Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I'm PMS'ing really bad right now and recovering from a recent flare, trying not to do anything to induce another breakout.

But at this point I think my will for chocolate or sugar is stronger than my fear of getting a new zit.

I have a lot of leftover easter chocolate and some of those spearmint leaf shaped things that are like 100% sugar. Haahaha

How do any of you ladies fight the PMS cravings or do you just give in a couple days out of the month?

When it's that time of the month, there is nothing that can keep me away from chocolate. My boyfriend goes out and gets me a bag of Dove Promises, and I just go to town. Chocolate keeps me sane when I'm hormonal.

I hardly ever crave sweets. If I crave, it is something sour or bitter or creamy like pickles or olives or brie cheese. :D Green olives with pimento! :drool:

I'll move this to nutrition and holistic health as it does seem to fit much better there.

there is no proof that says chocolate causes acne.. go ahead and indulge. :)

Erm, it depends what kind of chocolate.

100% cocoa powder - sure it's healthy.

Milk chocolate is bad, mainly due to dairy.

the fact they are healthy or unhealthy doesnt mean they cause acne, sure they may cause you diabetes if you eat them like crazy but there's no scientific proof that some food causes acne....

When I crave sweet foods I try everything good for you first, if I don't punk out before I find it LOL.

I'll grab a banana, an apple some green tea..normally i'm good at this point.

Now if you are talking about a reese's peanut butter cup or a snickers bar, its over, i'm demolishing it. :boohoo:

I'll think about the possibility of acne after I'm done LOL

I have bad cravings for chocolate round that time of month too but my fear of getting a zit is MORE WAY MORE then my craving i think of it this way a moment on the lips HELL ON YOUR FACE plus i am in high school so theres my motivation right there to eat healthy")

the fact they are healthy or unhealthy doesnt mean they cause acne, sure they may cause you diabetes if you eat them like crazy but there's no scientific proof that some food causes acne....

Check out the links to scientific studies in nutrition and holistic health. :)

I've eaten up all the pickles, AND olives AND brie cheese so I'll have to settle for chocolate right now.

I just say no. My cravings pale in comparison with the possible conclusion that I'm a slave to my basic instincts. The idea pisses me off so much, I would never be that stereotypical PMSy woman. I will not use PMS as a be a bitch free card, nor as a pig out free card.

This PMS week I started my elimination diet. Try no chocolate, no sweets, no dairy, no bread AND no junk whatsoever.

Eat pickles! Or sauerkraut. (another of my cravings....)

If you eliminate everything all at once, how will you know what has triggered your breakout if and when one happens, or will you slowly add in each food and see what happens?

Check out the links to scientific studies in nutrition and holistic health. :)

I've eaten up all the pickles, AND olives AND brie cheese so I'll have to settle for chocolate right now.

So is it ok to eat pickles and olives? Becuz they are also my weakness MORE then chocolate")

DANG!

now im craving olives :drool:

Well...for ME it is. :) I don't know if they'd be problematic for you. Depends on the preservatives (if any) also.

I am NOT pleased; chocolate was ineffective. I want olives! :lol:

No... it's a fact that some food, especially sugar, can cause acne.

If you eliminate everything all at once, how will you know what has triggered your breakout if and when one happens, or will you slowly add in each food and see what happens?

Yup. See if eliminating everything helps - if it doesn't, then it's definitely not a food allergy. If it does help, start adding one thing at a time, for 2-3 weeks, to see if it worsens. I wish I could afford a 500$ allergy test but I can't.

Ok. :) Good luck with your elimination diet, I hope you're able to determine your specific triggers!

When it's that time of the month, there is nothing that can keep me away from chocolate. My boyfriend goes out and gets me a bag of Dove Promises, and I just go to town. Chocolate keeps me sane when I'm hormonal.

Yeah me too but unfornately Im like this all month long

Well...for ME it is. :) I don't know if they'd be problematic for you. Depends on the preservatives (if any) also.

I am NOT pleased; chocolate was ineffective. I want olives! :lol:

LOL")

Im just like you if i cant get olives i have to lick salt off my hand I BECOME FCKN CRAZY for olives it sucks ecspecially when you dont have them"(

Oh, I could never eat pickles, olives, or sauerkraut! I have major texture problems with all 3 and I don't like vinegar'ed things :)

For me it's all about comfort foods and sweets that time of the month. I applaud those who are strong willed enough to stave off the cravings...Mine are just too strong so I cave. I don't really eat sweets at any other time of the month though, just those couple days.

Improving your diet can reduce PMS symptoms, which could reduce your cravings in the first place. There've been studies on PCOS sufferers showing this. And lots of testimonial here.

Improving your diet can reduce PMS symptoms, which could reduce your cravings in the first place. There've been studies on PCOS sufferers showing this. And lots of testimonial here.

Well my diet is actually what I'd consider to be extremely healthy. I am a simple meat and potatoes eater and I mix in a lot of good omega 3's that I get from sushi, avacado, olive oil, etc. I only eat whole wheat / whole grains no processed or chemically enhanced starches with the exception of pasta. I can't eat whole wheat pasta.

Instead of refined sugars like in my coffee I use Splenda and I never drink soda or high sugar juices, I only drink water.

I never eat frozen or canned foods that are high in sodium and I'm very careful with my salt intake.

I make most of my food so I can control all the ingredients that I put into my body and I only cook with olive oil or canola oil never butter or vegetable oil. So, I don't feel that my diet is in anyway in need of control or changing. The only think I could maybe do differently is to add in more fresh fruits and veggies, but I have to be careful with that as I suffer from IBS (genetic condition) and those things can cause flares for me.

The only time I splurge is 2 or 3 days out of the month when I will give in to my hormonal cravings and have a couple pieces of chocolate. I'm not at all concerned from a dietary standpoint, only that the occasional sugar could lead to acne flares.

Well my diet is actually what I'd consider to be extremely healthy. I am a simple meat and potatoes eater and I mix in a lot of good omega 3's that I get from sushi, avacado, olive oil, etc. I only eat whole wheat / whole grains no processed or chemically enhanced starches with the exception of pasta. I can't eat whole wheat pasta.

Well, the PCOS study was a low GI and low fat diet that showed improvement. I don't have any further details. But most of the personal testimonies I've seen here were from vegetarians and most often people who follow a mostly raw diet. Adding the veggies might make the difference. And the sulfur compounds from plants like greens and brassicas are particularly helpful.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've always eaten a primarily plant-based diet as I do not care for meat and never had much in the way of PMS issues. And since I started avoiding processed foods in favor of more nutrient dense food, its been nonexistent.

No... it's a fact that some food, especially sugar, can cause acne.

In some people. It depends if you have food allergies. No everyone who has acne has food allergies.

Well, the PCOS study was a low GI and low fat diet that showed improvement. I don't have any further details. But most of the personal testimonies I've seen here were from vegetarians and most often people who follow a mostly raw diet. Adding the veggies might make the difference. And the sulfur compounds from plants like greens and brassicas are particularly helpful.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've always eaten a primarily plant-based diet as I do not care for meat and never had much in the way of PMS issues. And since I started avoiding processed foods in favor of more nutrient dense food, its been nonexistent.

Well that is awesome for people whose digestive systems can tolerate a large intake of raw foods. As for me, too much raw fiber gives me hemorrhoids and I can tell you from a lot of personal experience that suffering with hemorrhoids is 10x worse than dealing with PMS and acne combined.

I will stick to me bland diet with the occasional PMS treat, thank you v. much.

Since i learned to eat a very low carb diet I dont get sugar cravings anymore... I have my whole life. Bad too.... like my mom would hide the candy from me for fear of turning me into a witch LOL.

not not funny though actually. I am ugly that way. I cannot eat sugar, if i do...i immediately regret that decision. The more sugar you eat the more you crave...usually people who have a sugar addiction have low levels of the brain chemical serotonin. Taking all forms of sugar and sugar sweeteners out of my diet completely took my sweet tooth away, helped my depression, and gave me energy. It's weird to be able to look at candy and cake without salivating over it... anyway thats how i deal with it.