Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dancedivine

Rogaine for Accutane-induced hair loss?

Hey, guys! In case you don't already know my story, I was on my third course of Accutane & my hair started falling out around day 14, so I threw the stuff out after I took my last pill on day 18. My doc insists the hair will grow back, but I didn't want to take any chances. So, I'm done with Accutane. Anyway, my doc also said that despite the fact that I stopped taking the pill, my hair will continue for fall out for a while. I guess it just has to go through this shedding cycle before it can start growing back again - which sucks! So, I was just wondering if anyone has tried using Rogaine while dealing with Accuntane - induced hair loss? Have you had any luck with it? (I'm a chick, by the way, so male patterned baldness does not apply.) Thanks!

:)

Hey, guys! In case you don't already know my story, I was on my third course of Accutane & my hair started falling out around day 14, so I threw the stuff out after I took my last pill on day 18. My doc insists the hair will grow back, but I didn't want to take any chances. So, I'm done with Accutane. Anyway, my doc also said that despite the fact that I stopped taking the pill, my hair will continue for fall out for a while. I guess it just has to go through this shedding cycle before it can start growing back again - which sucks! So, I was just wondering if anyone has tried using Rogaine while dealing with Accuntane - induced hair loss? Have you had any luck with it? (I'm a chick, by the way, so male patterned baldness does not apply.) Thanks!

:)

Dancedivine- I would have one your hormones checked, meaning estrogen, testerone.... I would also have your Iron Levels checked and thyroid.

Low Iron and Thyroid can cause hairloss. It has been known that some have had theese problems shortly after accutane.....

I know that yours started while you were on it, but I would have thoose levels checked first before trying rogaine.

I honestly don't remember the hair loss during my first and second courses.. But, then again, I don't remember much about my life at all during that time period.

Oh, and I had my thyroid checked shortly before starting the Accutane. Everything was fine... I didn't have my iron checked, but I've never had low iron before. So, I don't think I would have it now. I am 100% sure the hairloss was caused by the Accutane. This was not a gradual thing. It was a sudden, what-the-heck-is-going-on-here kind of thing. So, I'm wondering if Rogaine will help at all.... I guess it's time to start googling for some possible answers.

What oli girl is saying, is that accutane can cause these alterations, so tests before accutane won't be of much use to detect any ofthe changes which may of occured from your lasdt course.

As for your hairloss.... It is pretty clearly the diffuse alopecia areata because of how sudden it is, coupled with the short duration you had been taking tane for. Telogen effluvium would of taken atleast a month or two to start. Now let me just say, diffuse AA from accutane can resolve and you have a good chance because you took hardly any of the drug this time.

Rogain won't hurt, but whilst using it get other things checked out. Don't just rely on the rogain.

I don't think it will hurt anyone with accutane hairloss. I have read stories of people with male pattern baldness having some negative effects on their hairgrowth e.g. increased/continued shedding.

With minoxidil it actually locally regulates the immune system within the area it is applied (amungst other things). It alters the ratio of TH1 and TH2 immune cells. This is very favourable for those of us with diffuse AA.

The minoxidil should help you quite a bit.

hey i also have hair loss from acctuane. i took 80mg a day for a over a month at the end of my course which is way to much, but i have been doing alot of research and i have found out that vitamin A is stored in the fat cells of the body. i have been thinking that maybe somthing like the far infared sauna can help. it penetrates into the body and targets the fat cells allowing the release of toxins through the skin. so if its the build up of vitamin A causing my hairloss. this will help my body to dispose of these toxins alot faster.... what is everyone elses opinion on my idea ??

Yeah, I thought about trying the Rogaine. But, I talked to my doctor on Friday & she said that Rogaine would do nothing for me. So, I'm totally confused... I just don't want to do more harm that good. Uggggg....

I lost a lot of hair during and after my accutane course. My derm told me it was TE (not sure how to spell out the entire name)...but that it causes increased shedding-like a bunny molting. Apparently this can happen for up to a year. My shedding has decreased some-now that I have the oil back in my hair and im three months post tane. However, I've never really noticed my hair being any thinner. I also notice a lot of regrowth-shorter hairs all over my head. I have really thick curly hair anyway--but nonetheless this was stressful for me. I was told just to wait it out--hair grows in cycles and you just have to wait it out. I was also told that you would lose hair evenly throughout your head and you wouldnt experience any bald patches. So far my derm has been right and Im feeling more confident that the shedding will stop compeltely soon. so I guess its just best to wait it out!

I think results very from person to person. 3 months after my shedding began, I went on Minoxidil 5%. And my shedding has been pretty intense for the past 6 months. I kinda expected the shedding to last for a few months then go away, then realize the results this month (they say it takes 6 months of using Minoxidil to see the results.) However my hair is worse now than it was a month ago, but I don't know if I can attribute that to the Accutane or the Minoxidil. I think the only way I could really tell is if I go off Minoxidil, but I'm afraid to do that just in case its the Accutane that is the sole cause of the shedding and the minoxidil has been working to help hair regrow.

So I'm committed to using Minoxidil until the end of this year, if the shedding doesn't let up, I will go off of Minoxidil, and hopefully things will get better instead of worse.

I think Lamarr is right when he says its best to wait 6 months before treating the condition, I think by 6 months you would have an idea of whether its resolving on its own or it requires something to assist.

I don't have a history of MPB on either side of my family and both my grandfather on my mother's side and my father have a full head of hair, so I don't think that that is such a factor in determining how severely Accutane induced hair loss will hit you.

However the fact that my shedding really picked up when I started on Minoxidil leaves me wondering.

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone who recovered or mostly recovered from Accutane induced hairloss successfully used Minoxidil for treating it.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Matt,

I've been conflicted with whether to use rogaine or not myself. I have heard sometimes it doesnt help your hair, induces more loss, or the complete opposite of those answers..helps! I would inquire with your dermatologist and if he or she is unsure always get a second opinion. I do know that that products takes months to work so you probably won;t see results right away..I think the manufactuer insists results can be seen at 3 weeks. Go to the Rogaine website and look for before and after pictures. I would be patient is you are going to continue to use teh product I think that maxium results show at 8 to 12 months. Also I don;t know at ALL much information abotu this product but I saw an informercial for ScalpMed...which I believe is the same thing as rogaine just more expensive, but like any infomercial, the results I saw and the people they interviewd had amazing results. I have thought about using teh product, but I plan on running the ingredient list by my derm first to see if it is a legitimate product. Hope all works out! :) cheers!

I think results very from person to person. 3 months after my shedding began, I went on

Minoxidil 5%. And my shedding has been pretty intense for the past 6 months. I kinda expected the shedding to last for a few months then go away, then realize the results this month (they say it takes 6 months of using Minoxidil to see the results.) However my hair is worse now than it was a month ago, but I don't know if I can attribute that to the Accutane or the Minoxidil. I think the only way I could really tell is if I go off Minoxidil, but I'm afraid to do that just in case its the Accutane that is the sole cause of the shedding and the minoxidil has been working to help hair regrow.

So I'm committed to using Minoxidil until the end of this year, if the shedding doesn't let up, I will go off of Minoxidil, and hopefully things will get better instead of worse.

I think Lamarr is right when he says its best to wait 6 months before treating the condition, I think by 6 months you would have an idea of whether its resolving on its own or it requires something to assist.

I don't have a history of MPB on either side of my family and both my grandfather on my mother's side and my father have a full head of hair, so I don't think that that is such a factor in determining how severely Accutane induced hair loss will hit you.

However the fact that my shedding really picked up when I started on Minoxidil leaves me wondering.

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone who recovered or mostly recovered from Accutane induced hairloss successfully used Minoxidil for treating it.

Cheers,

Matt

Sometimes Rogaine can creates more trouble rather than help to regrow hair. Try researching more information about Rogaine before using it.

I wouldn't use Rogaine because I hear it has a relatively low success rate, plus it will make you shed more hair initially.

Also, you'll have to keep taking it FOREVER, which really sucks because you have to apply it twice a day and it costs $50/month.

So if it's $600/month x 20 years, = $12K, you're probably better off just getting a hair transplant because at least it'll have an almost guaranteed success rate.

But before you even consider these things, you should probably wait at least a year to see if your hair will grow back naturally.

Edited by csmike

I used Maximum Strength Rogaine for about 2 months, and now I have persistent, mild acne on my left check for the first time in my life, and I'm in my 30s. It has been 6 months, and the acne hasn't gone away. I would be very cautious about using Rogaine if you already have acne.

I'm no doctor, but from reading the data sheets, it appears that Propecia (finasteride) has an effect that is the opposite of Accutane. Propecia is a DHT inhibitor while Accutane is a DHT promoter (or vice versa, I can't remember). Propecia is a pill to treat hair-loss. I know it's for men only though, so it's not a solution for everyone. It's by prescription only, too, so if you don't have hair loss, your doctor may not write the prescription.

HI All,

I'm 28 now and I had acne problems since I rem. In Feb 2010 i was put on 60mg of Acutance for 4 months. I have experienced dry skin, cracked/dehydrated lips and depression, light sensitivity and my skin became very tine ,any cuts weren't healing fast and were leaving me with scars. The last 60 mg intake i had 15th of June.

My face ,chest and back-were looking great/not a pimple-Until end of July when my spots started to get back on my face. I got scared and went back to my Dermatology and she put me on low 20mg dose for 6 months treatment. I'm on the 2 last days of the 3rd box of 20mg.On second box I've noticed terrible hair loss. When I'm brushing them ,(even worse when I'm washing them and then brushing)They are falling out like crazy. Sometimes I don't even need to brush my hair, It's enough to move my hand trough my Slim now! pony tail!-and I end up ith a hair in my hand.

I'm taking Zink and Biotin, but does not help at all. I'm afraid to brush my hair. I know 100% that Acutane is causing my hair loss. Why? Cause my hair where never falling out that much. I eat healthy and drink water/green tea etc.

IN 2 days Im going to get box 4 of Acutane but I think I will say to my doctor that I want to quit.

I feel like I had a Chemo therapy!!!

I'm so sad right now because I was always wearing my hair short, and when finally I let them grow longer than ever -they are constantly falling out.

I'm affraid that I will be forced to cut them soon.....:(

Eva

Edited by gallatea82

I would stop accutane. Do you have any other problems. Accutane is known to lower iron levels, biotin, mess up hormones such as thyroid etc... I would have some labs done and if they are okay. Another thing drop the zinc as it aids Vit A, which Accutane is in mega dose.

You can also see the hairloss thread. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/answers-d...66#entry2956266

Good luck

I'm a guy, 20 years old, and took accutane back in 2008 for only 3 months. Stopped early because of thinning hair in mass amounts.

Doctors and dermatologists don't want to attribute accutane as the cause to something like this because quite frankly, the accutane doesn't often do its damage in massive amounts as quickly to really show a "drastic difference" or whatever. They probably also want to keep the opinion of accutane a "good" one, since it technically does help with acne. It DID help with mine, but like a bajillion other people, my acne came back soon after going off of it. Nowadays I just take minocycline every other day, eat healthier, and tan every once in a while and my skin is pretty well clear (fairly anyway).

ANYWAYS..

My hair has slowly been thinning since the whole accutane treatment ordeal, and it's very upsetting. My dad and his father both had good hairlines well into their adult years, but mine is definitely already accelerated by the drug.

But I'm not too worried, because I know what my plan of attack for it is going to be. I'm going to go see a man nearby who specializes in "Acupuncture".

My goals are to 1) Have him perform something called "Cupping" to stop the thinning of the hair and 2) Treat me for hair-loss / alopecia with his acupuncture magic.

I have undergone acupuncture for my back (scoliosis) before, and it's amazing. Not painful at all, and almost feels like taking a pain-killer once you wake up, so you feel pretty good haha.

Of course, there isn't going to be a lot of love for acupuncture on the internet if you try and look this up. It's not "tested" by enough people or whatever. My personal opinion is that western medicine and "dermatologists" just don't want acupuncturists stealing their patients and therefore, their money. It's just sad that docs will let us take such hardcore medications rather than trying to be thoughtful about what it could really do to us in the long run.

I'm not trying to advertise for a specific acupuncturist office or anything, I just thought it'd be nice to share my strategy for this. It's not going to be cheap, but I damn well think it's worth a shot. :-)

Good day everybody.

I see one person here who said rogaine gave them acne.

Has anyone else taken rogaine?

I just started but i am thinking of quitting due to negative effects it supposedly has on skin. People report enlarged pores, loss of collagen, I lost my hair due to accutane in order to fix my face, i dont want to do the opposite and try to fix my hair while ruining my face.

Anyone on rogaine can you comment? Has it increased skin issues? I notice bags under my eyes which is common reported symptom, im going to stop for a couple days though to see if im exaggerating it, or its actually causing it.