Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LdroppNova

Several supplement & food questions

I have a ton of questions and thought I would bundle them up into one post.

1) I was at a friends house yesterday, and he gave me some dried chaga mushrooms because a friend of his who had met me thought they would help with my skin. I have not found any information about this on the internet, besides they have some cancer prevention properties. I am drinking my first cup of chaga mushroom tea right now.

2)I have been taking DIM for about a week now. I have broken out into 2 cysts since taking it. Does it make you purge? I am thinking about stopping it until I get a liver detoxifier like taurine or calcium d glucarate- is either one better?

3) I also have some Maca capsules that I have been thinking about taking. Can I take Maca while taking DIM? Anyone had any experience with it?

4) I have also been thinking about taking MSM, however I eat a lot of garlic and onions. Would supplementing with a sulfur compound with my diet be overkill?

5) I have been eating dairy free and gluten free for about 4 weeks now, and besides the 2 cysts, my skin is starting to clear up. I've noticed that the past 2 cysts I've gotten have popped up almost immediately after eating corn tortilla chips... would this be the culprit? I was wondering if it was possible for your body to react with a zit immediately after eating something or does it take time? Considering I eat tortilla chips w/ hummus daily, it looks like I am going to cut that out and see what it does. My dermatologist visits for cyst injections are getting ridiculous (3 in the past month, just went yesterday and in need of one again). I'm just not sure if I can completely cut out corn because there's really not much left to eat being gluten free. However, I have cut down on my consumption of frozen dinners so I am eating less of it.

6)One last thing, related to diet. I know that capsaicin is generally supposed to be good for its anti-inflammatory effects, however, I've read that according the Indian holistic guide Ayurveda, if you have acne, you should not eat hot, spicy food (even garlic?). Anyways, I never much hot peppers before last September, and thats when my consistent cystic acne started... could this be a culprit??

Basically, here, I am dealing with my acne either being hormonal or diet related (and of course stress), and how do I know this? Well, all of my acne is on my chin & cheeks, so that is definitely related to my hormones. As for diet, well, I'm not sure, I'm just trying to figure it out. I've acne for over 10 years, so who knows.

Anyways, regarding your cyst, just do what I do, drink lots of water (avoid soda or alcohol) eat lots of fruits and vegetables, excercise, and clean your face everyday (I recommend using Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. You can get it at target, vons, Wal-Mart, etc. it worked for me.)

I haven't had a pimple in a long time. No cysts or anything. i remember I had this giant cyst where it hurts real bad when i touched it. Now, it's gone (=