Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siava

Curiosity about IBS

I haven't researched any of this yet because I just had a quick thought (I will research in a bit though when I have more time). In most cases, acne patients that are presribed Accutane have already done rounds of antibiotics. I know that antibiotics can disrupt gut flora. There are some hard core Accutane researchers on this board. Do you know if there is any correlation: antibiotics -> Accutane -> IBS? Has this even been questioned? Is Accutane solely responsible for potentially developing IBS or do antibiotics play a role as well?

As a disclaimer, I am not trying to point a finger at one single drug or another. I'm really curious about this. Thanks.

Speaking from experience I have to agree that antibiotics can mess up your gut over time. I've been on a few of the cyclines and accutane for a few years and had no stomach problems until about 5 months ago when I started to get bad IBS symptoms. And now whenever I take any antibiotic for acne my IBS symptoms come, but when I don't take the antibiotics, I don't have symptoms. So for me It's like I have to choose between gut pain or acne =p

I haven't researched any of this yet because I just had a quick thought (I will research in a bit thought when I have more time). In most cases, acne patients that are presribed Accutane have already done rounds of antibiotics. I know that antibiotics can disrupt gut flora. There are some hard core Accutane researchers on this board. Do you know if there is any correlation: antibiotics -> Accutane -> IBS? Has this even been questioned? Is Accutane solely responsible for potentially developing IBS or do antibiotics play a role as well?

As a disclaimer, I am not trying to point a finger at one single drug or another. I'm really curious about this. Thanks.

You know Siava that is a good point. For me I never really was put on antibotics for my cysts except when the one cyst burst and got infected. I was only on 10 days though. Then after three 10 day doses of zpak in a three year period I was put on accutane.

However, I would imagine for some that have been on antibotics off and on for years and developed IBS or other stomach realted issues and then going to Accutane which is known to cause stomach problems one may get IBS again, that may not go away. Though accutane can cause more then IBS.

I just looked up in one of my husbands med books USMLE- It states for IBS that it usually presents at a teen to 20 yr old range,but at any age. Half of the patients w/this disorder who seek medical care have comorbid psychiatric disroders. (depression and anxiety) States pts need assurance from thier physicans. Do not tell pts that their symptoms are "all in their head" tx-usually dietary fiber,antidiarrheal and antispasmodic and physchiatric meds.

Accutane is known to cause anxiety and depression.....intersting.

Also Accutane is known to cause more dangerous gastro problems. I would have to look at some of thoose studies vs studies on antibotics to see if there is a correlation or diffrence.

I am sure some of the others that have delt w/ serious sides w/ stomach may have some of thoose studies on hand. If I find anything I will post the link.

good question now u got me thinking...... :D

I don't know about the antibiotics, but I do know, Accutane has been directly linked to being the sole cause for IBS/IBD, Chron's, ulcerative colitis, and more in some individuals. Some legal cases have already won for Accutane-induced IBD, thousands more are pending, and a national class action lawsuit coming out of Canada and USA is starting, mainly for the drug's manufacturer's failure to warn patients that it can cause IBD.

The best document to read about it would be :

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewi...ticleid/2817847

I don't know about the antibiotics, but I do know, Accutane has been directly linked to being the sole cause for IBS/IBD, Chron's, ulcerative colitis, and more in some individuals. Some legal cases have already won for Accutane-induced IBD, thousands more are pending, and a national class action lawsuit coming out of Canada and USA is starting, mainly for the drug's manufacturer's failure to warn patients that it can cause IBD.

The best document to read about it would be :

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewi...ticleid/2817847

Jimiri is correct on above, and though there is no Medical evidence that IBS will Lead to IBD or Chron's, there have been interesting new observations that suggest that some factors causing IBS and IBD are similar, involving the intestinal immune system and bacteria withthin the intestine. They share similar manifestions. (taken from husbands general surgery book, he operates on intestinal issues also)

I too would have to look at studies regarding certian antibotics compared to accutane too see if one would be more prone to serious gastro issues after years of antibotics and then going on accutane.

However, we do know that accutane does cause serious intestional problems such as Jimiri mentioned above.

My aunt has IBS and she had never taken accutane in her life before. However she told me that she started having IBS after a bout of antibiotics she had taken to treat a urinary tract infection, I think its a staph infection.

I thought I just came in to add my $0.02 cos this is not my forte and I didn't research either :redface: but since IBS is also caused by low gut flora, it is possible that before a person decides to take accutane, he is already predisposed to IBS and accutane just sort of aggrevates the condition. Its always easy to pinpoint the culprit to the last drug you have taken but in truth, its actually caused by a string of events. Kinda what you are thinking as well. That is probably why the hospitals or doctors look at medical histories.

My aunt has IBS and she had never taken accutane in her life before. However she told me that she started having IBS after a bout of antibiotics she had taken to treat a urinary tract infection, I think its a staph infection.

I thought I just came in to add my $0.02 cos this is not my forte and I didn't research either :redface: but since IBS is also caused by low gut flora, it is possible that before a person decides to take accutane, he is already predisposed to IBS and accutane just sort of aggrevates the condition. Its always easy to pinpoint the culprit to the last drug you have taken but in truth, its actually caused by a string of events. Kinda what you are thinking as well. That is probably why the hospitals or doctors look at medical histories.

Which could be a correlation, which then if one develped IBS on antibotics they would be crazy to take accutane which could aggrevate it worse.

However Roche does state in thier online document that people w/out hx of intestinal problems or gastro problems have experinced problems.

"String of events". That's the term that was on the tip of my tongue. Thank you, Maddy.

Oli girl, I'm not doubting that in some folks that have never taken antibiotics, Accutane can cause IBS. I've no doubt the potential of this drug. It's potent stuff. Most often than not though, dermatologists send us through an antibiotic regimen. There are exceptions, of course, but this is the usual. That's why I'm so curious. I'm wondering if there has been or could be a study done based upon the severity of acne and maybe an off-based theory.

For starters, if the acne is cystic, could antibiotics be skipped? If they could be, could IBS and potential other side effects be thwarted if given Accutane from the get-go? I'm not talking about mild acne or oily skin. I'm talking about severe cystic acne. Could that prevent some harsh side effects? Since antibiotics kill off useful bacteria that leaves the body prone to other responses that aren't quite normal, if that step was excluded, could that make a difference in Accutane therapy?

Like I said, I'm not trying to finger point. I just sense a pattern and it disturbs me.

thats the only way to get money from Roche these days. if you are diagnosed with IBS. We signed waivers for every other side effect. there are thousands of lawsuits for IBS ongoing.

peace

"String of events". That's the term that was on the tip of my tongue. Thank you, Maddy.

Oli girl, I'm not doubting that in some folks that have never taken antibiotics, Accutane can cause IBS. I've no doubt the potential of this drug. It's potent stuff. Most often than not though, dermatologists send us through an antibiotic regimen. There are exceptions, of course, but this is the usual. That's why I'm so curious. I'm wondering if there has been or could be a study done based upon the severity of acne and maybe an off-based theory.

For starters, if the acne is cystic, could antibiotics be skipped? If they could be, could IBS and potential other side effects be thwarted if give Accutane from the get-go? I'm not talking about mild acne or oily skin. I'm talking about severe cystic acne. Could that prevent some harsh side effects? Since antibiotics kill off useful bacteria that leaves the body prone to other responses that aren't quite normal, if that step was excluded, could that make a difference in Accutane therapy?

Like I said, I'm not trying to finger point. I just sense a pattern and it disturbs me.

Oh no I don't doubt that at all what ur saying. I have tried looking up journals for accutane, Vit A, Retinic acid and relation to IBS and all that comes up is IBD,Chrons etc.....

So, I only gave my theroy with IBS and anxiety and depression which accutane can cause. (don't bite my head people, I am not saying that IBS is strictly caused by mental issues, I am only qouting what's in the med books.)

But, If I do run across studies regarding antibotic use and accutane in relation to IBS I will post the links or information.

Though this is off subject, believe it or not some acne patients such as Acne Congoblata and some with severe cystic acne are prone to Rhuem problems. It's stated in the Rheum medical books.

I will suggest people who are on either Antibiotic or Accutane to drink two bottles of Yakuruto daily. It contains Lactobacillus casei which maintenance gut flora, modulation of the immune system, regulation of bowel habits and constipation and finally effects on some gastrointestinal infections.

Siava, I think you may have a Candida overgrowth problem. The story you mentioned is very similar to mine.

While I never was on Accutane, I was on Minocin (Minocycline) for 9 years for my cystic acne. I went off of it and over the course of about 4 months I developed a systemic candida problem. The symptoms are often unnoticed because its nothing spectacular on its own. IBS and IBS like symptoms are a first indicators. Also redness and sensitivity in the skin, blurry vision, hair growth slows/stops, you crave food and then get sick after 3 bites, depression, mood swings, muscle aches, etc.

This was actually behind me loosing about 1/3 of my hair. My scalp got crispy and my face always looked sunburnt. I thought it was the retinol, now I know. There is some good info on Candida Overgrowth but most traditonal dotors won't believe you have it. :rolleyes: