Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimball

Do I Really Need A Cleanser?

I've never had a ton of luck with cleansers. I have sensitive skin and they either seem to irritate it or just do nothing. I currently use Paula's Choice BHA 2% and aloe vera gel at night and then I moisturize in the morning. All these products seem to agree with my skin and are helping but my skin still isn't perfect and I get some pimples.

My question is whether or not a cleanser would help me. Things seem to be getting better and I feel like I've made the mistake of getting greedy before and trying more products and then breaking out badly.

I'm not even completely sure what a cleanser is supposed to do. I don't wear make up (I'm a guy) so I don't need a cleanser to remove it. Cleansers aren't antibacterial (are they?) and they don't exfoliate (do they?). I've read that they are intended to help prepare your skin for other products but is that really necessary?

Cleansers help remove oils from the surface of your skin so that the treatments you're using can penetrate better.

If you're doing well without a cleanser, that's great. It might work for you. There are lots of people that don't use cleansers (the Do-Nothing Regimen, the Water Only Regimen, etc.), and that's fine.

Some people clear up better when they use cleansers, and some don't need them. It's all about finding what works best for you.