Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhiterShade

A Claravis Retrospective

Yesterday I took my last Accutane pill, left the house without makeup, and went swimming for the first time in years. Let me tell you, this is a dream come true. I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful transformation.

Here's a summary of my course:

Month 1: 30mg

Month 2: 30mg

Month 3: 40mg

Month 4: 40mg

Month 5: 40mg

Month 6: 40mg

Month 7: 40mg

I'm 5'7 and 113lbs, so my cumulative dose was around 150mg/kg.

I'll be writing more about my course, along with some of my skin history and a couple of random stories. Now that I'm no longer desperately trying to fix my acne, I feel like I can really settle down and put my thoughts in order. Hope you enjoy!

Reading success stories like yours makes me so hopeful for the future (I'm only on day 19 myself...). I can especially relate to the makeup and swimming thing. I used to love to swim but find the thought of it right now impossible.

Thanks for the post. it's really cheered me up :D

cindy_sue: I know what you mean. I didn't go swimming for the longest time. Water in general was a terrible thing...I live in a dorm with lots of other students, so getting out of the shower involved a mad dash to my room with my arm over my face before anyone could see me. Now I get out of the shower and I actually feel clean. I hope your skin clears beautifully...good luck with your course!

Week 1 Post Accutane

First, the good news: absolutely no spots to report. I was one of those people who cleared up like WHOA in my first few months, then hit a plateau where I was getting a tiny pimple here and there and was never reeeallly 100%. Around this time, I remember reading something like, "Many people do not become completely clear until after their course is complete." And I was like ooh, me! And apparently it's true, because my skin has gotten better and better in the past week off the Accutane. Seems that in general, my body is a bit happier without Tane in the system, and a happy body means happy skin.

Second, and this might be all in my head, but I swear my energy is coming back. I experienced big-time tiredness throughout my course, and the other day I woke up and...wasn't sleepy. And during the day, I'm feeling alert and motivated to do things. Trust me, this is a big deal for me, as I was a champion nap-taker and eleven-hour-sleeper this year.

And it's so weird that my lips aren't dry anymore. It reminds me of when I got my braces off, and all of a sudden my teeth were smooth. I was like, okay, I know this is how things are supposed to be, but it still feels extremely weird. I kind of miss the dry lips, honestly.

Other than that, everything is normal. My dermatologist told me that after the Accutane, my skin would get oilier and my pores would start to look bigger. So naturally I look in the mirror and think my pores are bigger now. But, first of all I'm probably imagining things, and second of all, who the eff cares about pores?

glad to hear all is well !!! im curious to see your "journal" through accutane treatment.. im very, VERY paranoid about this whole process.. "should this be happening, should this NOT be happening, this and that". im 1 month in and theres no looking back now.

Week 2 Post Accutane

I'm stunned and amazed: still nothing new. Each day I wake up with lovely skin, despite the fact that it's been two weeks since my last pill, I'm going through a terrifying burst of schoolwork, and I'm sucking down Otter Pops like there's no tomorrow. Way to go, skin...I'm proud of you!

But there's no sense resting on my laurels. Today I'm starting my maintenance regimen of Green Cream, an over-the-counter topical retinol product. I'll start with a patch test, then work my way up to a few times a week. This is pretty nerdy, but I'm totally excited to start using it. I still have a soft spot for skin care products, even after years of throwing away creams and lotions that never worked. They're just so cute and promising in their little bottles.

First of all thank u so much for doing a post accutane log. Please keep it up. Very motivating. I am finished June 16th and cant wait to get my lips back...I noticed u were taking an anti redness product. Do u still have the accutane red face or has that dissipated a little. Thanks again love the log.

First of all thank u so much for doing a post accutane log. Please keep it up. Very motivating. I am finished June 16th and cant wait to get my lips back...I noticed u were taking an anti redness product. Do u still have the accutane red face or has that dissipated a little. Thanks again love the log.

help-mee: I have one of those fair Irish complexions, so I'm naturally prone to redness. I blush when I'm embarrassed, when I'm angry, when I get compliments, when people stare at me...haha, it's ridiculous. So I definitely got the Accutane red face! I could actually feel my face heating up, especially when I exercised or had any alcohol (I know you're not supposed to drink on Accutane, but ssh).

I was surprised at how quickly this went away after stopping my course. I don't seem to get the Accutane blushes anymore. I've read about people whose redness persists for years at a time, and that scared me. But so far, so good. I think the Eucerin product helps a lot, as does sunscreen and keeping hydrated.

Week 3 Post Accutane

Drumroll please...no blemishes! I'm crossing my fingers that I can stay clear as long as possible.

The texture of my skin has changed somewhat. I woke up one morning and my skin felt a bit thicker and dewier, instead of the thin, dry skin I'm used to. While I was secretly hoping for a lifetime of oil-free skin, it's actually not a terrible thing to have my oil returning. I don't have to moisturize constantly anymore. And luckily I'm not shiny like I was before treatment, and no oil comes off on my fingers...it's just the right amount.

My retinol cream also seems to keep the oil at bay. I've been using a little sample tube of Green Cream, and I just took the plunge and ordered a big bottle. So far it's been nice, no irritation at all (this surprised me) and I'd like to incorporate it into my long-term care routine.

By the way, I'm going to see if I can add some pictures this week. My dermatologist took some photos of me right before starting treatment; maybe I can get her to email them to me.

Week 4 Post Accutane

Boy, this week was HOT. I live on the third floor of a dorm without air conditioning, and with the 90+ degree weather, it was like living in an attic! As a result, my face was sticky and shiny most of the time. I wasn't sure whether it was oil returning with a vengeance, or just a constant sheen of sweat. Luckily, the shine disappeared as the weather cooled off, so I can continue celebrating my clean, non-oily complexion.

I really like Green Cream so far. You're supposed to start slow, using it a few times a week and gradually work yourself up to once a day, then eventually twice a day. But since I've had no irritation at all, I jumped straight into using it 1-2 times a day. (Ha, I'm so impatient. How I sat through 7 months of Accutane is beyond me.) When starting Green Cream, it's common for people to get oily for a little while, then normalize. Maybe that happened? It's hard to say for sure.

Bottom line, though, is that my face is clear. It's wonderful. I had two job interviews in San Francisco this week, and I'm pleased to say I was able to be confident and make eye contact and feel good about myself. I landed my first choice summer job, and I don't know if I would have been as successful with a face full of acne. I remember how mortified I was last year by career fairs, job interviews, etc. This year, it was actually kind of fun.

I was hoping to post some before/after pictures today, but my dermatologist doesn't email pictures for privacy reasons. Maybe I can drop by the office and get some in person, because I'd really like to have them for myself.

Tomorrow I'm getting my 30-day post-Accutane blood draw. After that, no more needles. Joyous day!

Thanks!

Good news folks, my derm is sending me those pics through the mail. Soon you will be able to see me in all my Accutane-induced glory.

Week 5 Post-Accutane

All right, everyone: pictures of my results! I will be posting "before" pics as soon as they arrive, so you can see what I looked like when I started. Meanwhile, check out the skin I always dreamed of.

Smiling

Face

Forehead

Jawline

Left Profile

Right Profile

No makeup except some mascara and lip gloss.

I want to point out that having clear skin has immensely affected my well-being. I wish I could show you a "before" and "after" of my mind. For those of you who are struggling right now, I promise it gets better. There's nothing like taking a problem into your own hands and achieving good results...it gives you such a strong feeling of self-efficacy and satisfaction. I've had two tiny spots since finishing the course, and I didn't feel the need to pick at them or stress over them. They both disappeared on their own, and I barely realized they were there. Maybe those days of anxiety and compulsive picking are finally behind me.

More ramblings next week!

post-101666-1243279988_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280005_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280050_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280058_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280064_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280071_thumb.png

post-101666-1243279988_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280005_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280050_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280058_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280064_thumb.png

post-101666-1243280071_thumb.png

First of all u are absolutely gorgeous, and I wish you all the best in staying clear. This post tane thing u are doing has kept me on track, and with only 14 days to go, the nervousness of the crap returning has been sickening so your blog thing has been invaluable. Please keep going with your updates. Have your lips come back yet? Cant wait for that.

Thanks again

help meee: Thanks so much for the kind words. My lips actually came back in a matter of days. During my course, I had to apply Aquaphor every night, every morning, and lots of times in between...and suddenly, I didn't need it at all.

nappyjim: Well, my "before" pictures came in the mail today. Here they are...

My dermatologist took these photos in her office the day I started Accutane. I'm so glad I have them, because these are my only pre-Accutane pictures with no makeup. I was very enthusiastic about applying concealer everywhere I went, and I avoided having my picture taken whenever I could. As you can see, the change is pretty dramatic.

post-101666-1243541009_thumb.jpg

post-101666-1243541015_thumb.jpg

post-101666-1243541022_thumb.jpg

post-101666-1243541009_thumb.jpg

post-101666-1243541015_thumb.jpg

post-101666-1243541022_thumb.jpg

It is interesting to see the after pics first! I was like, wow what gorgeous skin, she couldn't have had bad acne! What an amazing change! Your skin looks perfect now:)

has anyone told you that you look like a prettier/cuter version of kate winslet? But in no way am I using the word "version" to imply a lack of individuality on your part. There's just some similarities going on that can't be missed! Anyhow, congrats on the results, that's amazing. I've read one of your posts (that's how I found this blog) regarding mendelian inheritance and how it doesn't apply for most traits. Epistasis! What's your background, I'm curious?

whitershade...... that is effing amazing!!!

i cannot believe how much your skin improved. you have flawless skin today and then its like it was a different person.

i thought the same thing when i saw your after picture before your before pictures.... i was like im sure she didnt even have that bad of skin before since your after pic looked like a woman who would has had porcelane skin since birth...lol.. but as i can now see your choice to go on accutane was such a perfect decision....even though the progress of accutane is out of our control.. i need to say im very proud of you and how awesome you look now.

thanks for sharing your story and providing insight and advice on my log!

much love xooxxo

Week 6 Post-Accutane (Really? Wow.)

Everyone, thank you so much for your comments. I loved reading them! Even with good results, I still instinctively think of myself as a person with "problem skin," so reading your kind words is so wonderful, and it reminds me that I actually am clear now.

john1234: Haha, never heard that one before, but now I shall watch Titanic with great pride and joy. By the way, did you mean my genetic background, or my background in biology? Hm I'll give you both: I'm half Irish, half Scottish/Welsh, got the unfortunate skin from my mom's side I think. I'm a college senior majoring in human biology (basically a neuroscience geek) so I like reading about genetics and such things.

Now, for my regularly scheduled update: I've gotten maybe two tiny dots since last week, but once again they were barely visible and they vanished immediately. I'm thinking, maybe this is just a final adjustment to being off Accutane / on Green Cream and everything will level out in a couple of weeks. But hey, I could get occasional tiny dots for the rest of my life and I'd be happy. It's such a joke compared to how things were before.

Despite the stress of final exams and crunch time at school, I feel better now than I have in such a long time. Not only do blondes have more fun, but I'm discovering that clear-skinned people have more fun too.

Although, one thing hasn't changed: I still look like hell under fluorescent light. Why would anyone invent the fluorescent light? It just makes everybody's skin look dull, greenish, and awful. The world is so much more appealing by sunlight, moonlight, lamplight, or candlelight. Pretty much any light, except the sort you find buzzing and humming in an office ceiling.

Thanks for commenting in my blog. Your before and after pictures are AMAZING! Such a transformation. I wish you and your skin the very best. I hope it behaves now and gives you many years of enjoyment. :)