Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strato

No carbs diet. What the hell am I supposed to eat?

I have always used to eat healthy food, at least in my opinion. I never even ate chips or sweets.

Because of acne, I decided to go on a no carbs diet.

A few main foods I used to eat:

potatoes, oat flakes, buckwheat, bread, grains

edit: left out rice and macaronis!

Am I supposed to quit those foods? If yes, then what the hell am I supposed to eat? There's not much left. Aren't oat flakes and buckwheat considered one of the healthiest foods? Now from somewhere I read that I also should give up dairy products, like milk. Seriously, what the fuck? This is damaging my body, and I can feel it.

Well the foods you've listed are carbohydrate rich foods, so if you're going on a no-carb diet you would probably have to give them up.

I heard some of the low-carb dieters like to eat bacon grease. Yum.

If you go on a no/low carb diet, yes you will feel weak until your body switches over to using fat as fuel.

You will want to eat foods high in fat, since that will be your main source of energy. Things I ate when I did this were eggs, bacon (and its grease), meat (unprocessed preferably), vegetables, nuts, cream (I'd have coffee with heavy cream). I used coconut and olive oils, coconut the primary one for cooking.

If carbohydrates cause acne for you, cutting all carbs out completely wont solve your problem of insulin resistance. High fat diets impair insulin's ability to function, so if you plan on returning to carbohydrates at some point, you will find acne still persisting unless you have grown out of it.

If you want to adopt a low-carb diet, you'll need to increase your fat intake so that your body has an energy source to work with. You'll feel miserable otherwise.

Typical foods for low-carb diets are meat, eggs, cheese, non-starchy vegetables, nuts and seeds, butter and cream, olive oil, avocados, and limited portions of fruit and dairy products.

High fat diets impair insulin's ability to function,

lmao hahah the way you said that reminds me of the way I reacted when my dermatolgist handed me a list of foods to not eat and it basically crossed out all CARBS! I have such a fast metabolism that I just can't do that. It's too extremeeeee, heck no to thattttt.

If you do consider doing this, pleaasee send me a message and tell me how it goes. i would love to know what foods you're surviving on. God knows i'd be crawling on the floor for bread crums haha

BTW- heres the list the doctor gave me of what to eat and not to eat:

Grains:

No: corn, wheat germ, barley, oats, rye, rice, buckwheat, spelt

No: beans and soy

No: potatoes, yams, and parsnips

no: agar and carrageenan (w.e that is lol)

Dairy:

No: dairy products

Sugars:

No: sugar, molasses, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, fructose

Yes: honey is small amounts

veggies:

yes: everything basically !

fresh or frozen and raw or cooked: broccoli, cauliflower, beets, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, cuccumbers, eggplant, rihubarb, peppers, garlic, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, onions, turnips, and watercress

meats:

No: processed meat! like the turkey slices and ham etc

yes: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, quail, ostrich (yuck), fish, shellfish, lamb, venision, rabbit, uncured bacon and eggs. Wild game is preffered as is eggs from free roaming chicken. (I doubt you have a chicken coop haha so eggs for the supermarket is fine.)

fruits:

Yes: ALL FRUITS

avocados, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, and grapes

Nuts:

Yes: almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, chestnuts, filberts, pecans, and raw cashews

No: Peanuts

Miscellaneous:

Yes: olive oil, coconut oil, tea, mustard, and juices with pulp and WITHOUT additives

No:coffee, bread, pasta =(, other starchy foods, canola oil, mayonnaise, ice cream, candy, chocolate, carob, whey powder, margarine, ketchup, baking powder, mixed nuts, chicory root, leeks, and asparagus

WELL, that WAS LONG lol but yeah that's the Acne Diet he told me. Hope that helps

If carbohydrates cause acne for you, cutting all carbs out completely wont solve your problem of insulin resistance. High fat diets impair insulin's ability to function, so if you plan on returning to carbohydrates at some point, you will find acne still persisting unless you have grown out of it.

not true at all..... A high TRANS fat diet does this... which was the main fat they used in studies to prove that fat impairs insulin resistance....so the studies are a bunch of horse sh** they didnt use healthy saturated fats and monounsaturated fats to prove this theory they used their man made heart diseasing causing fats....

lmao hahah the way you said that reminds me of the way I reacted when my dermatolgist handed me a list of foods to not eat and it basically crossed out all CARBS! I have such a fast metabolism that I just can't do that. It's too extremeeeee, heck no to thattttt.

If you do consider doing this, pleaasee send me a message and tell me how it goes. i would love to know what foods you're surviving on. God knows i'd be crawling on the floor for bread crums haha

Grains:

Dairy:

Sugars:

veggies:

fresh or frozen and raw or cooked: broccoli, cauliflower, beets, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, cuccumbers, eggplant, rihubarb, peppers, garlic, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, onions, turnips, and watercress

meats:

yes: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, quail, ostrich (yuck), fish, shellfish, lamb, venision, rabbit, uncured bacon and eggs. Wild game is preffered as is eggs from free roaming chicken. (I doubt you have a chicken coop haha so eggs for the supermarket is fine.)

fruits:

avocados, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, and grapes

Nuts:

Yes: almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, chestnuts, filberts, pecans, and raw cashews

Miscellaneous:

Yes: olive oil, coconut oil, tea, mustard, and juices with pulp and WITHOUT additives

No:coffee, bread, pasta =(, other starchy foods, canola oil, mayonnaise, ice cream, candy, chocolate, carob, whey powder, margarine, ketchup, baking powder, mixed nuts, chicory root, leeks, and asparagus

WELL, that WAS LONG lol but yeah that's the Acne Diet he told me. Hope that helps

You actually could do that without losing wieght... a low carb diet preserves muscle mass while reducing bodyfat...so if you did lose "weight" you'd likely just end up getting lean and ripped. You can even maintain your weight or add muscle mass if you eat enough... You do have to keep up the fat intake to do that though...it has to be pretty high to gain. yayyyy buttter & lard :)

i am doing the same thing for skin- very very little carbs and only from veggies when i want them....have been doing this successfully since last summer. heres a few tips

-like others stated, keep your fat intake HIGH. low energy can arise otherwise... and i mean pile on the pork steak and oils..... your source of energy used to be carbs...now your metabolism will switch to using fat as energy...so eat fats like they are going out of style.... (mayo-eggs with yolk-bacon-sausage-pork-steak-salmon-coconut oil-olive oil-butter avocado and lard)

-if your allergic to dairy eliminate it... i had to do this because im so intolerant from abusing dairy for so long that my whole face turns red and i get cystic acne... so if you get worse doing this diet... eliminate dairy

-Center your meals around the protein you will choose...whether pork chops chicken wings bacon and eggs or steaks pick the meat with the highest amount of fats you can find

-try to always balance your fat intake...olive oil for omega 9, you will def get enough omega 6 from meats so dont worry about that one, and do get cod liver oil for omega 3 and take 1-2 tbls daily with a meal for best absorption.

I usually eat the following:

brekafast- bacon eggs sausage or ham

lunch- chicken or tuna salad with mayonnasie and celery over lettuce but that doesnt have enough fat so i eat some pepperoni or organic salami with it also and sometimes a bite of coconut oil- if you dont like those you could just eat a small bunless burger (made with high fat beef- chuck), rotisserie chicken, filet mignon, ribeye steak, beef taco salad (no grains or cheese for me) just veggies, lemon salmon -no butter

dinner is usually about the same type thing....

when i get bored with what i am eating i just go online to different restaurant websites and look up their menu and see how i can eat whatever i want on their menu but i make it myself without all the bad stuff...like if i want a blackened chicken wrap.. ill make blackened chicken and if im feeling productive ill sautee a few pieces of vegetable to go with it and add extra fat because thats lean

i think taking favorite recipes and making them low carb is the best way to go...

and one other thing. i learned the hard way if you eat sugar normally DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT go cold turkey or even try to doing this. you will want to shoot yourself. :) kidding but really dont do it its ROUGH. Prep yourself by eating only meats veggies and fruit for 3 days first then go for it...you will get irritable tired depressed maybe ...you will be a sugar nut so dont do it before a birthday or holiday....and that will go on until your body starts burning fat as a fuel instead of sugar... i can usually get into ketosis in 2 days if i try...i eat only eggs sausage or bacon and avocado as much as i need to- i gorge at first and then i hardly have an appetite...and your sweettooth will go away too you wont want sugar anymore-oh and i cant promise you anything buttt.... my face started to clear up within 3 days. i was clear in a week. really clear. so dont give it because its hard.

goodluck! and let me know if you need help or support

i am doing the same thing for skin- very very little carbs and only from veggies when i want them....have been doing this successfully since last summer. heres a few tips

-like others stated, keep your fat intake HIGH. low energy can arise otherwise... and i mean pile on the pork steak and oils..... your source of energy used to be carbs...now your metabolism will switch to using fat as energy...so eat fats like they are going out of style.... (mayo-eggs with yolk-bacon-sausage-pork-steak-salmon-coconut oil-olive oil-butter avocado and lard)

-if your allergic to dairy eliminate it... i had to do this because im so intolerant from abusing dairy for so long that my whole face turns red and i get cystic acne... so if you get worse doing this diet... eliminate dairy

-Center your meals around the protein you will choose...whether pork chops chicken wings bacon and eggs or steaks pick the meat with the highest amount of fats you can find

-try to always balance your fat intake...olive oil for omega 9, you will def get enough omega 6 from meats so dont worry about that one, and do get cod liver oil for omega 3 and take 1-2 tbls daily with a meal for best absorption.

I usually eat the following:

brekafast- bacon eggs sausage or ham

lunch- chicken or tuna salad with mayonnasie and celery over lettuce but that doesnt have enough fat so i eat some pepperoni or organic salami with it also and sometimes a bite of coconut oil- if you dont like those you could just eat a small bunless burger (made with high fat beef- chuck), rotisserie chicken, filet mignon, ribeye steak, beef taco salad (no grains or cheese for me) just veggies, lemon salmon -no butter

dinner is usually about the same type thing....

when i get bored with what i am eating i just go online to different restaurant websites and look up their menu and see how i can eat whatever i want on their menu but i make it myself without all the bad stuff...like if i want a blackened chicken wrap.. ill make blackened chicken and if im feeling productive ill sautee a few pieces of vegetable to go with it and add extra fat because thats lean

i think taking favorite recipes and making them low carb is the best way to go...

and one other thing. i learned the hard way if you eat sugar normally DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT go cold turkey or even try to doing this. you will want to shoot yourself. :) kidding but really dont do it its ROUGH. Prep yourself by eating only meats veggies and fruit for 3 days first then go for it...you will get irritable tired depressed maybe ...you will be a sugar nut so dont do it before a birthday or holiday....and that will go on until your body starts burning fat as a fuel instead of sugar... i can usually get into ketosis in 2 days if i try...i eat only eggs sausage or bacon and avocado as much as i need to- i gorge at first and then i hardly have an appetite...and your sweettooth will go away too you wont want sugar anymore-

oh and i cant promise you anything buttt.... my face started to clear up within 3 days. i was clear in a week. really clear. so dont give it because its hard.

goodluck! and let me know if you need help or support

not true at all..... A high TRANS fat diet does this... which was the main fat they used in studies to prove that fat impairs insulin resistance....so the studies are a bunch of horse sh** they didnt use healthy saturated fats and monounsaturated fats to prove this theory they used their man made heart diseasing causing fats....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11317662

Obviously 'healthy' fats are beneficial to ones diet, especially in favour of animal fats. However a diet high in fat will not solve the problem you face. You are still unable to eat carbs right??Therefore your high in fat diet isn't solving any problems, its just avoiding it. The majority of native staple diets are upwards of 70% carbohydrate, with the other relying primarily on fats. In all cases acne is virtually unheard of. Theoretically if carbohydrates were the 'underlying'issue acne would be rife in these communities. One of the major distinctions is that high carb diets in western countries are more or less high fat at the same time which does impair insulins ability to fully efficiently. The other problem is that most of our 'healthiest' carbs are still refined including fruits which are adapted for increased sweetness.

That being said, i have nothing against a high fat diet, some people perform better with that kind of nutrition plan, however the diet you propose is a fast tracked way to prostate cancer amongst other health problems.

Grains:

Dairy:

Sugars:

veggies:

meats:

fruits:

Nuts:

Miscellaneous:

Just a note, since you said you'd be crawling on the floor for bread crumbs...

Once you have switched fuel sources to fat and have been off of carbs for a little while, I would expect that you would have little to no trouble avoiding carbs... that is what I experienced, and I can never get enough carbs. I found it much easier to resist temptations also, people would shove cookies and brownies in my face and I'd hardly be tempted to take one (and baked goods are some of my all time favorite foods).

Very interesting thread. I've always wondered about low-carb choices. Anyone know why icantbelieveit's doctor advised AGAINST eating asperagus? Can it cause more acne? Cuz I love asparagus...