Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gamer120

Scar or Hyperpigmentation??? Please help me figure out what this mark is!!

post-101417-1240535154_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the pic uploaded ok.

I've had this red mark for just over 2 months, and unfortunately I'm not seeing any signs of it fading. As you can probably tell, I'm extremely white, so every little mark can look significant. I'll admit this is my own fault (I picked at a spot). I don't really have acne, just milia (those spots that when you squeeze them come out as hard rice-grain like things).

I understand it takes time for red marks to fade, but I'm concerned this one may be more serious than ones I've had previously. When I picked it, there initially was an indentation and the inner part of the mark appeared almost like a little hole. It remained this way for several days, and I'm honestly not sure if its completely flat or slightly indented still.

Any suggestions on possible treatment options? On hand I have: lemons, apple cider vinegar, 2% hydroquinone, and 12% TCA peel. I have used the hydroquinone on it consistently for the last month with no visible signs of improvement. I bought the TCA to use on a scar on my leg (accidentally burnt it on the oven), and it seems to be working ok for that. I'm just not sure if it would be appropriate to try it on this spot, or if I should try something else first.

Thanks for your help :)

post-101417-1240535154_thumb.jpg

Any red marks which doesn't dissapear after 1 year means it is a scar.

Guest missyjean130
Any red marks which doesn't dissapear after 1 year means it is a scar.

Not true. I've had red marks go away after a year and not leave anything behind. It just means it was affecting the deeper layers of my skin.

I'm back!! It's been a couple months, but I felt like I needed to come back after what great results I've had. I did try Dan's AHA+, but unfortunately it didn't work (and I wasn't a fan of the texture as it peeled and balled off when I tried to put makeup on top of it).

About two weeks ago I purchased Obagi clear, and I think this had made the biggest difference in my results. The Clear, along with just time passing has made a pretty dramatic difference to my red mark. I feel pretty confident that it will be entirely gone within the next couple months. I may come back once it is no longer visible just to post another pic. I hope this provides encouragement to anyone battling red marks. I know how frustrating it can be to deal with, but there is hope for everyone suffering from this! :dance:

Before:

post-101417-1246406972_thumb.jpg

After:

post-101417-1246406586_thumb.jpg

post-101417-1246406586_thumb.jpg

post-101417-1246406972_thumb.jpg

Congrats! I've got a couple of long lasting marks that I'm hoping will fade eventually.