Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HyperSniper

Do movies that shows people with damaged faces make you think of yourself?

So my battle with acne is for the most part finished, I can control it now with a combo of diet and washing my face now. However, I have some pretty serious scars check my gallery, it's pretty epic. Nothing like most of you went or are going through. Yup, my avatar's skin is fake, thanks to photoshop.

What really hurts me though is when I see someone in a movie have some kind of severe facial damage. Like a recent example would be like in "Gran Torino." I'll try not to spoil the movie if you haven't seen it, but someone does get beat up and their face is all red (like mine) and swollen for the rest of the movie, and of course it's used to make you feel very sorry for the person and angry at the people who did it. Also in Fight Club, the same thing happens there, and you can't help but wince every time you look at the person.

When I see that happen to those people, I can't help but think of myself, and I start feeling REALLY bad. My internal dialogue would go something like this:

"Does everyone who looks at me think that? That I'm disgusting and have no value because of it?"

"Why does the face have to be so important, if a person got injured anywhere else the effect would be not even be close to this."

"I bet everyone thinks I'm an idiot because I didn't wash my face in highschool and got these massive scars because it."

Obviously, what you can't change about your appearance shouldn't matter to other people, but I seem to have a hard time convincing the emotional part of myself of that.

So, does this happen to anyone else? Has anyone found a way to reason through this to the point that this wave of self attack doesn't occur?

So my battle with acne is for the most part finished, I can control it now with a combo of diet and washing my face now. However, I have some pretty serious scars check my gallery, it's pretty epic. Nothing like most of you went or are going through. Yup, my avatar's skin is fake, thanks to photoshop.

What really hurts me though is when I see someone in a movie have some kind of severe facial damage. Like a recent example would be like in "Gran Torino." I'll try not to spoil the movie if you haven't seen it, but someone does get beat up and their face is all red (like mine) and swollen for the rest of the movie, and of course it's used to make you feel very sorry for the person and angry at the people who did it. Also in Fight Club, the same thing happens there, and you can't help but wince every time you look at the person.

When I see that happen to those people, I can't help but think of myself, and I start feeling REALLY bad. My internal dialogue would go something like this:

"Does everyone who looks at me think that? That I'm disgusting and have no value because of it?"

"Why does the face have to be so important, if a person got injured anywhere else the effect would be not even be close to this."

"I bet everyone thinks I'm an idiot because I didn't wash my face in highschool and got these massive scars because it."

Obviously, what you can't change about your appearance shouldn't matter to other people, but I seem to have a hard time convincing the emotional part of myself of that.

So, does this happen to anyone else? Has anyone found a way to reason through this to the point that this wave of self attack doesn't occur?

TO be honest at no point in a movie where such occurs gets me thinking about my face, unless one of the actors has acne scarring or something then i'd problably be asking myself the same questions, but over all i just concentrate more on the movie than anything else, i mean thats wat movies are for rite? to entertain you and distract you from reality, especially this HELLISH acne reality that we are all experiencing :(

Sometimes I wish my face was as smooth on my cheeks as an actress or two but I notice a lot of people don't really see my actual acne scarring just the discoloration as a result of it if they are close enough.

I have to agree with GT-stang you aren't bad, I found that using retinol and salicylic acid over a year helped a lot with my own scars and uneven skin tone. I was using the proactiv's nightime lotion that had it though.

Next time you watch fight club and watch Brad Pitt remember he also has acne scars and that doesn't stop women from wanting him. :-)

Try a rational approach. I developed acne in my teenage years, and unfortunately, I have some scarring to remind me of it. Actors with scarring will always remind me of my past. Don't become overwhelmed with what strangers and random people walking by think. That will drive you crazy.

Does movies that shows people with damaged faces make you think of yourself?

Heck no, and my scarring is considerably worse than yours. :)

If I see people wearing masks in movies (superhero, robber, whatever!) I actually think of the personality masks that everyone wears everyday.

You have a few scars but so? They do not detract from your appearance at all. Yes, you're going to get some biased views here, but I have been called attractive in spite of my scarring so I know that we here are not the only people who ignore acne scarring when making a judgment about someone's appearance.

If I see people wearing masks in movies (superhero, robber, whatever!) I actually think of the personality masks that everyone wears everyday.

Good point. Many of us portray an image that is fake. Just when you think you know somebody, you don't. We all have a little mystery to us.

Next time you watch fight club and watch Brad Pitt remember he also has acne scars and that doesn't stop women from wanting him. whistling.gif)

Lol, I'm a horrible judge of what attractive men look like. Like looking at the dude from Twilight I was pretty sure that guy was not good looking, however most people say the opposite.

Yeah, another thing I have to remind myself is that physical attractiveness is probably the last thing a woman looks for, unless she's just messed up and you don't want to go out with her anyway. Like, you could be a dude in a wheel chair with some kind of bone disorder and get more women than Brad Pitt if you presented yourself in the right way.

man, i took a look at your gallery, you have improved tremendously! Your have no acne and no redness whatsoever

Uh, yeah I do. Compared to before it's a lot better, but it's definitely still there.

Heh, for Halloween I went as Rorschach mostly because he wears a full face mask. rorschach1.gif

I tend to think the opposite.When I see someone with zits,I usually think how they dont look so bad so why cant I just overlook mine.

occassionally,yea.

Or in the past,definitely. Like when someone with the tinyest bit of acne was on tv and someone i was with would go 'god,they have a big zit on their cheek' id think :rolleyes: i have fucking several!

Your scars are not too bad man,over time they will lessen. Just be thankful the active acne is at bay!

i never really have this feeling, because the one with scars in a movie is usually some kind of tough cool guy :P

i just watched observe and report and ray liotta is in that movie so i got reminded of my scars. But hes a badass and a pimp in the movie so i felt pretty good haha

Yeah, another thing I have to remind myself is that physical attractiveness is probably the last thing a woman looks for, unless she's just messed up and you don't want to go out with her anyway. Like, you could be a dude in a wheel chair with some kind of bone disorder and get more women than Brad Pitt if you presented yourself in the right way.

Going to be brutally honest with you here. People who say beauty is on the inside typically say so to reassure themselves of what they lack in physical attractiveness can be made up with personality. Physical attractiveness is one of THE most important thing in starting a relationship. Sure, it diminishes with age and can be interchanged with things like fame, and money. But that's not the type of relationship you want anyways. Now I'm not saying personality isn't important, it definitely is, but it's more for the maintaining of a relationship. Let's face it which would a woman rather go out with guy a) who's really attractive and has a great personality or guy b) which is not really attractive and has a super great personality.

A dude in a wheelchair is not going to be more women then Brad Pitt, period. While your optimism is enlightening and these are a boards for support, sometime people need to hear the truth.

Your chances of falling in love and staying in a relationship increase as your level of attractiveness goes up. It's a fact, it's been proven, it's been documented. Woman who say, oh gosh the top quality i want in a man is honesty. That's just the presenting self, no one wants to sound shallow, but we all know the truth or at-least some of us do.

Also you're scarring isn't that bad if you're worried about it try microdermabrasion?

Do movies that shows people with damaged faces make you think of yourself?

Yeah Vanilla Sky.

Going to be brutally honest with you here. People who say beauty is on the inside typically say so to reassure themselves of what they lack in physical attractiveness can be made up with personality. Physical attractiveness is one of THE most important thing in starting a relationship. Sure, it diminishes with age and can be interchanged with things like fame, and money. But that's not the type of relationship you want anyways. Now I'm not saying personality isn't important, it definitely is, but it's more for the maintaining of a relationship. Let's face it which would a woman rather go out with guy a) who's really attractive and has a great personality or guy b) which is not really attractive and has a super great personality.

A dude in a wheelchair is not going to be more women then Brad Pitt, period. While your optimism is enlightening and these are a boards for support, sometime people need to hear the truth.

Your chances of falling in love and staying in a relationship increase as your level of attractiveness goes up. It's a fact, it's been proven, it's been documented. Woman who say, oh gosh the top quality i want in a man is honesty. That's just the presenting self, no one wants to sound shallow, but we all know the truth or at-least some of us do.

Hm, could you elaborate on that? You didn't give a lot of proof of why you think that way; you just asserted a lot of things.

Also you're scarring isn't that bad if you're worried about it try microdermabrasion?

Hm, cameras don't produce the same image as bathroom mirrors under floresent lights (which I know is the worst possible lighting ever for skin). There might also be some kind of weird thing going on about how people process the image of someone in a mirror, generally it's the mirrored image is considered to be more attractive, but in my case it appears to be opposite. Must be because I've got those scars, so my case is probably not the norm.

I probably will try microdermabrasion one of these days.

If you are an attractive person your chances of getting acceptance and relationships with the opposite gender are gonna be bigger than an ''ugly'' person definately. The first thing a woman is gonna look in you is the way you look, dress, etc. However that doesnt mean that because you have one or two pimples or some acne scars you wont get any girls, maybe you are gonna be outshined by better looking people in a club or a party but if you go to school or other environment where people can see further than your face and know the way you are, you will find somebody atracted to you most likely.

External beauty is a plus obviously and it's gonna give you more success and a bigger chance of getting a girl forsure but that doesnt mean that if you are not handsome you wont get any woman. There are other things like money and charm lol

I have to say YES, damaged faces in shows sometimes makes me think of acne. In Lost, one of the characters (Ben) gets beat up a lot and his face has cuts and bruises... I think to myself "oh it's just makeup, but even if were real it would heal in a few weeks, at least he doesn't have acne"

When Ed Norton gets beaten up in Fight Club and his face is all smashed in I thought he was the sexiest thing I had ever seen :|

And you can't compare cuts/bruises to acne scars :S

I think after you get to know someone who is not conventionaly attractive they become better looking because of their personality. Like if you meet a very attractice guy nd hes a total pig I'm going to be repulsed whenever I see him lol

It's a book that has been made into a mini-series: Esther Summerson in Bleak House by Charles Dickens gets smallpox and her face is supposed to be so awful she wears a veil. She gets treated differently and has to come to terms with her altered appearance. I definitely identified with her.

Yeah Vanilla Sky too. I couldn't help it. The halloween mask that you can only wear once a year didn't help.

Anyways if you are deppressed or have suicidal thoughts, please don't rent the movie.

It's a book that has been made into a mini-series: Esther Summerson in Bleak House by Charles Dickens gets smallpox and her face is supposed to be so awful she wears a veil. She gets treated differently and has to come to terms with her altered appearance. I definitely identified with her.

That's an interesting observation for sure. Smallpox scars are definitely VERY obvious and were so frequently considered disfiguring; some quotes from books I've read stated things like "her beauty was gone, completely gone, ravaged by smallpox". I wonder how much of that was due to the fact that smallpox was usually deadly and there were relatively few survivors and thus the scars could be reminder of someone's mortality? Or a reminder that someone had been deathly ill and had scarring to prove it? Interesting observation.