Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
winter09

Retin A Micro vs Tretionoin

The Derm gave my son samples of Retin A Micro 0.1% because I told her my insurance will only pay for the genric brand Tretinoin Cream 0.05%, she told me to start off with the Micro because it would be alot less irritating,then switch to the cream,

My questions is after he finishes the samples should he switch over to the Tretinoin cream or would it be better to stick with the Micro and just pay for it?

My doc gave me a sample of the RetinA Micro also but my insurance would only cover the generic tretinoin. So I started off with the tretinoin cream because this is what I would be using for the mojority of the time anyway. Everything was fine. Then I decided to give the sample a try and see if I would get better results. Big mistake! The next day my skin hurt like hell and was really red. I think I even got a few more pimples. I think the retin A micro is more irritating to the skin. That is just what happened in my experience though.

Make sure the generic tretinoin is the gel, not the cream. The actual Retin A cream has a comedogenic ingredient in it, I'm not sure if the generic creams do or not. The gel Retin A does not have that ingredient, I do not know about generic gels. I suppose it would depend on the manufacturer. :)

Retin A micro is supposed to be less irritating and one does not have to wait after washing to apply it. The consumer should wait after cleansing (at least 20 minutes) before applying regular tretinoin cream/gel.

i have used the tretinoin gel for years. I tried the cream- way too oily for me. But i have oily skin to begin with. I'm not sure if the cream would have broken me out but I know it caused an oil slick on my face. The thing that sucks about the tretinoin gel is that it only goes up to .05% while the cream goes up to .1%.

My doc gave me a sample of the RetinA Micro also but my insurance would only cover the generic tretinoin. So I started off with the tretinoin cream because this is what I would be using for the mojority of the time anyway. Everything was fine. Then I decided to give the sample a try and see if I would get better results. Big mistake! The next day my skin hurt like hell and was really red. I think I even got a few more pimples. I think the retin A micro is more irritating to the skin. That is just what happened in my experience though.

Yeah that seems to be a common occurence where people go from the supposedly more irritating cream to the micro, and their faces start breaking out and peeling like crazy. Even when after using a higher strength cream for a long period of time and going to a lower strength micro. Doesnt make sense :think:

The generic Tretinoin the insurance pays for is the cream 0.05%, My son has been using the micro for about 9 weeks now, he really didnt get much peeling or reddness from the Micro 0.1%, Im not really sure what to do when the Micro samples finish, I had no idea that there was a difference between the gel and cream version.

...Retin A micro is supposed to be less irritating and one does not have to wait after washing to apply it. The consumer should wait after cleansing (at least 20 minutes) before applying regular tretinoin cream/gel.