Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matt f

Is tap water the problem?

Well i always try and drink a lot of water (from the tap) because it's one of the things which supposedly cures acne. However according to some reports which i've just read, tap water can actually CAUSE acne and that you should drink filtered water. :S Same goes when washing your face.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this.

I have actually strongly believed in this before. I went out and bought a shower filter, along with a couple packs of bottle water. I was clearer than normal for the time being. I wasn't using any cleansers/washes. Until one night when my filter broke, the neck piece of it was cheaply made. I seemed OK without it for awhile, maybe cause I was drinking bottled water still.

Recently I have been drinking tap water and taking regular showers and have been having some nasty breakouts. I guess it could all depend on where you live. I live in Missouri and our water is very clean and drinkable but who knows?

Maybe I should get another filter and get back on the bottle water phase and see what happens? :think:

I've also started drinking green tea (it's actually nice!!). Im drinking 1 cup everyday in the morning. :) Hopefully this should help.

Guest MarifreakinA

Water is probably the cause for a lot of acne.

It exposes the face to hard water property.

I'm going to start using make up remover pads to remove the cleanser off of my face.

It does make sense that tap water could be causing my mild acne as i used to drink alot of it.

In the morning i drink a cup of green tea, then during the day i drink 2-3 bottles of water, and then when i get home i drink only boiled water.

I dont think it does. I have moderate acne and I never drink tap water. I cannot stand the taste of it. Its either mineral water or filtered water for me

I've found depending on if the water is hard in that area makes a huge difference in my skin. When I was in England for some reason I was completely acne free using neutrogena I came back to SC using the same exact regime I had for a year and started to break out. I didn't change anything at all so water makes a difference. I'm not sure drinking it does, I never drank the water over there, I always had bottles and I rarely drank those at that. I was such a junk food junkee LOL.

I think it's very possible. I used filtered shower water and filtered drinking water for a good 4 months and barely had any noticeable spots, and now I am back home using unfiltered shower and drinking water and I have had the worst breakout I have had in probably 6 months.