Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curlyq

How do you feel about nutritional yeast?

I'm not vegan but a lot of my friends are and they introduced me to nutritional yeast. My friends put in everything, sprinkle it on top of snacks etc. I don't use it regularly but I do keep a bottle of red star on hand. Just wondering how other people feel about nutritional yeast? Do you think it could have a negative impact on skin? I mean it's chock full of B vitamins but I 'm not sure...

Ive read alot into this myself and have found conflicting reports. One says that if you have a problem with candidia then its best to avoid them(most people with acne tend to struggle with this) and the fact the yeast take up alot of room in the supplement its hard to hit a theraputic dose.

However I have read that the yeast is dead in the supplement when it is dried and its alot more natural to the body in the case of brewers yeast. Im using Selenium based on brewers yeast and Chromium GTF also based on brewers yeast.

Ive read more on chromium and im still experimenting because for years ive only used picolinate. Reading more into it Im starting to believe yeast can be helpful...but im unsure yet as im still testing it.

thanks jodiat! there is so much information out there it can get confusing. I do believe nutiritonal yeast is dead -so it is unable to grow inside your body? Of course it only seems logical if you have an overgrowth of yeast in your body (candida) you should avoid all yeasts- right?

*confused now* wondering if people who consume nutritional yeast should eat more live yogurt or take acidophilus?

I love yogurt but the soy ones I've found have too much sugar

Mmm. I love this stuff. Honestly, I've not considered it to have a negative or positive impact regarding acne. In other words, my acne did not worsen or improve when I started using it.

thanks jodiat! there is so much information out there it can get confusing. I do believe nutiritonal yeast is dead -so it is unable to grow inside your body? Of course it only seems logical if you have an overgrowth of yeast in your body (candida) you should avoid all yeasts- right?

You keep using the term "nutritional yeast", but I'm not completely sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to brewer's yeast? Brewer's yeast is good stuff, and highly recommended. It's a sterile food yeast, and is not contraindicated merely by having candida problems.

when i search on vegan recipe sites they always list that which i never heard of before other than in breads. like other people have said, yeast is not good for candida but you have to do tests to see if you actually have it.

You keep using the term "nutritional yeast", but I'm not completely sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to brewer's yeast? Brewer's yeast is good stuff, and highly recommended. It's a sterile food yeast, and is not contraindicated merely by having candida problems.

Nutritional yeast is a byproduct of molasses whereas brewers yeast is a byproduct of beer. They're both pretty much the same, but I believe brewers yeast has more of a hops flavor. Both yeasts are processed and not alive.

Nutritional yeast is a byproduct of molasses whereas brewers yeast is a byproduct of beer.

Are you sure about that?? The Wikipedia article on molasses says that "molasses is used for yeast production", but that's not the same thing as yeast being a byproduct of molasses.