions, lessened by approximately 80% after using this showerhead. The need for conditioners and styling aids to manage my long hair also decreased notably."

"I have battled eczema and extremely dry skin for a lifetime with countless moisturizers, creams, special body washes, etc. Who know my biggest enemy was my shower?! Now, for the first time ever, I can use regular BAR soap--if you have eczema, you know that this is a major coup! I can see a real difference now when I showered elsewhere on a holiday visit--I'm back to feeling like my skin was a flaky mess. I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone with dry skin and/or eczema. Oh, and as a bonus, it's also improved the quality of my curly hair! Win win!"

thoughts, opinions?

LionQueen,

Do you know if being on doxy can cause rashes on the face due to yeast growth? I've been on doxy for about two and a half months and I've been getting odd rashes on my face..and I heard being on antibiotics can cause rashes or folliculitus to occur.

Was LionQueen on Doxycycline?

There are many different types of antibiotics. Specific antibitiocs address specific types of bacteria. An antibiotic prescribed for a liver infection will be different from a antibiotic prescribed for acne, because the bacterias are different.

Also, yeast infections typically occur on folds of the body, where there is a warm, moist environment.

If you are taking an antibiotic and you believe it is causes a rash you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Don't stop taking the antibiotic midcourse, because the bacteria may not be completely killed and this causes the bacteria to become resistant to the antibiotic in the future.

LionQueen,

Was LionQueen on Doxycycline?

There are many different types of antibiotics. Specific antibitiocs address specific types of bacteria. An antibiotic prescribed for a liver infection will be different from a antibiotic prescribed for acne, because the bacterias are different.

Also, yeast infections typically occur on folds of the body, where there is a warm, moist environment.

If you are taking an antibiotic and you believe it is causes a rash you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis. Don't stop taking the antibiotic midcourse, because the bacteria may not be completely killed and this causes the bacteria to become resistant to the antibiotic in the future.

I believe LionQueen mentioned she was on Doxycycline, but I may have misread...I've been taking probiotics as a precautionary measure, and I haven't really gotten any new rashes, the current ones I'm treating with a 2 week course of steroid use; not on the rocesea / eczema cheek area, I mentioned earlier; followed by moisturization; maybe the rashes were just an allergic reaction to something afterall?

I honestly do not remember which antibiotics I was on ... only that there were 2 of them. Mrs Z's points are excellent.

Hello,

So I've tried a slew of things since my last post and from my experience here's what I can recommend.

Do a cleanse/liver detox/anti-candida program first and foremost.

Take your daily supplements. I take a ton since I'm vegan, but specific to SD I take Vit A, C, D, biotin, acidophilus, L-Glutathione, NAC, garlic pills, oregano pills, a probiotic before meals once a day.

Get your fiber, I take Benefiber. It is extremely important to have regular bowel movements.

Get some sun, very important for Vit D to work effectively and sunlight helps kill the fungus living on the skin causing the redness, flakiness, rash symptoms of SD.

Desonide cream spot treatments when SD problem area(s) become red/inflamed. Use a very tiny amount only when needed.

Moisturize. I feel like I've tried about every moisturizer out there. Use something that is oil/alcohol free and for sensitive skin.

A few weeks use of Dermarest, Head & Shoulders or Daktarin cream on problem area(s). Use every other day or a couple times a week.

Avoid mushrooms, sugar and food/drinks with yeast in them. If you drink beer, avoid beers with high yeast content. I realized the beers that I loved to drink had a high yeast count, which is why they tasted so good. Drink extremely filtered beers like Budweiser, PBR, Coors and light beers (Miller Light, Coors Light, etc).

That's about it, hope this helps someone. I've tried just about every suggestion I could find on these boards and these things seem to be the most important and effective for controlling SD symptoms.

why not use elidel or protopic?

the dermatitis regimen is:

elidel- am,pm for 2 months

mimyx- am. elidel pm for 2 months

mimyx -am, pm for 2 months

then

normal moisturizer am, pm mimyx for ever

that should control it.

why not use elidel or protopic?

the dermatitis regimen is:

elidel- am,pm for 2 months

mimyx- am. elidel pm for 2 months

mimyx -am, pm for 2 months

then

normal moisturizer am, pm mimyx for ever

that should control it.

The idea is to get to the root of the problem. I firmly believe it has a lot to do with the digestive tract, so a lot of my suggestions revolve around this. I have read that elidel and protopic have worked for some though.

I have SD also. It affects inside my ears, inside my nose, all over my face and my scalp. I've tried many OTC and prescription medicines and I've found the best thing that worked for me was sulfur. I've been using Dr. Joesoef's 10% sulfur soap for about 4 months now. I'm using it for SD, face and back acne. This stuff has worked wonders. No more SD on my face (I use a 2.5% prescription hydrocortisone for inside my ears and nose but I only need to use a little of this maybe once a week) and no more face or back acne. My son (age 21) is also using this soap for face acne and chest acne after seeing my great results. He also loves the results of the soap.

The soap is relatively inexpensive and definitely worth a try. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the website but you can google it by looking up Dr. Joesoef's.

They also have a dandruff shampoo that I haven't tried. Instead I just shampoo my hair with the sulfur soap and it has worked well.

i got some of that soap and have been using it for a few days now, seems to be effective. still going to up up with the supplements though. now i just got to figure out how to get rid of the redness left behind on the areas effected with SD.

i got some of that soap and have been using it for a few days now, seems to be effective. still going to up up with the supplements though. now i just got to figure out how to get rid of the redness left behind on the areas effected with SD.

You should also check out makeupalley.com. I've gotten a lot of great tips/advice from there as well as great reviews on products.

Also, I moisturize my face daily with unrefined shea butter which is also probably helping me with the SD.

I have tried a few night creams and haven't liked any of them yet. Yesterday I bought some Lumene Sensitive Touch comforting night cream and am going to give that a shot.