Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
absolution

Went from cysts and nodules to pustules

Hey everyone.

So I finished Accutane about 10 months ago and am about to take another course because my acne has returned. I was thinking that my acne has returned just as bad, but now I think I may be wrong. Before Accutane, I had cysts and nodules, and though they were small, they were plentiful! Now, I have a lot of pustules, but isnt this better than cysts/nodules? Have I really made an improvement?

Thanks for any input

anyone?

you should do a low dose, but pustule can be controlled with topical creams i recommend

benzaclin or clindoxyl they worked for me =D

im clear but just battling these red marks!

Pustules are a significant improvement from cysts and nodules. I'd really recommend considering something like a topical retinoid before you go back on Accutane.

Make sure you're continuing to use a gentle cleanser and warm (not hot) water.

Thanks for the responses and concern!

Since my acne came back, Ive tried BC pills, Spironolactone, Doxycycline, and Differin. The first two hormonal treatments were effective for only the acne on my chin and jawline. The Doxy was pretty effective, but I am not willing to stay on antibiotics long. And the Differin did not do much of anything for me. :wall:

I would be more willing to try other topicals, but the pustules are coverriinnnggg my cheeks, which are completely tainted with red marks, and there is hardly any fair skin left. They are also itchy, slightly painful, and appear in clusters. Two derms have recommended another round of Accutane for me.

Im very hopeful now though, because if my acne did improve after round one, maybe it will be cured or manageable after round two!

anyone?

you should do a low dose, but pustule can be controlled with topical creams i recommend

Thanks for the responses and concern!

Since my acne came back, Ive tried BC pills, Spironolactone, Doxycycline, and Differin. The first two hormonal treatments were effective for only the acne on my chin and jawline. The Doxy was pretty effective, but I am not willing to stay on antibiotics long. And the Differin did not do much of anything for me. :wall:

I would be more willing to try other topicals, but the pustules are coverriinnnggg my cheeks, which are completely tainted with red marks, and there is hardly any fair skin left. They are also itchy, slightly painful, and appear in clusters. Two derms have recommended another round of Accutane for me.

Im very hopeful now though, because if my acne did improve after round one, maybe it will be cured or manageable after round two!

anyone?

I was prescribed clindoxyl recently, along with my Spironolactone prescription. I never filled it because I didnt want to start too many things at once. What is it exactly?

its a mixture of bp 5% and clindoxyl 1% you apply it at night to the whole area not just to the pimple(s) itself ... i had clusters all over my cheeks and in about 1 week or 2 i was completely clear !

Itchy? That's not typical acne behavior. Please consider a trial of washing with Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo one night and the next with Head and Shoulders OR Nizoral. Just wash as normal, let the foam sit for a bit on the skin (a minute or two) and then rinse normally.

Each of those dandruff shampoos has a different active ingredient but all are helpful with fungal or bacterial infections that mimic acne but aren't acne. You might have to try each one to see which one works the best. You might need to start out by washing with one once a day, then every other day as you clear, then perhaps every third day.

Dermadoctor also has a recommended and helpful product (LionQueen uses it, it was recommended by Ariventa). DermaDoctor "Born to be Mild" medicated cleanser.

Wow, Ive never heard of using shampoo for something like this! It wont break me out? Also, how do you think I could have gotten a fungal or bacterial infection?

I will definitely look into this... If I have a simple infection and thats all, I will be forever grateful to you! :D

Using any type of antibiotic can cause the other bacteria on your skin to die; that stops them from keeping things like fungi and other bacteria that lives naturally on your skin in check. Thus you break out with itchy spots that look like acne but aren't. They're a form of folliculitis. Folliculitis can be bacterial or fungal; that's why different DANDRUFF shampoos might work, one better than another. Nizoral works on fungus, Selsun Blue can help with fungal but it's better at bacterial folliculitis, and Head and Shoulders works better for bacterial folliculitis.

Dandruff shampoos, not regular ones. :)

I would just like to make an update on this dandruff shampoo regimen:

I tried using Selsun Blue and Head&Shoulders and I have to say that the Selsun Blue is working out for me. My acne is still showing up but its managable with the Doxy. The Selsun Blue has been great with my overall itchiness and also these little red, flat, itchy dots I used to get. I think it's also made an incredible difference in the blackheads on my nose! Nothing else has ever worked on those guys.

So, THANKS WYNNE! :dance: