Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I dont see diet mentioned alot in this area, it seems to be mainly about the products that you use on your face. But i was wondering is there anyone here that has succesfully cleared there blackheads via a specific diet?

Some people have said that too much fat, specifically butter can cause blackheads, but trans fats would probably be the worst, they are harder for your body to process, therefore they might hang around longer in your pores.

also in that link you provided you mention

'Low body fat, especially visceral fat (around your middle) - secretes hormones that impair insulin sensitivity'

what does this mean ... does it mean that low body fat is bad for ance ? im very underweight ... 6ft tall weigh 110 lbs

Some people have said that too much fat, specifically butter can cause blackheads, but trans fats would probably be the worst, they are harder for your body to process, therefore they might hang around longer in your pores.

That makes no sense at all.

how helpful of you rakbs! It might be anecdotal evidence, but it does make sense. What is so incomprehensible?

Good things for blood sugar

Because elevated blood sugar stimulates Androgen and IGF1 production, while simultaneously lowering the proteins that bind them--SHBG and IGFBP-3. Androgens stimulate oil production, IGF1 causes hyperkeratinization and hyperproliferation of skin cells.

So, on to the good things.

Anything that improves circulation, Blood pressure, cholesterol, so:

Exercise!!! - also increases insulin activity in order to provide energy for exercise, especially beneficial is weight training or cardio activities with short bursts of very intensive activity as in spinning or walking combined with sprinting.

Fish Oil or other omega 3

Anthocyanins - phytonutrients primarily in red and purple fruits and veg, strengthens capillaries.

Capsaicin - from chili peppers

GINKGO BILOBA

Also, nutrients specifically involved with insulin/glucose metabolism

Chromium - essential for insulin activity

Biotin - works with chromium?

Cinnamon

Fiber - psylium, glucomannan -- slows metabolism of carbs.

Alpha lipoic acid - helps insulin transport glucose into cells

Vanadian - same as above

Nutrients that seem to play a role in lowering blood sugar/things people with insulin resistance/diabetes tend to be deficient (although we all tend to be deficient)/Things that supplementation has tended to lead to improve insulin resistance:

Magnesium - part of carb metabolism, may stimulate release of insulin

Vitamin D - It's actually a hormone, not a vitamin. Helps maintain insulin levels. Also helps BP.

Vitamin E

NAC - shown to increase insulin senstivity and lower androgen levels in women with PCOS.

d-chiro-inositol - in buckwheat

Salt

And lots of things that help deal with damage from and/or degree of poor glucose metabolism like C, B vitamins, E, zinc, CoEnzyme Q10. All kinds of antioxidants.

Avoiding foods and drinks that spike blood sugar like sugars, high GI foods not eaten in combination with low GI foods - making high GL meals.

A healthy liver

Healthy Adrenal function - cortisol involved in glucose metabolism

Low body fat, especially visceral fat (around your middle) - secretes hormones that impair insulin sensitivity

Healthy Adrenal function - for proper cortisol levels, which is involved in glucose metabolism

so if i do all of this then it should get rid of m y backheads and clogged pores ... ?hyperkeratinization and hyperproliferation is the first stage of acne right ?

how helpful of you rakbs! It might be anecdotal evidence, but it does make sense. What is so incomprehensible?

That's not anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is "I cured my acne by reducing the amount of trans fat in my diet." What you were doing was supplying bogus science for why trans fat may cause acne.

In particular, I take trouble with these quotes: "they are harder for your body to process"; "they might hang around longer in your pores."

Good things for blood sugar

so if i do all of this then it should get rid of m y backheads and clogged pores ... ?hyperkeratinization and hyperproliferation is the first stage of acne right ?

Yes, except you should also consider inflammation and intolerances as well. And dairy contains IGF1, so even if you aren't intolerant, you should limit it.

cool, fiannly something that can stop these blackheads andclogged pores from forming in the first place instaed of jsut treating the symptoms with BHA etc.

have u personlly got rid of your blackheads using this diet ?

also ... do you know if this will work for Seb Derm. the only symptom i get from SD is the build up of dead skin cells and clogged pores .... especially on my eyebrows ?

thanks

cool, fiannly something that can stop these blackheads andclogged pores from forming in the first place instaed of jsut treating the symptoms with BHA etc.

have u personlly got rid of your blackheads using this diet ?

Yes, although I do use BHA once in a while.

omg ive been reading thru the info on the this board and i dont know what im not suposed to be eating ... aer carbs bad for acne ? do i haev to go on a low carb diet ?

im 6ft tall and weigh 108 lbs (BMI 14.6) !! if i start doing all these diet sugestions i will probably die or have some seroius problems due to such a low weight !

omg ive been reading thru the info on the this board and i dont know what im not suposed to be eating ... aer carbs bad for acne ? do i haev to go on a low carb diet ?

im 6ft tall and weigh 108 lbs (BMI 14.6) !! if i start doing all these diet sugestions i will probably die or have some seroius problems due to such a low weight !

No. Eat real, nutrient dense foods which include carbs. Limit sugars, refined carbs, processed foods, hydrogenated/trans fats.

also in that link you provided you mention

'Low body fat, especially visceral fat (around your middle) - secretes hormones that impair insulin sensitivity'

what does this mean ... does it mean that low body fat is bad for ance ? im very underweight ... 6ft tall weigh 110 lbs

No. Low body fat is generally good for acne. I'll edit that to make it clearer. But Low body fat is meant to be an item in the list of good things. Especially low visceral fat as visceral fat secretes hormones that impair insulin.

Body fat also affects hormone levels directly.

thanks for the reply .. one more queestion lol .

i think i read in another post that you have / still have KP. i thought KP was just excess keratin / hyperkeratinization. does this mean that this diet is only for Acne ??

thanks for the reply .. one more queestion lol .

i think i read in another post that you have / still have KP. i thought KP was just excess keratin / hyperkeratinization. does this mean that this diet is only for Acne ??

No, it's for health, anti-aging, disease prevention, and KP. As IGF1 is a trigger for hyperkeritinization and elevated blood sugar stimulates IGF1. But you can't know exactly what and how much to eat, how much to avoid. And sugar's not the only thing that does it. Like I said in that thread, I've only just started looking into it. Also, I do not follow a strict diet, therefore I do eat some bad things. Perhaps I need to eat less dairy which contains IGF1. Perhaps I need more linoleic acid. Perhaps I need more D.

Anyway, the diet I follow has been enough to make my skin barely oily and clear of acne. But this winter with the dry air and heating, it seemed to have led to a KP breakout. We've had a freakishly unusual amount of days of very low humidity. It actually all went away a little over a week ago when the weather turned warmer and more humid.

If you are looking for an exact prescription, you aren't going to find it.

thanks for the replies

im trying to understand how food and the amount you each in one go affects insulin ...

am i correct in saying that insulin spikes after every large meal ...

e.g. if i were to consume 3000 calories over 3 meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner , each meal containing 1000 caloires.

this would spike insulin after every meal right ? which would lead to insulin resitance ?

so would it be better spread 3000 calories over the entire day

e.g. eating 200 calories every hour ... (from 8am till 11pm) ?

im going to eliminate dairy and high GL food.

is there anything else that i shoulld limit/eliminate ?