Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
et720

22/m Starting Low Dose (20mg/d) Accutane

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if i'm starting a log the right way (i'm kind of new on here), but here it goes. I'll save you all the whole spiel about my past struggles with mild/moderate but persistent acne as i'm sure you're all tired of hearing people bitch about it. But anyways, after many failed anti-biotic attempts, my derm. decided to start me on low dosage accutane. I had some doubts, but then I researched low dose use of accutane and saw that it has really good results with minimal side effects. So I went back to my derm and signed up with Ipledge and everything, and now I'm on my fourth day. So far I feel great, I can already tell that I'm producing less oil on my face. Oh yea my doc said that I won't have an initial breakout either because my acne isn't severe and it's a low dosage. I can barely notice any aches and pains, so far the only side effects i've really noticed are very minor headaches and slight drowsiness. If you have any questions or suggestions let me know. I'll be updating my progress on here weekly (hopefully).

My doctor really didn't tell me what I should use while on it, but the things I have found helpful/couldn't make it without are:

Cetaphil face wash(Morn/Night)

Cetaphil moisturizing lotion(Night/Sometimes morning after bottom one if your skin is flaky/tight feeling)

Cetaphil Daily facial moisturizer w/ SPF 15(Morning)

CHAPSTICKI use Carmex/Blistex, but I hear people talk about Aquaphor, I haven't tried that yet though. CARRY THIS WITH YOU EVERYWHERE!

Moisturizing Nasal spray(For nose bleeds, you might not need this though)

Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock Lotion SPF 45 (If you are out in the sun for a long time)

Aloe Vera Gel, Hydra Cortisone Cream or Lanacane(For you arms/hands, you might not need this) << This is only if you don't moisturize your arms/hands 2+ times a day. Some people get a "rash", but it's just dry skin and can be controlled easily.

Drink lots of water!!!

I have heard of a Johnson and Johnsons face wash but IDK what it's called, Purpose maybe?

and as for "Oh yea my doc said that I won't have an initial breakout either because my acne isn't severe and it's a low dosage." Don't blame your doctor if he's wrong, he isn't psychic. Mine was mild/moderate as well, and I had a whitehead breakout pretty bad off and on for the first 2 weeks.