Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
monogato

Sick and clear for a week

I started suffering from mild fever and cold a week ago and I haven't had a single breakout since. Have you ever had this kind of experience? Is it the medicine I'm taking?

Yep, almost every time I get a cold or flu my skin clears up for the duration. I've sometimes thought it's a combination of the fact that I drink soooo much liquids and sleep so much while I'm sick and the cold medicine. I usually take tylenol cold- the liquid stuff.

Maybe you're eating very little (I know, when I have a fever, I'll eat forcefully beause I'm not hungry at all) and somehow you stopped eating some stuff that's triggering break-outs.

Maybe your immune system is sluggish, and now that it has a threat it's on high mode, and it's coincidentally doing his job with the acne as well? Perhaps up your immune system building foods a bit?

Are you taking antibiotics? Because if you are, some have effects on the acne causing bacteria as well.

I haven't had a fever/cold in a couple of years, and acne started a year ago, so I have no idea if it's true in my case as well.

When I had tonsillitis last month my skin was crazy clear. I think it was, as laindenver said, because i drank so much water and literally slept all day. In my case it wouldn't have been because of meds, because the only ones I was given my mum wasn't happy for me to take. So, I think for me it would have been because of rest, as I drink a lot of water anyway.

I noticed that during a recent very stressful time in my life, during which i could barely eat for a week or so, that I had no breakouts--------skin was great. In theory, stress shoulda caused me to break out, but it didn't-----another poster replied that you probably weren't eating much when you were sick, do you think that was the case?

Is one's immune system compromised during acute stress as it is during illness? Would that too work like cortisone, as another poster just stated?

I wonder...

This happens to me when the Dr. prescribes antibiotics if I'm sick, I always am clear for that week and a couple glorious weeks afterwards.

That's interesting. I haven't been sick in a really long time so I can't comment on whether or not that has happened to me. But I do have something to say in concerns to you suddenly not breaking out.

Before you got sick, did you wash your face regularly (with a drugstore face wash/cleanser/scrub/etc)? If so, when you were sick, did you kind of stop doing that?

Yes it happens to me too. I think its because the immune system is too busy to bother sending white blood cells into the infected pores and start the inflammatory process (which is the redness, swelling, and pus).

When you've got the flu, your body's got bigger fish to fry.

I remember when I was at the hospital after some surgery, I was given intravenous fluids (which I think contained antibiotics too) and I didn't eat for a few days. My skin was sooo nice and felt so normal (no oil at all). Not sure which of these worked most.

Btw, I've been bingeing on chocolate lately and I've had such a bad breakout! Always happens when I eat chocolate. Ugh!

I think it's because when you're sick, your body goes into automatic fast mode by shutting down your appetite in order to flush crap out from your body, and you drink a lot of water. We know that fasting is good for acne, so that's probably why.

:)

I was sick in January and cleared up in a week. Once the flu went away. I had three new pimples. Now I look forward to getting sick.