Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaanku

Drinking and Accutane

I'm new to this site and haven't yet seen anything on this topic, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive.

I started on Claravis (generic accutane) a week ago. I've quit smoking cigarettes and weed (which i've wanted to do for a while). I've also stopped drinking. I didnt think this would be such a problem, but in the last week I've seen how much drinking is a part of being in my mid-20's and social.

For instance, I was out last night with some friends and while they were partying and getting drunk i'm just standing off to the side drinking water.

I've always been known in my circle of friends of being quite the party animal. always the first to suggest taking shots and always partying it up. But now everyone sees me not drinking and asks me why. I'm too embarrassed to say that I'm on acne medicine. i made up excuses that i'm on all sorts of more "socially acceptable" medicines or i just danced around the question.

All of this makes me think that maybe isotretinoin isnt right for me. i think to myself "if i can function socially with my acne, why do i need to take such drastic measures?" but then i can always see people looking at my acne and acne scars when i talk to them.

Does anyone else wrestle with this issue? do you drink while on the meds? how does it affect you? did you stop drinking? what do you do when all of your friends are out getting drunk and your drinking water and soda?

Let's get a discussion going. I hope I'm not the only one dealing with issues like this.

I personally drank when I was on tane, but not very frequently once a week at most. You can definitely get away with a few drinks in my opinion, just don't over do it. I'd also recommend looking into some alternatives to tane. The home light treatments seem promising and I recently started drinking green smoothies which has supposedly helped quite a few,

Where did you get the idea that you had to give up drinking all together while on Accutane? Your derm? This site? I have read it quite a bit on this site, but nowhere in the info that the manufacture provides does it say that you have to obstain from alcohol completely. Yes, accutane can be hard on your liver, hence, the monthly blood tests. But if your tests are fine, and you drink in MODERATION, you should be ok. I have discussed this with my derm and she agrees. I have two to three cocktails when I go out and I have been on Accutane for four months without a problem. I would strongly discourage you from shots and binge drinking, but it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a few drinks with your friends. I went to Mexico for a week and drank heavily the whole time I was there. I was so worried when I came home that my liver test would be bad, but it was fine. It depends on the person, and remember to drink plenty of water also. Good luck in your decision.

I just finished my 4th month on claravis, and I haven't stop drinking. I've never had a bad liver function test, but I do drink in moderation (maybe a beer or two a few times a week). I asked my derm, and she said that a few drinks every now and then were fine as long as my bloodwork didn't show anything bad. Even with just a few drinks, it can lead to a spectacular headache in the morning if you don't remember to keep up with the water too! Also, don't drink alcohol within about 3 days before you get your blood drawn, it can screw up your cholesterol/triglyceride numbers temporarily.

So I'm not the only one dealing with this! When the derm was telling me about the possible side effects being depression, and then she got to the part about not drinking alcohol, I told her I was depressed already. I'm not an alcoholic, but I am a senior in highschool, about to start college... needless to say drinking is a big part of most social activities (whether you like it or not). I didnt drink at all the first month (maybe one beer, max), and my blood tests came back fine. Second month I had maybe 3 or 4 beers one weekend, then two weekends after that probably 5ish drinks, being it was prom and such. I was worried, because my blood tests were 3 days later... but everything came back alright again.

What I do wonder though, if alcohol is affecting my liver or anything negatively with accutane, will it show up on the tests so I know its doing harm?

If you drink in moderation, it shouldn't show up in your blood tests. However you need to note that you cannot drink alcohol at the same time when you are taking accutane. You need to take them at different times, otherwise it may be bad for the liver and in turn might affect the blood tests.

i went out clubbin for my friends birthday and i got drunk,i had alot of shots and everything but im still in my 3rd month on accutane and didnt have a blood test..i kno over here in ireland they dont really care what med u on lol,but yea the next mornin after clubbin i had a rash on my neck ,sometimes i get that coz of the parfumem my skin is very sensative,but in this case i dont kno maybe i got it coz im on accutane,, :think:

...However you need to note that you cannot drink alcohol at the same time when you are taking accutane. You need to take them at different times, otherwise it may be bad for the liver and in turn might affect the blood tests.

What do you mean by this? As in I shouldnt be washing down a pill with alcohol, or I shouldn't be drinking while I am on the medication?

...However you need to note that you cannot drink alcohol at the same time when you are taking accutane. You need to take them at different times, otherwise it may be bad for the liver and in turn might affect the blood tests.

What do you mean by this? As in I shouldnt be washing down a pill with alcohol, or I shouldn't be drinking while I am on the medication?

The first one, basically don't drink just after taking a accutane tablet.

It's interesting that some people's MD's stated they can drink. My derm stated specifically NO drinking "you will be the DD while on accutane". I am also in my 20's and not drinking has definetly hindered my social life. I used to the live in nyc and all my friends are there. So when I go out with them... they drink! They know I am on Accutane, but the bottom line is that it sucks not being able to drink while everybody else is!

When I first started accutane, I was scared to drink at all. Now (after almost 3 months) when I go out, I have a couple drinks (1-3)... again in moderation... I don't have three pint glasses of Long Island Iced Teas! However, I have noticed that a couple days after my night of drinking, I get breakouts. Therefore, lately I have been cutting down a bit more on alcohol.

It means you cannot wash down your accutane pill with alcohol. Your liver will not thank you for it.

I'm new to this site and haven't yet seen anything on this topic, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive.

I started on Claravis (generic accutane) a week ago. I've quit smoking cigarettes and weed (which i've wanted to do for a while). I've also stopped drinking. I didnt think this would be such a problem, but in the last week I've seen how much drinking is a part of being in my mid-20's and social.

For instance, I was out last night with some friends and while they were partying and getting drunk i'm just standing off to the side drinking water.

I've always been known in my circle of friends of being quite the party animal. always the first to suggest taking shots and always partying it up. But now everyone sees me not drinking and asks me why. I'm too embarrassed to say that I'm on acne medicine. i made up excuses that i'm on all sorts of more "socially acceptable" medicines or i just danced around the question.

All of this makes me think that maybe isotretinoin isnt right for me. i think to myself "if i can function socially with my acne, why do i need to take such drastic measures?" but then i can always see people looking at my acne and acne scars when i talk to them.

Does anyone else wrestle with this issue? do you drink while on the meds? how does it affect you? did you stop drinking? what do you do when all of your friends are out getting drunk and your drinking water and soda?

Let's get a discussion going. I hope I'm not the only one dealing with issues like this.

If you decide not to drink at all... that doesn't mean you need to drink water and sit in the corner. Order a soda or juice or something so it's less obvious that your not drinking. Your other option if your leaning more towards the not drinking side (which is probably the smarter idea) is get a beer (bottle) and just milk it the whole night... its all about perception if you are worried about your friends noticing. There are some nights I go out and don't drink... I still have a great time and dance and have fun... just with no hang over in the morning!