Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been using retin-a for about a year now and it has helped clear my acne for the most part, but i am still getting a few bad pimples every week.

Is there anyone who has previously used retin-a for awhile but switched to something else that gave them better results?

I also was wondering if anyone has gotten off retin-a and not started using anything else and what happened (like just using water and maybe a cleanser). Sometimes i think about how i have friends who do nothing to care for their skin and they have clear skin for the most part. I want to get my skin to this point but i dont know if its a good idea to not use anything at all because it can obviously backfire.

Sometimes i think about how i have friends who do nothing to care for their skin and they have clear skin for the most part. I want to get my skin to this point but i dont know if its a good idea to not use anything at all because it can obviously backfire.

Ugh I know what you mean! I have friends that are very minimal with their skincare regimens (some actually don't even bother to wash their makeup off at night EEK!) and they have perfect glowing skin. Here I am doing a half hour regimen each night and I still get breakouts...Its F***n rediculous!

EXACTLY!! today my friend was like yeah im still wearing my makeup from last night... and im like k if i did that i would have broken out X100.. like what are we doing wrong...

But i was seriously considering if i was to stop using everything what would happen.. Ive been on medicated creams for the longest time so I wonder if thats the reason why my skin is so sensitive and breaks out in the first place..

bumpp

anybodyyy?

or maybe i am being stupid in thinking i can get off using medication lol... its just that retin-a makes my skin so sensitive and i know in the summer im going to alwaysss be out in the sun ahh.

Try it? Some people have great success in the doing-nothing regimen, and washing with just water. However, some people it makes things worse.

I did it. I went from using it every night to a few times a week. Now I have a half empty tube sitting on my dresser, and I have not used RAM in five months. I still have a couple of pimples, but that's the story of my life. I wanted to give my skin a break because I had been using RAM for over a year.

If someone has success with the do-nothing regimen, they've grown out of acne.

Those of your friends who have clear skin and do nothing to maintain it: yes, well, they don't have acne in the first place!

I would not worry about your friends having clear faces and not doing anything about it, I'm 21 and I have had friends since the age of 17 who have never had to wash their face. Some of it has to do with genetics, how much sebum your face produces.

The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is, if you are using alot of retin a, it will dry out your face constantly, then your face feeling so dry will start to produce more sebum to keep it oily, which will continue a cycle of creating pimples. This can also happen with washing your face to much.

And I dont think a do nothing regimen is the answer, if you have acne now, doing nothing will probably only worsen things. I would suggest maybe changing the way you do things. Possibly wash your face less, use less retin a. If you put it on during the day try stopping for a few, and only putting it on before bed. I hope this can help, I've never used any other topicals that worked like retin a, it has done wonders for me. And like i've said before, being patient and not letting acne bring you down is the best thing you can do.

I agree with jrhodes870 on the topic that doing nothing is not a good idea. About 10 months ago I had mild acne. I was reading these forums and discovered the "miraculous" water only regimen.

I did that for about 2 weeks and it changed my mild to moderate acne. I went to the doctor and he prescribed me retin a and doxycycline 100mg. I have been using both since Sep. 11, 2008 and have gotten a complete turnaround on the condition of my acne. I am safe to say that I am close to being clear, with the exception of the occasional pimple. Anyway, before I ramble on some more, my advice is to NOT do the water only regimen. Plus, why would you not want to have a clean face.

Good to hear another success story of modern medicine :dance:

If you are thinking of stopping retin-a, I would slow wean yourself off it. Maybe start with every other day, then going every 2 days, and so on. See how your skin responds to it. I think that is the most crucial part to treating acne... and that is to know when to use more or less. Everyone is different.

Oh yea, don't forget to exfoliate if you do stop the retin.

As of now all my regimen is using makeup wipes and oxy pads to clean my face, plus I exfoliate maybe once a week. If I wash my face everyday my face would get too try because of the retin a. It's not like I'm doing TOO much in the first place. I only started to think about getting off retin a because I noticed improvements with my skin after I stopped relying on cleansers.

I guess the only thing I can do is try it out but I'm scared :|

As of now all my regimen is using makeup wipes and oxy pads to clean my face, plus I exfoliate maybe once a week. If I wash my face everyday my face would get too try because of the retin a. It's not like I'm doing TOO much in the first place. I only started to think about getting off retin a because I noticed improvements with my skin after I stopped relying on cleansers.

I guess the only thing I can do is try it out but I'm scared :|

Try a moisturizing with aloe vera or jojoba oil like 30 mins. after applying retin-a , then jojoba oil after cleansing your face in the morning.