Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ah guys and gals... i'm feeling horrible. My acne is not letting me do anything and the worst part is that my family doesn't realize the root of my problems.

My acne is so bad I wish I could stay at home all day and not go out at all. I'm 19 and my parents beg me to get a job and help out but they don't realize how difficult it is for me. I kind of play stupid and pretend that i'm lazy but seriously I would like nothing more than to go out there and help my parents and make money for myself. I wish I had the money to move out until my acne cleared up away from all my friends but I can't get money since i'm too paranoid to go get a job.

I'm even paranoid to go buy my acne pills that a dermatologist prescribed me. I've been putting it off this whole past week hoping that my acne would go down =(

My dad had a talk with me asking why I was so detached from the family... But I just can't tell him and it kills me inside.

I know some of you may tell me to tell my parents but seriously... you think that they'll understand?? (that's rhetorical)

I look at it this way... if i was in trial and a judge asked me why I didn't get a job or miss days in school and i told him and the jury it was cause of my acne..

people would laugh and wouldn't take my reason seriously...

they'd tell me to grow up and...

I dunno......... it's horrible...

I'm old enough to be your mother and I'd understand if my child came to me and told me his/her life is upside down and s/he's in emotional turmoil for some reason.

Perhaps your parents don't realize the extent of how acne has affected you. What you can do is ask them to read your post above and tell them "That's me, and I don't know what to do."

You have two options: continue as you are and get more hermit-like and lose social skills, or you can open up to your mom and dad (who obviously are concerned about you as they've asked you what's going on). They can help you get the help you need to be able to face your acne and get out back into the world. You might need counseling. There are low cost counseling options in almost every city.

duracell, your parents haven't been given a chance to offer you any support since they don't know the problem. They already know something is up because you've been confronted. You're 19, not 12, so of course they're going to give you some personal space if you don't want to talk. The ball is in your court though. Your dad sent it your way.

Duracell, listen to these ladies, they are wise ones. ^_^

I really can relate to what you are saying. I struggled whenever I was younger to make my mom understand how acne really affected me. I wasn't depressed, but I would get really frustrated and annoyed at my situation and I constantly thought I was ugly. I even tried to tell her this once, and she waved it away, saying how it wasn't a big deal and there are kids out there with a ton of issues bigger than mine.

That really didn't help. If anything, it made me feel worse. It took a while, but once I figured out how to make her understand that acne was more than just dealing with my appearance everyday, things got better. It takes a lot of courage to bring it up, but your parents probably have no idea. I'm glad to hear that you want something more in life, but you don't know how to get it. I have faith in you...it may feel impossible but just take the first step. I guarantee it get's easier after that!

I believe that you have to try to make an effort to get back out into the world. I know it will be very difficult, but we all have to place our problems to the side and make a living. When you get to the edge, you'll be at your strongest and respond. Trust me.

I'm at a breaking point, but that doesn't mean I will stop trying. I need to do this for myself. I have to keep my eye on what I need to do, and keep the distractions away. I'm confident you have the courage to do the same. Best.

It would be in your best interest to share you feelings with mom and dad. Good parents want to understand why their child is in pain. Give them the access, and you will be surprised at how rewarding the experience will be.