Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lilakroses

should i buy beta carotene pills or vitamin A pill bottle?

hy i was in my local drugstore and i decided to buy some pills

i bought some zinc 50mg which the dosage is fine no more than 50mg dan says lol

now i really want to get more vitamin A in my body cause its good for the skin

but im tossled between getting a pill bottle that says vitamin A or beta carotene ?

can i take both or is that too much vitamin A?

or should i just get one?

but which one should i get ? tossled lol

and what are the recomended dosage for vitamin A

and for beta carotene

im also going to be including a vitamin b complex also in the near future but dont know much about it and how does it help with acne?

and dosage?

oh and uhm if you have other recomended pills for skin let me know lol

hy i was in my local drugstore and i decided to buy some pills

i bought some zinc 50mg which the dosage is fine no more than 50mg dan says lol

but im tossled between getting a pill bottle that says vitamin A or beta carotene ?

can i take both or is that too much vitamin A?

or should i just get one?

but which one should i get ? tossled lol

and what are the recomended dosage for vitamin A

and for beta carotene

im also going to be including a vitamin b complex also in the near future but dont know much about it and how does it help with acne?

and dosage?

oh and uhm if you have other recomended pills for skin let me know lol

I've been eating a handfull of mini carrots the last couple of days and think that it works and is healthier than taking suppliments! You're going to need to eat veggies everyday anyway, might as well eat the carrots.

careful with the vitamin A, it can react with antibiotics like minocycline and other tetracyclines. Increasing their side effects.

Zinc lowers effectiveness so you have to take them with sufficient time in between

Ask your doctor before you take it

i use 10,000 IU of beta carotene. the reason i use it instead of the same amount of vitamin a is that your body only uses the amount of beta carotene that it needs, and gets rid of the rest. With Vitamin A, it's forced to use all of it, which may not be good, and may even be bad.

I can find studies that show Vitamin A has no effect on acne, but I can't

find any that show it significantly improves acne. Do you know of any?

I don't know of any good reason for acne sufferers to take Vitamin A

or beta carotene (though there are plausible arguments against both).

I guess if you take enough beta carotene, you should be able to make

your skin acquire an orange tint, which may reduce the cosmetic

appearance of acne (while increasing the number of people who say

"How come your skin is turning orange?"), but apart from that...

i use 10,000 IU of beta carotene. the reason i use it instead of the same amount of vitamin a is that your body only uses the amount of beta carotene that it needs, and gets rid of the rest. With Vitamin A, it's forced to use all of it, which may not be good, and may even be bad.

The problem with beta carotene is that your body has to convert it to Vitamin A and the conversion process is not going to be 1:1. Your body may not be converting beta carotene very well at all and so if you're relying on just beta carotene in your diet for Vitamin A you may be Vitamin A deficient.

Beta carotene is of course a powerful antioxidant in and of itself that seems to protect against cancer, heart attack, environmental pollutants, allergies and more. However, if you are taking beta carotene or eating beta carotene-rich foods thinking you are getting vitamin A, this may not be the case. If we were truly healthy, humans could indeed convert carotenes to vitamin A, with early studies showing 4 units of beta carotene are needed to get 1 unit of A. This has been revised more than once, and now researchers are saying the ratio is probably higher than 6:1. This means that you need to eat a lot of carotene-containing foods in order to get enough vitamin A. But of course you only get the conversion to take place if you have enough bile salts and fat enzymes to make it happen.

http://www.healthy-vitamins-rx.com/html/beta-carotene.html

Burri found new extremes in the amount of time it takes for beta-carotene to be absorbed and converted, and in the amount that is converted. Among the most unexpected results was a statistically significant difference in beta-carotene uptake and conversion by physically similar volunteers.

About half of Burri's 45 volunteers--male and female--didn't take up much beta-carotene at all. And about half of the volunteers didn't form much vitamin A from the beta-carotene they did absorb.

Variation in the way our bodies respond to beta-carotene is likely gene-based, according to Burri. Nutrition scientists might soon be able to use new information coming from human genome researchers to develop customized dietary guidelines that take into account an individual's ability to convert beta-carotene into vitamin A.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010323.htm

Beta Carotene is NOT vitamin AWith all of the fear and anxiety around vitamin A, many people are led to believe that beta carotene and other carotenoids, often called pro vitamin A are just as good. They are lulled into a false sense of security that their body can convert beta carotene into vitamin A whenever it needs to.While it™s true that many people can convert beta carotene into vitamin A, what most people and even many health professionals don™t realise (or have forgotten) is that this conversion does not happen inside your body, it happens in your digestive tract. This is important to understand as it means that you don™t have a stockpile of beta carotene inside your body that is converted to vitamin A as needed. Beta carotene is converted to vitamin A in the walls of your small intestine in the prescence of bile salts and special enzymes.In order for beta carotene to be successfully converted you also need:1. FatBile salts are only released into your small intestine when you eat fat. No fat, no bile, no bile salts no conversion of beta carotene. This means that your fat free snack of a carrot or carrot juice, while loaded with beta carotene will simply not be converted to vitamin A. A low fat diet does not bode well for good vitamin A levels.2. ZincThe enzymes required to convert beta carotene to vitamin A are dependent upon zinc. If you are zinc deficient your body will not be able to produce the required enzymes and you will fail to convert beta carotene to vitamin A. 80-90% of Australian adults are estimated to have zinc deficient diets. Alcohol and sugar both significantly increase requirements for zinc and vegetarians, unless they supplement are almost guaranteed to be zinc deficient. Children born to zinc deficient mothers will also suffer from zinc deficiency during childhood, especially with our tendency to feed babies and children grain based diets.Poor ConvertersCertain health conditions, dietary or lifestyle factors result in very poor conversion of beta carotene. If you fall into any of the following categories, consider supplementing your diet with either liver, egg yolks or cod liver oil.

* Children convert beta carotene to vitamin A very poorly and infants do not posses the ability and require vitamin A from animal foods.

* Underactive thyroid

* Diabetes

* Alcohol consumption

* Low fat diet

* Crohn™s disease

* Celiac disease

* Cystic fibrosis

* Surgical removal of part or all of the stomach

* Gall bladder disease or surgical removal of the gall bladder

http://goodhealthnaturally.nourished.com.a...e-vs-vitamin-a/