Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLRG

LiveLRG's Accutane Log

Here is where my story begins...

I'm Rob, I'm 21 and since I was 13, I've had the misfortune of having occasional breakouts due to my naturally oily skin. Lately my problems have gotten worse, and I think it's because I stopped taking tetracycline.

Last week:

I went to the derm, I told him that I've tried everything and nothing is helping, he brought up the option of taking accutane. He told me that after the 5-6 months most people's skin completely clears up, but there are side effects, and for some people, the acne might come back. I liked the idea of being acne free, but the side effects seemed horrible. Also, giving up drinking is going to be difficult because I'm in college and I dink all the time. It's ironic that the summer I'm 21 I won't be able to drink... *sigh* I decided the benefits (clear skin) outweigh the costs (side effects & not drinking) so I figured I'd give it a go. I've heard people who drink on tane, but I care about the long term effects of my liver since I have punished it enough as it is.

Today:

The lab results from my blood test came in and everything checked out so I picked up my first prescription of 40 mg and took my first dose today at 11am. Next dose is tonight at 8pm.

So far I haven't noticed any side effects, and I'm prepared with lotion and chap stick if my skin or lips get dry.

Update:

Last night one of my good friends was turning 21 and was having a party at his house. I am happy to say I didn't have a drop of alcohol the whole night. I kind of cheated because I had a cup that I filled up with grape soda and ice but I don't think anyone knew it was just grape soda, haha ;). It was weird remembering everything last night because that usually never happens, but it was awesome because I had no hangover in the morning.

Day 4

I'm noticing my skin and hair getting dry much faster than usual and my skin producing less and less oils. I have three types of cetaphil lotion I've been using: the moisturizing lotion I use when I'm not getting sun, daily facial moisturizer with sph15 for days when I get a little sun, and the sph50 lotion if I'm going to be out all day doing stuff. I also use lip balm with 15sph, and I drink a lot of water. Five whiteheads that were on my face are drying up and are going away (that was cool) but I have a big one right under my eyebrow that's really annoying, and one on the back of my neck. I've definitely had worse so it's nothing that I can't handle.

Day 7

Things are getting worse... I have a bunch of tiny new whiteheads on my face, and one massive whitehead on my chin that made me not want to go to work and just stay home. It was terrible because I could tell customers were just staring right at my huge zit. It is so hard to look in the mirror and not pop it, but I have to resist. I just keep on telling myself that it will be worth it in the end but right now it just sucks.

Yea I feel ya man.. my IB were all tiny whiteheads around my the edge of my mouth(not on the lips but beside them. They go away fairly quickly tho if they are small whiteheads. I am on day 30 something I believe, I still get breakouts off and on but I can tell it's working because my color is getting better and there isn't as much oil. Just keep at it and don't give up, everyone says they don't see amazing results until the last couple of months, and that the first 2 months are always the hardest.

I hope they are right!

The alcohol thing does impact your liver, but nearly everyone says that it causes them a major breakout right after drinking all night, so I would stay away from it for that reason as well.

Yea I feel ya man.. my IB were all tiny whiteheads around my the edge of my mouth(not on the lips but beside them. They go away fairly quickly tho if they are small whiteheads. I am on day 30 something I believe, I still get breakouts off and on but I can tell it's working because my color is getting better and there isn't as much oil. Just keep at it and don't give up, everyone says they don't see amazing results until the last couple of months, and that the first 2 months are always the hardest.

I hope they are right!

The alcohol thing does impact your liver, but nearly everyone says that it causes them a major breakout right after drinking all night, so I would stay away from it for that reason as well.

^^ Thanks for the support, it's a tough time right now but hopefully my IB won't last long.

It's good to know there is another reason to not drink while on tane, the last thing I want now is more breakouts... It kind of makes me cringe now every time I read about how people still drink or smoke cigarettes on tane... I just don't understand how people will do it even with all that we know now.

~~~Day 9

Today was not really a good day for my skin, I have 3 big whiteheads on my forehead. The biggest one is in the center, then the other two are on each side.... Not to happy about it really.

The zit on my chin seems like it's going down but it's still raised... I have a theory that it's because some of the bacteria came out of it while I was in the shower but some was still trapped inside and that's why it's coming up again. So, I've decided to limit my showers to once a day from the usual shower every morning/night.

Also, today I noticed that my scalp and hair is really dry. I have been using head and shoulders 2&1 w/ conditioner hoping I would never have this problem. But I think I am going to limit using shampoo to only 2 maybe 3 times a week and see if it gets better.

My lips are still really chapped even though I put lip balm on all day, the side of my mouth is cracked and it's trying to heal but every time I smile or open my mouth it opens up again.... I'm going to bed early tonight so I'll put a tick layer of lip balm on and hope for the healing to happen.

I have been religiously putting on sunscreen and moisturizer every day so I haven't got burned. The cetaphil sph 50 is awesome, I can be out doing whatever and not have to worry. Only drawback is that it makes my skin look kind of shiny, so again, I weighed the costs and I would rather have shiny looking skin than get burned or peel bad.

so that's the end of my rant for today... I will update again when something else changes.

~~~~ Day 17

:D:D Today was a good day. My skin is finally looking better with fewer breakouts and now, a lot less blackheads because most of them fell out. Also my skin is no longer oily! It's awesome. Only negative is my face is looking a little red but it's nothing major. I have school tomorrow and hopefully no new ones come up.

Could my IB be over?

I kind of stopped posting because I feel like it's useless and I think no one really cares but maybe there are some people out there reading this that do. So this is for you guys/gals.

Rant of the day- non related to accutane

I am officially done with finals so I'm a little less stressed out now. I let my grades slip in the beginning so I had to work my ass off to get really good grades on the finals to pull myself back up. So far 2/4 grades came in and so far I'm passing. The other two I'm am waiting for is my econ class and my information systems class. In econ I can only guess it's either a D or a C because the whole class is graded on a curve so hopefully the rest of the students did as shitty as I did and we all pass. In my info systems class I came in to the final with a 79% so hopefully I can pull off a B. As soon as I find out what my total GPA is and if it's over 2.0 I can relax. Untill then all I can do is... :pray:

On top of all of that I got really sick last weekend and the doctor put me on antibiotics. I feel better now but I was worried I might of had to stop taking accutane.

~~~~Day 31

The IB is not over yet, I still get open comedones mostly on my nose and cheeks, and closed comedones on my forehead, neck, and upper back. It's really annoying because they take forever to go away on their own. I am guilty of popping a few of them them but I try not to because I know I shouldn't. I'm noticing some hair falling out and I'm kind of worried about that because I like to keep my hair medium/long and now my crown is thinning out and I have to comb it forward to cover up the thinning part. I think I'm getting depressed because of this whole thing. Does anyone know if hair grows back after you stop taking accutane? I hope it does. Anyways, I'm getting a little tired now so sorry I have to cut this short, I promise next update will be more through.

side effects

hair loss

depression

red skin

small rash

chapped lips

dry skin

fatigue

joint pain

Those look like some serious side effects. Have you talked to your derm about any of them? Mine was concerned when I went to her with lower back pain and told me to call right away if I was ever feeling depressed. You really might want to talk to your doctor about these.

I am planning on asking my derm about it when he gets back on Tuesday. I'm only kind of depressed because some hair is falling out but I had noticed I had thinning hair before I started accutane so it may just be normal male pattern baldness. When I run my fingers through my hair I occasionally get a few hairs, nothing to major. Now that I look at my last post I was a little emo about the whole thing. I'm sure stress from finals didn't help, I think I'll be fine once I know I'm in the clear with my grades and what not.

I feel your pain about lower back problems, I have definitely been there. When I was sick last week I had the worst lower back pain you could imagine. It felt like someone hit me in the back with a sledgehammer, I'm really glad that's over now.

9/24

Finally off the tane. :dance:

Feels great, clear skin really gives me the peace of mind that when I am talking to someone they just aren't staring at my zits. I feel way more confident now, and I'm glad I stuck with it even when it was hard.

Just to let all of you know, my last post was pretty much my breaking point, things only got better from there, I passed all of my classes (I'm sure all of the added stress wasn't helping anyways) and I started to see less and less whiteheads and blackheads.

I will feel even better once it is completely out of my system so I can go out and enjoy things like going out in the sun, and having a couple drinks every now and then, although I must admit to drinking on a few occasions while on tane but never in excess.

And although it sucked at times, being on accutane has taught me a few important lessons. For one, taking better care of my skin by using moisturizers and sunscreen. And two, drinking in excess is never good anyway and cutting down was probably for my own good.

Having clear skin owns

Congrats! I am 12 days away from finishing so I understand your excitement. I hope your results stay positive.