Notifications
Clear all

Dial Soap.

MemberMember
(@irishfairy)

Posted : 04/25/2009 12:47 am

I have used Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser on my face twice a day for the past year and lately my face is starting to break out, so my mom suggested I start using DIAL SOAP!? I was like "Wtf?" I thought my derm told me a long time ago not to use it because it was bad for you or something... But my mom had acne when she was my age and she started using dial soap and it has kept her face clear and dry.

Does anyone use it on this site? If you do, could you tell me your results? I'm kind of scared of switching cleansers/soaps because that usually makes your face worse (in my opinion) but please tell me your stories!

MemberMember
(@uc-951)

Posted : 04/25/2009 1:52 am

I think those bar soaps tend to over-dry your skin. I have oily skin, so it initially helps but you'll find that you'll get more oily, faster. I'm talking about oiliness as it may aggravate acne. Oily skin I heard sort of conditions it to be soft when you're older, so I hear. Might be the one hope for oily ass people like me. Anyhow, I sometimes use the regular Neutrogena bar. I'ts similar but supposedly meant for face and body. I do like it, it doesn't ovvveer-dry, but definitly strips off any dirt/oil. Again, making my skin to naturally produce more oil in maybe a few hours. Anyhow yeah, dial I don't know how well it works. Seems though it would irrate your face skin and dry it out.

MemberMember
(@elgarog)

Posted : 04/25/2009 6:23 pm

Don't use it. It's not even formulated for facial use lol. Use the Cetaphil antibacterial soap if you really want to use a good bar. I imagine the gentle skin cleanser is just not enough to cleanse your skin. You should switch to the antibacterial bar or the Daily skin cleanser which is stronger but still gentle.

MemberMember
(@irishfairy)

Posted : 04/29/2009 10:11 am

Well, I have Oily skin and I used the cleanser for dry skin (because when I looked at wal-mart one day, thats the only kind they had and I sticked to it.)

I used the Dial soap for about four days, and I didn't see no improvement, only my face is really really dry. I bought some of the cleanser for OILY TYPE skin yesterday and I'm going to see if it works any better.

I dont know if this matters or not, but I am a redhead... I use to not think hair color had anything to do with acne, but what do you think?

MemberMember
(@ezento98)

Posted : 04/29/2009 10:29 am

How's your lifestyle? Do you eat lots of fruits and vegetables? Do you only drink water? Do you excercise?

I've changed my lifestyle and I've been cleaning my face with Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and I haven't gotten a pimple in a very long time.

It might be your lifestyle

It was hard for me at first (especially eliminating my soda addiction) but it was worth it,.

MemberMember
(@irishfairy)

Posted : 04/29/2009 10:37 am

I have been working on trying to eat healthier.. I do, however, drink only water and orange juice. Sometimes milk, but thats only when I get to eat muffins at my Grandmama's. :P

I hardly ever eat fast food, and the only exercise I do is 50 push ups a day.

MemberMember
(@ezento98)

Posted : 04/29/2009 10:46 am

Well, my suggestion is continue your lifestyle and continue using Cetaphil. Acne is a disease that requires patience. It's not a disease that will vanish in a couple of days (like the colds).

I believe it's a disease that tests how patient you are (you know the saying "Good things happen when you wait").

MemberMember
(@kairasa)

Posted : 04/29/2009 1:36 pm

If you have oily skin, that could mean your skin is dry. It's a misconception to think that just because your skin has a bit more oil on it, that it's way too moisturized.

I agree though...sometimes parents don't understand. I love my mom, and she had good intentions, but before I decided to become educated on skin care (and I'm still learning ) she would recommend a washcloth and a bar of dove soap. For people who aren't suspetible to acne, that is fine...but for me, it just irritated my skin.

In my experience, it's been best to use a neutral facial wash. Not a body wash or a bar soap. I personally use "Cetaphil for Normal to dry skin". Not the gentle option, but the other one. It basically just washes off makeup, sweat, daily things off your face. I then use my topicals afterwards.

If your skin remains oily throughout the day, I would consider buying a moisturizer and using it at night. See how your skin does with that. I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, but I mix it with 100% Aloe Vera Gel to create a thinner consistency.

Good luck! =)

MemberMember
(@pink_polka234)

Posted : 04/29/2009 3:34 pm

This is gonna sound stange but: I was at a hotel, I didn't have my regimen with me, and I figured I better do SOMETHING or my face would get worse. All they had was the mini soap bars, and this is like a pretty nice hotel so they had a face soap. No detail, just said, "Face" on it. :D It said like gentle face soap or mild or something, so i figured I should use it, I mean, IT WAS THERE... (I'm weird, I like to try all hotel products) and I wet my face and put soap on washcloth and gently cleaned. Weird thing was, my face didn't break out. It seemed to moisturize and clean my face. I don't know if it was because I was in OK (less humidity, and drank more water) but I didn't break out. Mind you, it didn't clear up, but it didn't make me worse. So I suggest you should go and buy just a gentle face soap, maybe gentle is key!

MemberMember
(@elgarog)

Posted : 05/01/2009 2:49 pm

An excellent suggestion by Kairasa. The Cetaphil line is just something you will hear repeatedly in these forums because they are the standard of acne care. I would personally use their Normal Cleanser to cleanse and then apply topicals and then a moisturizer.

Also it isn't prudent to suggest that you are too moisturized because you have oily skin as mentioned above. When you have excess oil it means your skin is trying to moisturize its self because it has been depleted of its natural oils, usually by a harsh skincare product.

THE DIAL SOAP IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN ESPECIALLY IF YOU COMPLAIN IT MAKES YOU DRY!

MemberMember
(@prettyboy909)

Posted : 05/01/2009 11:41 pm

maybe u could use and salacilic and glycolic based cleanser like from the company zirh

MemberMember
(@doitalwayslove)

Posted : 06/26/2009 3:48 pm

I have used Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser on my face twice a day for the past year and lately my face is starting to break out, so my mom suggested I start using DIAL SOAP!? I was like "Wtf?" I thought my derm told me a long time ago not to use it because it was bad for you or something... But my mom had acne when she was my age and she started using dial soap and it has kept her face clear and dry.

Does anyone use it on this site? If you do, could you tell me your results? I'm kind of scared of switching cleansers/soaps because that usually makes your face worse (in my opinion) but please tell me your stories!

I am 17 and i've used tons of different products for my face i even went to a dermatologist and got special creams and spent 100's of dollars on acne products. Then when i got my belly button pierced i was told too use dial soap to clean it because it was antibacterial so i started using it twice a day when i showered including on my face. I used to have moderate acne and after a month of using dial ,my face was completly clear. Ive used it for over a year now and only get one or two pimples here and there. I would definetly suggest trying it but you have to remember everyone's skin is different and you have to try different products and see what works for you.

Best of luck =)

MemberMember
(@dacha)

Posted : 06/26/2009 8:48 pm

If you really want to use a bar, the Basis Sensitive Skin bar is pretty good. If it were me, I would use Dove. Before I was on the Regimen, I used the Dove 1/4 moisturizing bar and I really liked it. It was very gentle, very moisturizing and didn't break me out.

MemberMember
(@draagonys)

Posted : 11/20/2009 11:47 pm

Well, I have Oily skin and I used the cleanser for dry skin (because when I looked at wal-mart one day, thats the only kind they had and I sticked to it.)

I used the Dial soap for about four days, and I didn't see no improvement, only my face is really really dry. I bought some of the cleanser for OILY TYPE skin yesterday and I'm going to see if it works any better.

I dont know if this matters or not, but I am a redhead... I use to not think hair color had anything to do with acne, but what do you think?

I used Cetaphil Gentle cleanser and Epiduo. I immediately saw results and my face did not get worse to get better, but is different for everybody. as i read different stories. I definitely recommended. but Epiduo works different on different people (even my Derm. told me about his patients.) my only concern now is that Cetaphil kind of burns my sides of my eyes and my areas around the nose if i rub it too much, also the the top of lip where the mustache is. This will sound weird and I have been trying to find someone to relate about this so I wanted to mention. I Never use to get pimples in this areas (boths sides of my eyes to the hair line, in my mustache area and by my eyebrows. I am looking into changing my cleanser but I am sooo confuse which to try. Dial soap, don't want neutrogena as it is bad for me, basis, etc? anybody else has this experience with Cetaphil??? please reply

MemberMember
(@livestrong10)

Posted : 06/11/2011 6:41 am

I've used Cetaphil Daily Cleanser and Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser on and off over the past month. They both seem okay. They kept my acne at bay, but they didn't fully clear my skin and they did make it more oily as the day went on. I'm one of those people that do not react well to moisturizers, even the oil-free moisturizers. I don't know why that happens, but now I switched to Dial glycerin soap ( the green bar) and it seems to be doing a pretty good job. My face doesn't feel tight or too dry and it is helping. I just recently had a bad reaction to Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion... no matter what you've heard please don't use it on your face. It was awful, I had large bumps everywhere and uhh. It's so frustrating. So now I am searching for a natural alternative. I like Dial soap, but I'm afraid it might be bad for my skin.

Does anyone know of any good natural products that won't break me out??

MemberMember
(@flowerface)

Posted : 05/19/2019 9:45 pm

I've been aware of yellow dail soap for decades but am not sure whether I tried it on my worst acne as a teen. I happen to use it now with my controlled /mild acne and haven't had a single breakout for a month except when I put coconut oil in my hair the other day, but they were tiny with no heads. It could be thecream grapefruit Neutrogena wash that I'm almost done with but the significance seems definitely since the soap more recently. Besides that, there was just an instant nice effect with the least amount of yellow dail bar as ifI had used Proactiv. However, definitely use a moisturizer right after because it is extremely drying which will cause oiliness to return in a few hours if not already moisturized. Aside from the fluke and oil return this week most likely from my hair oil, I feel cured. Will continue to try with moisturizer as a must. Of course, continue to exfoliate with a brush.

I see that there was also a dail soap specifically for acne (the one I tried wasn't).