Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Namaste

professional facials...

massaging skin enhances circulation, wonderful, but i've also heard that during a facial the person extracts impurities from the skin and exfoliates dead cells away. can we trust that the person isn't going to mess around with deep whiteheads that won't manually budge, causing them to inflame the next day, or what if they just scrub around and break things open and spread bacteria everywhere? naturally if this were going to be done i'd prefer to go when i don't have any, or many, actives...though that's not too often. has anyone ever gotten a facial? my sister gave me a coupon towards one and i'm curious. they have an option for an acne facial, but could that be too drying? plus, everyone's definition of acne is different.

i'm planning on getting a 30 minutes facial and telling them to be very gentle, perhaps not even extract anything cause if after all this time i haven't found a proper way to remove a deep whitehead, they probably won't be able to either. definitely won't go unless i don't have any actives.

I would also love to know that answer to this!

i would looooove to go for a facial but am terrified that it makes the acne worse!

Anyone have the answers for us??

It very much depends on the skills of the person doing the facial and what experience they have in working with acne prone skin. Facials done by a skilled esthetician can significantly help clear your acne, but a poorly done facial could flare your acne or do other damage to the skin.

Facials also have to be done on a regular basis for them to really make a difference in keeping your skin clear. One facial won't do all that much. I get facials at an acne clinic and they help my skin a lot. When I first started going there, I got facials every 2 wks and also had a prescribed home care regimen they designed for me. After I got clear, I only went in every 4-6 wks for the facials (and I still do).

My recommendation is not to just get them done at any old day spa - you want to find someone who really knows how to work with acne prone skin.