Notifications
Clear all

How much fruit should you really eat?

MemberMember
(@neverforget)

Posted : 04/20/2009 6:31 pm

Hi folks.

Basically I've been eating a lot of fruit lately which acts as a substitute to my normal biscuits or whatever. Now I know that Fruit & Veg help significantly for fighting against acne, but where should I draw a limit? I understand that Fruit is full of sugar, so basically how much should I try to take?

I have reasonably mild Acne at the moment. My biggest problem is my red marks, that is what i'm really trying to get rid off.

Thanks a heap in advance. Any advice would indeed be great!

MemberMember
(@charliieee)

Posted : 04/20/2009 8:54 pm

restricting calories and smaller portions are great for fading red marks. Try to get a lot of sleep and cut back on hot drinks like tea and coffee, which tend to make red marks more visible.

I would limit your fruit to one piece a day on an EMPTY stomach...NOT first thing in the morning!

MemberMember
(@pana16)

Posted : 04/20/2009 9:16 pm

restricting calories and smaller portions are great for fading red marks. Try to get a lot of sleep and cut back on hot drinks like tea and coffee, which tend to make red marks more visible.

I would limit your fruit to one piece a day on an EMPTY stomach...NOT first thing in the morning!

why "NOT first thing in the morning"?

MemberMember
(@jadedpoet)

Posted : 04/20/2009 9:34 pm

I found eating two to three pieces a day really helped me out a lot, once I had stopped bumps slowly came back in. I'm not a big water drinker either so I got alot of my fluids from them. I don't understand the fear of the sugars that come with fruits. Aren't our body's made to handle the natural sugars and break them down. ;)

I would think granulated sugar and things processed would be one. Hey I could be wrong but its just a thought I had after someone posted a statement similar to that. I would usually eat a banana for breakfast, an apple later and maybe some grapes whenever I want to snack. It kills any sugar craving I may get for a candy bar at times. :)

I hope it works out for you!!

MemberMember
(@neverforget)

Posted : 04/21/2009 6:53 am

Hey folks,

thanks a lot for all the answers!

Meat Pirate: What about Green Tea? It's a great source of antioxidants I hear, so it should help with red marks?

JadedPoet: I've heard that Grapes and Bananas can trigger Acne and that grapes are a bad source of carbohydrates? I read that from another topic on here whixh stated the following:

Good Carbohydrates

Almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts

Apples, peaches, pears and plums

Blueberries, cantaloupe and blackberries

Asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, spinach

Beans ¯¿½‚Å¡¯¿½¯¿½…œ black, kidney or lima

Slow cooked Oatmeal (not instant)

Bad Carbohydrates

Breads, Processed Cereals

Fruit Juices and Dried Fruit

Grapes, Oranges, Banana

Carrots, Peas, Corn, Potatoes

Rice, Pasta

Pancakes, Waffles

Once again, thanks for all the help. Much appreciated :D

MemberMember
(@missmuffit)

Posted : 04/21/2009 7:03 am

Fruit is not bad for you! Suger from fruit is different to normal "table sugar" found in sweets and chocolates ect

Fructose (sugar from fruit) is broken down by the body slowly and is converted into

SUCROSE and GLYCOGEN. Fructose is often recommended for, and consumed

by, people with diabetes or hypoglycemia, because it has a

very low Glycemic Index

Glycemic index (you see those packs in the shop saying low GI) is a ranking system for

carbohydrates based on their immediate effect on blood glucose levels

Basically Fruit sugar is better for you than table sugar.

When you eat table sugar (Sucrose) your bodies go out of sync with

our sugar levels as the sugar is processed in the body extremely fast

and in doing this the body informs the pancreas to pump out insulin.

Someone with a weak pancreas will have a hard time doing this.

Fructose (fruit sugar) is broken down more slowly which allows the

body more time to react to the sugar that has been consumed. This

puts less stress on the body and also the pancreas.

So basically fruit sugar is very different and i wouldnt worry about eating it! I eat alot of fruit since it readily available where i stay, banana and paw paw even growns wild in my back yard! and i haven t broken out

But still, all things in moderation, if your body is not used to alot of fruit you may have a runny tummy!

i found a website with alot of info on this topic, here is the link

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/21/2009 11:12 am

It varies from person to person and what else you eat. The only fruit I worry at all about are the ones I am allergic to.

And don't eat excessive amounts of anything.

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 04/21/2009 12:43 pm

Basically Fruit sugar is better for you than table sugar.

When you eat table sugar (Sucrose) your bodies go out of sync with

our sugar levels as the sugar is processed in the body extremely fast

and in doing this the body informs the pancreas to pump out insulin.

Someone with a weak pancreas will have a hard time doing this.

Fructose (fruit sugar) is broken down more slowly which allows the

body more time to react to the sugar that has been consumed. This

puts less stress on the body and also the pancreas.

Table sugar actually contains more fructose than the typical fruit (sucrose is made up of one glucose and one fructose molecule). Using your logic, this would mean that table sugar is healthier than fruit sugar.

And fructose isn't really the "fruit sugar" at all. Fruit contains fructose, glucose, sucrose, as well as some starch. Fiber is also a component of fruit's carbohydrate content.

And don't eat excessive amounts of anything.

Nor should you eat too little of anything. ;)

MemberMember
(@suzushii)

Posted : 04/21/2009 1:53 pm

Table sugar actually contains more fructose than the typical fruit (sucrose is made up of one glucose and one fructose molecule).

A material contains more fructose then a serving of fruit? That makes no sense, it's like saying ciment contains more calcium then a watermelon.

Anyways, fructose shmuctose, fruit contains vitamins , and fiber, and phytonutrients, and water, and yes, some small quantity of sugar. If you're gonna binge on anything, binge on fruit. At least, I dare you too. At some point you will feel inevitably full from all that water and fibre. I personally stop at 2-3, because I can't eat anymore. Compare that to even drinking a can of coke, which has 12 teaspoons of sugar. How many teaspoons of sugar can you eat from eating fruit? Not that many. And how much coke can you drink a day? I've done 3 liters, and I wasn't even thirsty.

Oh, and if you're gonna eat fruit, go for the seasonally available kinds - apples, pears etc. Bananas ehhhh waay too starchy. I personally consider it the potato of the fruit kingdom :P.

MemberMember
(@aksjdf)

Posted : 04/21/2009 5:16 pm

This is the first I've heard of tea aggravating red marks. Where did you hear that? Ugh.

MemberMember
(@databased)

Posted : 04/21/2009 9:04 pm

Anyways, fructose shmuctose, fruit contains vitamins , and fiber, and phytonutrients, and water, and yes, some small quantity of sugar.

Amazing how much sweetness there can be in an apple. Hmmm, is that really a "small" quantity of sugar? Getting out calculator... Lessee, random Internet source #1 says some random apple has 6 grams of fructose per 100 grams of apple. Hmm, so how big is an apple? I tend to eat those big ol' Red Delicious, so I'll go with 9 ounces, or 255 grams. OK, so 6 * 255 /100 = 15.3 grams of fructose.

It's tricky figuring out how much fructose is in a can of Coke (and, as with apples, can only be an approximation since Coke has always altered their recipes to suit regional variations in taste). Random Internet source #2 (that uses a lot of big words, which is why I picked it!) claims there's about 15 grams of fructose. Wow, that's creepy how they came out equal! I wonder if I got the math right on that?

If you're gonna binge on anything, binge on fruit.

Of course, if fructose malabsorption contributed to acne, that could be very bad advice. Even moreso since the fructose malabsorption literature claims it's the ratio of fructose/glucose that makes the intestinal problem worse, and something like an apple has a much higher ratio than a Coke (55/45 by most accounts). OTOH, it could help explain why some people are frustrated to find that giving up "sugar" (by which they mean sugar in some packaged product) in exchange for "eating healthy" (by which they mean eating lots of sugar via fruits or -- god help us -- smoothies that densify the sugar content to insane levels) didn't help their acne.

MemberMember
(@klp11289)

Posted : 04/21/2009 9:54 pm

Anyways, fructose shmuctose, fruit contains vitamins , and fiber, and phytonutrients, and water, and yes, some small quantity of sugar.

Amazing how much sweetness there can be in an apple. Hmmm, is that really a "small" quantity of sugar? Getting out calculator... Lessee, random Internet source #1 says some random apple has 6 grams of fructose per 100 grams of apple. Hmm, so how big is an apple? I tend to eat those big ol' Red Delicious, so I'll go with 9 ounces, or 255 grams. OK, so 6 * 255 /100 = 15.3 grams of fructose.

It's tricky figuring out how much fructose is in a can of Coke (and, as with apples, can only be an approximation since Coke has always altered their recipes to suit regional variations in taste). Random Internet source #2 (that uses a lot of big words, which is why I picked it!) claims there's about 15 grams of fructose. Wow, that's creepy how they came out equal! I wonder if I got the math right on that?

If you're gonna binge on anything, binge on fruit.

Of course, if fructose malabsorption contributed to acne, that could be very bad advice. Even moreso since the fructose malabsorption literature claims it's the ratio of fructose/glucose that makes the intestinal problem worse, and something like an apple has a much higher ratio than a Coke (55/45 by most accounts). OTOH, it could help explain why some people are frustrated to find that giving up "sugar" (by which they mean sugar in some packaged product) in exchange for "eating healthy" (by which they mean eating lots of sugar via fruits or -- god help us -- smoothies that densify the sugar content to insane levels) didn't help their acne.

I cannot eat ANY fruit. None at all. of course right now I go party every night and im not sleeping optimally so thats partly why. I can eat a little if i live perectly but screw that. Anyway It definately contributed to the acne that i got last summer when i did a very extreme diet change (only fruits and veggies)...I had the most horrible acne. Huge and they left big scars all over me. I cant really eat any form of sugars whether its processed shi* like pasta bread and candy or fruit sugars & lactose sugars....they do contribute to severe acne for me. Alot of people here will tell you that fruit is so good for you etc....and it might help some...but if you start eating alot of fruit and it breaks you out or your acne becomes worse... yeah its probably fruit. I stick to a very strict meat, fat and small amounts of vegetables type diet.. that is the only thing that has helped fade my red spots.. but it is a sacrifice at the beginning...after that it becomes second nature, as most diets do if you fall in love with how they make you feel.

MemberMember
(@mojojojojogmail-com)

Posted : 04/22/2009 2:45 am

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 04/22/2009 7:23 am

A material contains more fructose then a serving of fruit? That makes no sense, it's like saying ciment contains more calcium then a watermelon.

I should have said that: table sugar has a similar proportion of calories from fructose (upon digestion) as fruit.

50% of the carbohydrates from table sugar come from fructose. This ratio is very similar in other fruits; in many instances, sugar has a higher proportion.

Oh, and if you're gonna eat fruit, go for the seasonally available kinds - apples, pears etc. Bananas ehhhh waay too starchy. I personally consider it the potato of the fruit kingdom :P.

If you advocate binging on fruit, I have to ask, what's wrong with starch?

MemberMember
(@addie)

Posted : 04/22/2009 7:48 am

I try to stick to couple pieces of fruit per day, in order to keep the sugar down. I eat multiple salads, raw carrots, and raw peppers to get in the rest of my fruit and vegetable servings.

MemberMember
(@neverforget)

Posted : 06/27/2009 7:14 am

I try to stick to couple pieces of fruit per day, in order to keep the sugar down. I eat multiple salads, raw carrots, and raw peppers to get in the rest of my fruit and vegetable servings.

Peppers? I love them, but I hear they annoy acne? I wish I were able to eat them!

MemberMember
(@strato)

Posted : 06/27/2009 11:59 am

what about strawberries? (they're vegetables right!?). I just ate 2 kg of strawberries. should I be worried?

MemberMember
(@charlotte_89)

Posted : 06/27/2009 12:00 pm

Hi folks.

Basically I've been eating a lot of fruit lately which acts as a substitute to my normal biscuits or whatever. Now I know that Fruit & Veg help significantly for fighting against acne, but where should I draw a limit? I understand that Fruit is full of sugar, so basically how much should I try to take?

I have reasonably mild Acne at the moment. My biggest problem is my red marks, that is what i'm really trying to get rid off.

Thanks a heap in advance. Any advice would indeed be great!

It's down to you. If you can eat alot of fruit and not break out from it, then you may aswell. I'm pretty sure if I eat too much fruit I will break out between my eyebrows...it's so annoying!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/24/2013 1:36 am

From my experience, stay away from fruits. If they are your only source of sugar or carbs, 2 maximum fruits a day

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 05/24/2013 1:18 pm

Yah. I'd like to cut the fruits but my mom keeps trying to stop me telling me it is unhealthy. Pretty annoying. Anyway, fruits are full of sugar and in my mind eating one of them is just like eating a spoon of table sugar.so I try to cut down on them especially dry fruit. Those are the worst. Everyone is different. I watched a video of a fruitarian on YouTube where it got rid of his acne. I think for teens where acne is usually caused by the natural insulin resistance we should avoid fruits if we already know that sugar triggers out acne.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/24/2013 1:39 pm

Yah. I'd like to cut the fruits but my mom keeps trying to stop me telling me it is unhealthy. Pretty annoying. Anyway, fruits are full of sugar and in my mind eating one of them is just like eating a spoon of table sugar.so I try to cut down on them especially dry fruit. Those are the worst. Everyone is different. I watched a video of a fruitarian on YouTube where it got rid of his acne. I think for teens where acne is usually caused by the natural insulin resistance we should avoid fruits if we already know that sugar triggers out acne.

Unfortunately I am not a teenager (I am 23 years old). I guess for someone like me, I have to live a life filled with eating food that gives zero enjoyment. Everyone around me is eating sugary goodness while I am confined to my home eating animal fat. Ridiculous eh?

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 05/24/2013 2:22 pm

i have an apple and a cucumber along with a side dish of dal(lentils as a source of protein) and my lemon green tea as breakfast.(i get up pretty late and these are enough for me).

i also have one serving(or less) of papaya or any other fruit like water watermelon or lichi sometimes.

a nutritionist once said that fruits in breakfast(within 20 mins after u wake up) is healthy.probably because they help take in maximum vitamins from them.

if u have insulin issues u can take cinnamon along with it.or just sprinkle it.

personally i have the tea 1st,then fruits and than dal.

i dont have cinnamon along with it and no,it does not seem to give me any problem.

i also dont have issues with rice so fruit compared to that is slight.

although i try having cinnamon after meals but even if i skip i dont think its a great deal FOR ME.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 05/25/2013 7:59 am

Well I have had acne for 20 years now, have always been a massive fan of fruit however I can't say it's helped my skin at all. But then because I've always eaten it, who knows what my skin would have been like had I not eaten it?

But right now, I am having between 5-10 pieces of fruit and veg per day. Every morning I make myself a smoothie for breakfast which contains at least 4 pieces, then have more fruit and veg plus salad with my dinner, some of it being the so called 'superfood' fruit and veg. Makes me so upset that I eat so well but my skin is in this state, yet some people I know don't even buy fruit and veg and their skin is fine!!! Argh, what the hell :(

MemberMember
(@reneeawen)

Posted : 05/25/2013 8:14 am

Personally I eat fresh blueberries, strawberries, apples (usually sour green), and plums. Every now and then I'll have a banana.

Fruit obviously comes with a variety of different sugars and nutrients. Fructose may be an issue for the gut, where as banana's may be an issue for the Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load. Then there's the nutrients in fruit that HELP acne, but MAY be aggravating your digestive system, such as your stomach or gut. My aunt can't eat oranges because they give her a kind of acid reflux feeling, and people with gut issues may benefit from not eating fruits and vegetables with fructose in them:

http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/paleo-diet-and-fodmap.html

However, there are so many things to take into consideration, and not everyone is the same. ONE fruit can fall into 10 different categories, both good and bad depending on what you're looking for. Some people benefit from 5 servings of fruit a day, and some don't eat any fruit at all. Ideally, I would start off with just one or two a day, then increase or decrease at your own preference.

MemberMember
(@stellamarch16)

Posted : 06/02/2013 7:57 am

Frankly speaking, 5-6 pieces of different colored fruits a day is more than enough. Similarly with veggies it is the same. Yes its true that certain fruits have really high level of sugar and fruits in general anyway have fructose, but unlike regular sugar fructose isnt harmful.