Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moon Bunny

Wasn't sure where to put this .. about accutane

So when I was 18 I went on accutane for the first time. My accutane journey was anything but peaceful, however, it was the only thing that ever worked to clear my skin. For the past 4 months my skin has been absolutely horrible. My last dermatologist appointment, he only gave me antibiotics which I can understand my skin was much clearer back then. The antibiotics are not working anymore however.

My skin is always broken out now, except for 3 days after my period. That's the only time it's even slightly clear anymore. And it is affecting me so much. I never leave my house, because i'm so ashamed of the way I look. I just recently graduated from school in January and I have yet to pursue my career because of this. I have no social life at all anymore.

I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow and i'm terrified because my skin is really pretty clear right now. But I want to go back on accutane. I'm 21, I don't want to be dealing with this anymore or messing around with topicals. I just want my clear skin back.

But how do I convince my dermatologist? Getting accutane is so difficult to begin with .. even for someone with the acne to warrant it. I don't want to have to end up buying questionable accutane from India because i'm so desperate.

If you are female talk to your doctor about switching birth control pills or starting BCP.

You can also ask about spironolactone.

I'd encourage you to check out nutrition and holistic health for anti-inflammatory diets, supplement suggestions, and even for diets that can help normalize the hormones.

I refuse to take birth control. And i've already tried spironolactone. It didn't work at all. Diet changes never did a thing for me either. When I say i've tried everything, I mean it.

Thanks for trying to help though.

By the way, your first post, last sentence seriously violates the board rules. I suggest you read them.

Im sorry to hear that, I used to use antibiotics myself and after a while they no longer work honestly. I would get a prescription and began to have to up the dosage so much I was done in a week. *it should have lasted at least 1 month at that* Your body will get used to it unfortunately.

I am not currently on birth control but the one I did use that did helped me with acne was Yasmin, it sounds like your hormones are just a little bonkers and mellow out after your period. What do you use for a cleansing ritual, I began to use more natural products like a natural bar soap and aloe vera at night. It is drying but it works for me, I also have really really bad acne. It can be moderate to severe if i'm using something with ingredients in it that do not agree with me. Try just simplifying what you use and taking vitamins, zinc and I found eating flaxseed has helped me somewhat as well. *though not a vitamin*

I really understand your frustration and if you think accutane is honestly best to maintain your sanity then you have to do what's best for you in the long run. If your Dr. doesn't prescribe it can you see another or get a second opinion?

Im sorry to hear that, I used to use antibiotics myself and after a while they no longer work honestly. I would get a prescription and began to have to up the dosage so much I was done in a week. *it should have lasted at least 1 month at that* Your body will get used to it unfortunately.

I am not currently on birth control but the one I did use that did helped me with acne was Yasmin, it sounds like your hormones are just a little bonkers and mellow out after your period. What do you use for a cleansing ritual, I began to use more natural products like a natural bar soap and aloe vera at night. It is drying but it works for me, I also have really really bad acne. It can be moderate to severe if i'm using something with ingredients in it that do not agree with me. Try just simplifying what you use and taking vitamins, zinc and I found eating flaxseed has helped me somewhat as well. *though not a vitamin*

I really understand your frustration and if you think accutane is honestly best to maintain your sanity then you have to do what's best for you in the long run. If your Dr. doesn't prescribe it can you see another or get a second opinion?

Thanks for the help. Yes I could go see another doctor this is true, I just really didn't want to have to go to so many different dermatologists since I don't have insurance currently.

We don't mess with liability. Ours or yours.

How long did you try spiro? More than six months? Retinoids more than six months? What diet changes and supplements did you try? You did not mention which changes you made; the holistic forum has much good information.

You are willing to take Accutane but not birth control? I personally do not understand that as both can have equally nasty side effects. I can take neither due to age and certain other reasons. :)

I just remembered something, don't you have to take BC while on Accutane? I never used accutane but I heard someone state this once because of the dangers it can impose to an unborn fetus.

Did you not want to just try out the BC first before jumping back on Accutane?

Just wondering its still totally up to you but you would have a good argument against your Dr. should he mention wanting to try out BC pills instead of Accutane first.

I tried spiro for a year, as well as retinoids for about the same amount of time. Maybe a little less.

I completely cut out grains, dairy, any kind of processed food. I even limited my fruit intake because of sugar. I was taking cod liver oil, borage oil, zinc .. I can't even remember the rest. I was taking so many supplements every day it was ridiculous. I even started eating coconut oil smeared on bread (It's disgusting) I kept that up for 7 months before I gave up.

I am willing to take accutane and not birth control because I never heard of accutane making someone's acne worse, making someone's acne come back even worse after they stopped taking it, making someone gain excessive amounts of weight, increased their chances of liver, breast, and cervical cancer, or turned them into an overly emotional psychos.

I just remembered something, don't you have to take BC while on Accutane? I never used accutane but I heard someone state this once because of the dangers it can impose to an unborn fetus.

Did you not want to just try out the BC first before jumping back on Accutane?

Just wondering its still totally up to you but you would have a good argument against your Dr. should he mention wanting to try out BC pills instead of Accutane first.

Those are good amounts of time to try retinoids and spiro. And it sounds as if you've tried some (not all!) dietary avenues.

But...Accutane can have those effects and more. Good luck with your search for Accutane, you might perhaps consider another derm if you don't feel you're getting good attention from your current one.

I know accutane is a dangerous drug. Trust me I do. Accutane actually caused me to have rosacea. But still, I know it was the only thing to ever help.

And yeah I know trying different dermatologists would be best if tomorrow doesn't go well. I just wonder how much more money that would be. American health care is crap.

i got my accutane for free at the base. if your mom or dad is in the military you can get free medication. but still dont do accutane, i only took it for a month to realize its not good for the human body. im glad i didnt pay roche a dime. stupid roche.

peace

God you're lucky. I consider accutane to be a miracle. Sure it caused me to have rosacea, which I absolutely hate, but it's done so much good for so many people. It did good for me, as well as bad, but I still want to take it. I want my clear skin back so badly, and to me, it's worth it.

I'm not worried about going back on the accutane because of rosacea. I wouldn't allow the doctor to put me on a doseage higher than 10 mgs. It's actually been proven that low dose accutane is not only effective against acne, but also in the treatment of rosacea.

I'm not worried about going back on the accutane because of rosacea. I wouldn't allow the doctor to put me on a doseage higher than 10 mgs. It's actually been proven that low dose accutane is not only effective against acne, but also in the treatment of rosacea.

That is definitely true and you're also likely to have fewer side effects with a very low dose course. Good for you for researching about the low dose option!

I refuse to take birth control. And i've already tried spironolactone. It didn't work at all. Diet changes never did a thing for me either. When I say i've tried everything, I mean it.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Uh, I hate to tell you, unless you are absolutly going to be abstinent, u have to take birthcontrol here in the U.S with Accutane.

Unless you don't mind having to have an abortion or embropathy baby. Which, would be stupid to risk.

Yeah i'm not lying about being abstinent. Thanks for the heads up though. I took accutane already, and never took birth control while I was on it, and I have never been pregnant for a reason.

Yeah i'm not lying about being abstinent. Thanks for the heads up though. I took accutane already, and never took birth control while I was on it, and I have never been pregnant for a reason.

I read online that the second course has like a really big chance of making acne gone forever if the first course didnt do the job. From what i've read usually they come back is because the dosage you were given was too light for your body weight and all.

thnx for your reply i went to try hookahs yesterday with a friend. I dont normally smoke so i wanted to see what it was since there was no tobacco

http://www.canadashisha.com/herbal-shisha.html check it out

although i didnt really like it i gotta admit it was something to experience. the puffs were really fruity tho..

Good news everyone!

I got accutane! woooo now hopefully i'll actually start taking it within in a few months .. who knows, fucking Ipledge.

Good news everyone!

I got accutane! woooo now hopefully i'll actually start taking it within in a few months .. who knows, fucking Ipledge.

Good news indeed.........for the first year or so.

Good news everyone!

Good luck with your course! I've had great success with low-dose Accutane, and no side effects at all other than slightly dry lips.

Hope you are doing well. :)