Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
n1ck

trying to pop a cyst

so, im not experienced with cysts at all, i usually dont get many that often.

but about 3 days ago i tried to pop a cyst, and i kind of failed, and a couple of hours later BOOM another one right next to the one i tried to pop! and some smaller whiteheads around it..

today the first one has become a wound, but the second one keeps growing :(

my question: can popping a cyst create more cysts in the direct surroundings? because it definitely looks like i broke out around the first cysts when i tried to pop it :(

im trying to get rid of this cyst now, ive already read a part about cysts written by wynne (big thanks!! :))

so im going to try icing it now..

i sooo hope it helps, because the thing hurts :(

It's definitely possible as you're spreading the infection around not just on top of the skin but possibly causing the cyst to rupture under the skin. That can cause scarring and more infection.

Do not pop cysts or nodules or any other 'deep-seated' pimple.

Look at the tips in the last link in my signature for help on a particularly bothersome spot. The tips include ice, an antibiotic ointment (plain petrolatum jelly is fine, too), anti-inflammatory medication, and a bandaid. Good luck. :)

From personal experience...yes! It can and will, often times spread under the skin and create more cysts in the direct area and possibly other areas if the thing ruptures inside the skin... Best bet is not to mess with them especially if they are not "ready".

okey thanks, then i summonly swear to myself: i will never ever touch a cyst anymore..

ive got just a couple more questions, icing a skin irritation causen the skin to cool down and usually works for reducing bumps, but with a cyst, the pus is inside the skin right? and the pus is what causes irritation, but icing a cyst doesnt make the pus dissapear.

then how can it be, that icing a cyst will make it smaller?

and also: how can i get rid of the pus inside?

would drinking water help? (because it cleans the body from inside)

thanks so much!

edit: oh and, if i put ice on a cyst, it looks like its more irritated then before, is this temporary?

From the link in my signature:

The ice will reduce the swelling and the pain and the redness

Ahhhh, I see you and I are in the same boat. The exact thing happened to me! The first cyst is gone now, but there is a big hole surrounded by what looks like a burn wound, but the second one (got it from trying to pop the first one) just keeps growing and growing. It feels like a hard button under my skin. Have you had any success??

Ahhhh, I see you and I are in the same boat. The exact thing happened to me! The first cyst is gone now, but there is a big hole surrounded by what looks like a burn wound, but the second one (got it from trying to pop the first one) just keeps growing and growing. It feels like a hard button under my skin. Have you had any success??

where exactly in the same boat then! f'king anoying aint it? im getting sick of sitting inside (have been doing this for the past 3 days pffff) apart from working that is..

well, ive been aplying ice on the cyst ever since i posted this, the cyst seems to flatten out a bit, but my cheek is all red because of the cold, but this isnt a problem, it will propably be gone by the morning.

so ill be keeping it iced until i go to sleep, then ill put something on it (BP or maybe something else to try to kill the pus inside)

and then ill see what the morning brings!! (looking up to heaven) :P

Do you have insurance? If so, I recommend making an appointment to get it injected with cortizone if the ice isnt helping. If you dont have insurance, I would mix three table spoons of sea salt with a bit of water and apply that with a cotton ball as a compress.

I dont have insurance and this thing has been around since Sunday. So, basically I haven't left the house since Sunday except my trip today to my regular dr. for a physical. I hate life!

I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing is bringing this sucker down. It literally feels like a marble under the skin. My friend told me today to get some beet leaves and put them on my cyst then cover with a bandaid. I've never heard of doing such a thing and I dont know if she's just messing with me. However, I am tempted to do ANYTHING if this doesn't get better by tomorrow.

Keep me posted...

I dont have insurance and this thing has been around since Sunday. So, basically I haven't left the house since Sunday except my trip today to my regular dr. for a physical. I hate life!

I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing is bringing this sucker down. It literally feels like a marble under the skin. My friend told me today to get some beet leaves and put them on my cyst then cover with a bandaid. I've never heard of doing such a thing and I dont know if she's just messing with me. However, I am tempted to do ANYTHING if this doesn't get better by tomorrow.

Keep me posted...

Yeah I had a cyst on my chin for three weeks until I finally got it injected. Did you try the sea salt compress I recommended you?

Keep me posted...

im so sorry for you, i know exactly what ur going through, its just so shitty to have to sit at home all the time.. maybe you should indeed try the cortisone shot, i dont know the concequenses because ive never had one, but why not try it!?

for me, it seems like god is actually on my side this time

the lord has spoken!!! :P

the icing worked well, i iced the assh*le so much it actually isnt more then a bit red coloured tiny bump..

the only down side is, it costs so much effort and time.. i didnt even manage to make some homework, because i only had 1 hand available, the other was doing the icing all the time..

thanks to everyone who posted here, you've all saved me from a very nasty demon :P

On Paula Begoun's website she states that one should avoid icing the skin, however I have read on this board that it's a good idea to do so. With so much conflicting information i'm very confused. I'm really desperate right now, I developed a large painful cyst on my cheek. It's very red, angry, and obvious. Of course, after my foundation and powder it doesn't look red anymore, but i'm desperate to flatten it. It's been a week and no change in size. I've iced it a couple of times for about 5 minutes on and off and I applied antibiotic cream, but still nothing!

Avoid These Irritating Skin-Care Steps and Products

* Overly abrasive scrubs (such as those that contain aluminum oxide crystals, walnut shells, or pumice)

* Astringents containing irritating ingredients (alcohol and menthol being the prime offenders)

* Toners containing irritating ingredients (alcohol and menthol being the prime offenders)

* Scrub mitts

* Cold or hot water

* Steaming or icing the skin

* Facial masks containing irritating ingredients (watch out for fragrant essential oils and polyvinyl alcohol)

* Loofahs

* Bar soaps and bar cleansers (Source: International Journal of Dermatology, August 2002, pages 494-9; Skin Research and Technology, May 2001, pages 98-104; and Dermatology, March 1997, pages 258–262)

Keep me posted...

im so sorry for you, i know exactly what ur going through, its just so shitty to have to sit at home all the time.. maybe you should indeed try the cortisone shot, i dont know the concequenses because ive never had one, but why not try it!?

for me, it seems like god is actually on my side this time

the lord has spoken!!! :P

the icing worked well, i iced the assh*le so much it actually isnt more then a bit red coloured tiny bump..

the only down side is, it costs so much effort and time.. i didnt even manage to make some homework, because i only had 1 hand available, the other was doing the icing all the time..

thanks to everyone who posted here, you've all saved me from a very nasty demon :P

This sounds like the story of my current semester! I've never used so many ice cubes or spent so many days laying on the couch trying to do homework with one hand. Glad that sucker is toast!!! =)

Oh yeah! I'm paying for popping one right now. 4 eventually developed around the one (the worst I've ever had!) and now I'm trying to lessen the reddish scars from them.

I used differin on my cyst and it went down in about 2 days. Quite effective.

Differin cream made my skin fantastic for nearly 8 months and then eventually stopped working. :( It does initially help with cysts though! When I used it I barely broke out in any.