Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtman11

Why do people insist on stopping what works?

I have read way too many posts on here about people who find something that WORKS for their skin and then after they get clear they want to "phase out" of it. This logic makes no sense to me because 99% of the time it ends with them breaking out again and trying to figure out what they did wrong.

Once you get clear I understand you may feel like you don't need any sort of treatment and that you are somehow "cured" but please do not be fooled. Your body over time will hopefully grow out of acne but it makes no sense to think that if you use a treatment that works for only a month, that somehow you will be free of acne if you stop using your specific treatment.

Guys we all have acne, some moderate and some severe. If you are LUCKY enough to find something that works for you then half the battle is over! You have no idea how many people search and search and search for SOMETHING that will work for their skin type. If you have found that something then stick with it at LEAST for a year or so. You have to give your body time to naturally get rid of acne which takes a lot longer than a month. All we are doing with these treatments is covering up our acne. Without whatever regimen you have that works, your body will go back to producing acne until it naturally stops.

We all know the psychological problems acne can cause. When we have a bad breakout we don't want to go out with our friends, or be social. Somehow you guys tend to forget about where you came from once your face gets clear for a month or two, and you think your skin is normal. All I'm asking is that you remember HOW you got the way you did if in fact you are now finally happy with your skin. You NEED your regimen...don't be so quick to "phase out" because based on all the stories on this website it won't end good.

Accutane made me clear. It's the only thing that ever did. I would gladly do a second course. But the country I live in has a shit health care system, and I have no insurance so i'm screwed and stuck with my disgusting skin.

Bunny your situation is the ONLY one that makes sense to me. If you just don't have the resources(money or access) to continue your treatment then of course you may have to stop. But doesn't it make you kind of angry when people who have the resources to continue, stop, and then complain that their acne is coming back. I feel for you. Hang in there. People who get clear don't realize how lucky they are and are so quick to throw it all away.

It does make me envious yes that someone found something to clear their skin.

At the same time though I can understand where those people are coming from as well. Even when my skin was clear from accutane, I still had to spend a good deal of time caring for it, and still taking precautions such as never touching my face, never allowing anyone else to touch my face, never touching my face to ANYTHING etc. Even though I had my clear skin and I was so grateful, I still was so envious of the "normal" people like my friends that are so dirty, never wash their face, touch their dirty hands to their face, they smoke, drink, eat unhealthy foods, but yet they have perfect skin. Not saying I want to do all the things they do. I doubt i'll ever get to go camping again in my life because of my skin, my regimen, my need for clean environments and the need to use a clean white towel washed in pure bleach and special hypoallergenic laundry detergent.

Don't we all wish we could just be normal, not have to waste our times on regimens, and just be free of this burden?

you are totally right gtman11, the problem is that people work and work and work to get rid of acne, and putting on all this rediculous products every night isnt fun anymore.

and when they are finally clear, they feel like: lets live a normal life, finally! they stop the regimen, or use less of it, and boom breakout time!

the truth indeed is that a regimen doesnt cure acne, it controls it (that is if you found the right regimen, that doesnt irritate your skin type, and does work for your type of acne, and if you use it right, and your body doesnt get immune to it)

the problem with me is, even though i found a regimen that i believe works for me, i never get the chance to properly test my regimen because i break out like every week! when this happens, im starting to think what i did wrong, mostly resulting in me changing my regimen again.

maybe breaking out is just a fact, maybe it cant be stopped, i dunno

but even thought i find the perfect regimen for me, they comes a time where someone has to stop using it, just to check if acne has cured itself during the years, because you dont want to be using a regimen your whole lifetime (think of the money you spend)