Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This will be a long one so prepare yourself.

I'v had acne for about 8 years and I'm 20. I'v tried a few different things but have had trouble sticking to something, mainly due to their incoveniences.

I'm hoping to finally stick with something and get er' done. I am, however, not willing to revolve my life around an acne treatment. So I'm looking to see if this regimen is right for me as well as advice on other options that might be a better fit. This being said, here are my questions about a bit of everything (please number your answers so I can see what's been answered and compare):

1. Is there an optimum water temperature for washing your face? Warm to start and finish with cold?

2. Should I use an exfoliating scrub? If so how often? What time of day?

*3. What should I use to wash my body? I have body acne. I don't want to start the regimen for this, I'm just interested in the best body wash or soap to minimize my body acne. Soap, Wash, Luffa?

4. Are the any recommended supplements? I know everyone reacts differently to different things but a short list of recommend ones would be appreciate so I could try them out.

5. I go to the gym a few times a week and sweat. Should I leave my face as is or wash it off with some water? I don't shower after the gym so I'm wondering if I should wash with water or do nothing.

6. What's a recommended suncreen? I should look for a oil-free non-comodegesomething one?

7. I'm thinking of aha but what else is good for spot treatment?

8. As for prescription acne treatment, what's a good one that doesn't require drastic changes to a regular lifestyle? I tried tri-cyclenin or something like that but it required taking 1hour before eating or 2-3 hours after, I couldn't do this.

9. Does accutane limite anything such as eating, drinking or anything of this sort? Can it simply be taken at the same time everyday?

**10. This is the main one. I don't want my life revolving around BP and the regimen. Here's my problem. I often sleep at my gf's house and wouldnt want to spend all that time doing the regimen and the fact that I may bleach her sheets. Can I simply do it when I can and deal with the minimal breakouts that occur? Will this still be better then no BP at all?

11. BLEACHING. I'm going to have an extremely difficult time doing the regimen with the bleaching factor. I don't want bleached sheets or pillow cases as this doesnt look very nice when my gf is over. Is there a simple way to avoid this if I want to do the regimen at night?

11. Continued. If I do BP in the morning, do I need to watch where I lay my head? Such as pillows, my sleeves, my hood etc... I'm wondering how you regulars deal with the constant bleaching, its the only thing bothering me about the regime.

That's it for now I think. This site looks very helpful, I hope to be acne free very soon.

Have you tried accuatne? It's a pill you take once a day usually for 5 months, you have your blood checked once a month. It's very easy to use, and works amazing! Look it up online. I've also seen huge success with the acne.org regimen. It's what I used to get clear, but my sister used Accutane. I would suggest looking into both..!

1. Is there an optimum water temperature for washing your face? Warm to start and finish with cold?

-Lukewarm or warm water will be fine.

-Some exfoliants can actually irritate your skin and lead to more acne. Manual exfoliants with ground walnut shells or peach pits (or anything similar) have sharp, jagged edges with can actually cause micro-tears in your skin. There are other manual exfoliants with smooth, plastic beads which are gentler on the skin, but may also irritate sensitive skin. And then there are chemical exfoliants, like AHA.

If you want to use an exfoliant, you have to figure out which kind works best for you, and then you can figure out how often to use it. Generally, you shouldn't need to exfoliate every day. And, if you're considering using The Regimen, it's not a good idea to add in any extra steps until after you're clear.

3. What should I use to wash my body? I have body acne. I don't want to start the regimen for this, I'm just interested in the best body wash or soap to minimize my body acne. Soap, Wash, Luffa?

-You can use Dan's cleanser or any other gentle cleanser on your body. Some people have had positive results with Nizoral or Head & Shoulders. Be gentle. If you're scrubbing, it can irritate your skin, which, like I said, can lead to more acne.

4. Are the any recommended supplements? I know everyone reacts differently to different things but a short list of recommend ones would be appreciate so I could try them out.

-Some people do use supplements, but like I said, it's not a good idea to add in anything else until you're clear. If you start The Regimen and add in other steps or factors, you won't know what's affecting your skin either positively or negatively.

5. I go to the gym a few times a week and sweat. Should I leave my face as is or wash it off with some water? I don't shower after the gym so I'm wondering if I should wash with water or do nothing.

- http://www.acne.org/faq.html#sweat

6. What's a recommended suncreen? I should look for a oil-free non-comodegesomething one?

-Try Olay Complete for sensitive skin. It's SPF 15.

7. I'm thinking of aha but what else is good for spot treatment?

-AHA is a chemical exfoliant, so it can also help even out your skin tone and make your skin a bit smoother. However, you shouldn't use AHA when you're just starting The Regimen. Wait until your skin is able to handle the full dose of BP (which will take a month or two) before adding in the AHA. Your skin will need time to adjust to the BP, and adding in the AHA too soon can just be too much.

8. As for prescription acne treatment, what's a good one that doesn't require drastic changes to a regular lifestyle? I tried tri-cyclenin or something like that but it required taking 1hour before eating or 2-3 hours after, I couldn't do this.

-I don't have any advice on this one, because I don't use prescription treatments.

9. Does accutane limit anything such as eating, drinking or anything of this sort? Can it simply be taken at the same time everyday?

-Again, I don't have much experience with prescription treatments, so I can't offer any advice about Accutane.

10. This is the main one. I don't want my life revolving around BP and the regimen. Here's my problem. I often sleep at my gf's house and wouldnt want to spend all that time doing the regimen and the fact that I may bleach her sheets. Can I simply do it when I can and deal with the minimal breakouts that occur? Will this still be better then no BP at all?

-I suppose you could do that. The Regimen is designed to be done twice a day, though, and that's how it works best. When it all comes down to it, it actually doesn't take up that much time, and if you're worried about bleaching your girlfriend's sheets, you can always go out and pick up a few white pillow cases to use when you sleep there.

11. BLEACHING. I'm going to have an extremely difficult time doing the regimen with the bleaching factor. I don't want bleached sheets or pillow cases as this doesnt look very nice when my gf is over. Is there a simple way to avoid this if I want to do the regimen at night?

-Again, invest in some white sheets and pillow cases.

11. Continued. If I do BP in the morning, do I need to watch where I lay my head? Such as pillows, my sleeves, my hood etc...

-Once the BP is dry, it won't really bleach stuff. You only have to worry about bleaching if the BP is moist. So, like, when you first put it on, if you're sweating or are wet for some reason, or if the fabric touching your face is wet.

Hope that helped.

Generally what C'est said, with a few minor changes/additions:

Avoid the walnut shell stuff like the plague. Generally, frequency of exfoliation is personal. No more than once daily, though.

Try using your favourite cleanser and a Buf Puf gentle.

3. What should I use to wash my body? I have body acne. I don't want to start the regimen for this, I'm just interested in the best body wash or soap to minimize my body acne. Soap, Wash, Luffa?

I like Dial antibacterial bar soap (white - no fancy scent) and a Body Buf.

Fish oil and a good multi-vitamin will never hurt you. You can add others later.

White wash cloths and towels, too.

11. Continued. If I do BP in the morning, do I need to watch where I lay my head? Such as pillows, my sleeves, my hood etc...

Sometimes, because of sweating.

Thanks this is great advice.

Following up on:

3. That soap bar you recommended sounds like a good option. Should I avoid luffas? Is there a decent body wash you recommend? If so how should I apply it? Applying cleanser by hand on my body gets expensive.

4. Any specific fish oil?

7. After getting used to BP, what are good spot treatments besides aha?

10./11. I'll def. get myself some white towels but white sheets don't quite match my decor. Getting my gf to change her pillow cases and sheets is a too much. For the most part, things only get bleached when the BP is or the surface I'm touching is moist? Therefor I can wear nice collared shirts and lie on my couch and slip shirts on and off without worrying as long as everything is dry and I'm not sweating? Would my pillow cases only stain if I'm sweating in my sleep?

7. I only use AHA or an extra dab of BP when I need to spot treat. They've been the most effective treatments, in my experience.

10/11. You don't have to have your girlfriend change all her sheets and pillow cases. Unless you move around a lot in your sleep, I don't see why you couldn't get away with just changing the case on the pillow you'll be using.

And sweat or drool (lol) can both increase the chances of BP bleaching your pillow cases.