Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mangos21

acne/hair loss link

having had acne, oily skin, and oily hair for so long, i've been doing research over the past while into how to get rid of it. my acne isn't so bad anymore, but the oily skin and oily hair piss me off lol. i've also noticed that my hair has thinned quite a bit...there is no occurence of this on either side of my family at such a young age. my theory is that my androgens are whack, too much testosterone converted to DHT...the cause for both the oily skin and the hair thinning. i found this website that is pretty useful. it has a lot of information that we already know, but is organized in a convenient way so i figured i would post it for everyone to benefit. the link below is to an "anti inflammatory diet" which lists a bunch of things people should include in what they eat.

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/articles/hn23.htm

i guess their are only two things that control physiology, diet and the mind, thats where all environmental information is percieved and has an influence besides genetics, which we now see are also somewhat variables to either the mind or diet.

diet is the simple one, the mind is absolutly complex in how it can affect the way our body functions, with subjective mood states that are so personal no one will understand but you. What makes you anxious and why, what makes you angry and why, loneliness depression, all physiological changes that are many times how people percieve their environment. Its crazy how the perception of a concept can immediatly have effects on the body such as the phenomena of crying. but what about chronic stress or chronic mood states and long term psychological disturbances that are ignored and left unchecked? how do these things affect the body, constant thoughts about acne and anticipation of the negative social effects of it, perhaps open the doors to more stress and disease by raising cortisol which in turn lowers nightime melatonin levels and immune function, further encouraging errors in the genetic code and speeding up the aging process.

I still wonder if thinking about acne is even worth it anymore considering the two main factors of the mind and diet are the focal points of all physiological changes. When i started to relax more in spite of my acne, my acne improved a bit. At this time i wonder about the health effects of the perception of concepts and beneficial personal facts that relate to our own existence such as social rank, idealistic tendancys, personality and self/emotional regulation or the tendancy for us to unknowly or habitually cause our own stress levels which lowers our defenses against disease.

These are the more unseen variables that are often ignored by science because they are hard to measure, but i see them in friends of mine and cannot ignore these personality characteristics as just mere correlation, of course many parts of my personality has been molded by acne, but is it possible the acne itself has been molded by my personality?? not in any specific way but in very general complex and not so obvious ways that may not be clear for perhaps another 20-30 years as science snails forward to find every precise connection. A combination of personality and genetic susceptability as well??

Yes, the same diets can help all kinds of hormone related issues: acne, PMS, enlarged prostrate, MPB, menopause, sexual disfunction, etc.

However, there are different enzymes that convert DHT in oil follicles vs hair follicles. Some people can have an excess of one type of enzyme and not the other.

i guess their are only two things that control physiology, diet and the mind, thats where all environmental information is percieved and has an influence besides genetics, which we now see are also somewhat variables to either the mind or diet.

diet is the simple one, the mind is absolutly complex in how it can affect the way our body functions, with subjective mood states that are so personal no one will understand but you. What makes you anxious and why, what makes you angry and why, loneliness depression, all physiological changes that are many times how people percieve their environment. Its crazy how the perception of a concept can immediatly have effects on the body such as the phenomena of crying. but what about chronic stress or chronic mood states and long term psychological disturbances that are ignored and left unchecked? how do these things affect the body, constant thoughts about acne and anticipation of the negative social effects of it, perhaps open the doors to more stress and disease by raising cortisol which in turn lowers nightime melatonin levels and immune function, further encouraging errors in the genetic code and speeding up the aging process.

I still wonder if thinking about acne is even worth it anymore considering the two main factors of the mind and diet are the focal points of all physiological changes. When i started to relax more in spite of my acne, my acne improved a bit. At this time i wonder about the health effects of the perception of concepts and beneficial personal facts that relate to our own existence such as social rank, idealistic tendancys, personality and self/emotional regulation or the tendancy for us to unknowly or habitually cause our own stress levels which lowers our defenses against disease.

These are the more unseen variables that are often ignored by science because they are hard to measure, but i see them in friends of mine and cannot ignore these personality characteristics as just mere correlation, of course many parts of my personality has been molded by acne, but is it possible the acne itself has been molded by my personality?? not in any specific way but in very general complex and not so obvious ways that may not be clear for perhaps another 20-30 years as science snails forward to find every precise connection. A combination of personality and genetic susceptability as well??

Well, this is so much like the way I perceive acne causality. I have in fact found that by staying away from the mirror and taking out time to meditate has show promise in helping to improve the condition. My belief is that, depending on the type of acne, severity, and gene code triggers, the effective treatment involves a combination of the proper amount of each form of therapy. You have to consider what works on your skin and what emotional environments need to be addressed and controlled. Hitting acne from all angles every day basically for the most part of your life seems logical as the true answer for acne control. It can be different for everyone, and very much dependent on that individual's triggers, and the type of reaction their skin is pre-programed to have. Example: one person may get more inflammatory reactions than another.

So, it can be a long road to discovering the right combination. I am willing to bet that a half hour of meditation a day, maybe some yoga, keeping your mind off the acne as much as possible, staying away from foods you THINK trigger acne, and finally, avoiding circumstances that cause your emotions to flare, specifically, your negative emotions, will help you to find your place on the right path to success...

Well, this is so much like the way I perceive acne causality. I have in fact found that by staying away from the mirror and taking out time to meditate has show promise in helping to improve the condition. My belief is that, depending on the type of acne, severity, and gene code triggers, the effective treatment involves a combination of the proper amount of each form of therapy. You have to consider what works on your skin and what emotional environments need to be addressed and controlled. Hitting acne from all angles every day basically for the most part of your life seems logical as the true answer for acne control. It can be different for everyone, and very much dependent on that individual's triggers, and the type of reaction their skin is pre-programed to have. Example: one person may get more inflammatory reactions than another.

So, it can be a long road to discovering the right combination. I am willing to bet that a half hour of meditation a day, maybe some yoga, keeping your mind off the acne as much as possible, staying away from foods you THINK trigger acne, and finally, avoiding circumstances that cause your emotions to flare, specifically, your negative emotions, will help you to find your place on the right path to success...

it may come down to the general health of the human organism, the most powerful anitioxidant is melatonin, cortisol supresses melatonin as does excessive light. I suspect most mood changes or acute emotions to be how our brains percieve how we are interacting with our environment, which then will release cortisol if there is some tension, if there is too much tension and we are not doing well in the environments we are in and for whatever logical reason ignore our true emotional states, our cortisol will stay raised and melatonin and deepest possible sleep does not occur, this is where any genetic weaknesses will eventually be uncovered , or in combination with dietary risk factors such as smoking can then lead to cancer or sickness as all of our best defenses have been weakened, any oxidants are now in place to mess with the integrity of our genetic code.

Its no surprise some of the most stressful events in our lives are due to social factors, this means we have a very strong biological need as much as food or water to relate and feel safe and connected and get along with other people, the need to feel connected and fit in must be satisfied, i dont think its very optional.

Ive read some theories on acne written by totally legit scientists that hypothesize chronic psychosocial stress to be a major contributer to acne development, from my observations i would have to strongly agree. it aint vitamins and diet only makes a dent, there is something else that we require that people arent acknowledging, our minds control a rediculous amount of our biology. Simply knowing that cortisol depresses melatonin is pretty much proof of concept.

Its no surprise some of the most stressful events in our lives are due to social factors, this means we have a very strong biological need as muc as food or water to relate and feel safe and connected and get along with other people, the need to feel connected and fit in must be satisfied, i dont think its very optional.

The social factor stress is very difficult to adress for some people. For instance, what if you just can't find a group of people that best fit who you are. I don't smoke, drink, party or do any drugs. This eliminates 90% of the population in reality. So no amount of meditation will help me get over it. If your saying that we have a very strong bioogical need to connect. I do agree with you though on this. Just in reality for some people its very hard to attain or sometimes impossible.

Its no surprise some of the most stressful events in our lives are due to social factors, this means we have a very strong biological need as muc as food or water to relate and feel safe and connected and get along with other people, the need to feel connected and fit in must be satisfied, i dont think its very optional.

The social factor stress is very difficult to adress for some people. For instance, what if you just can't find a group of people that best fit who you are. I don't smoke, drink, party or do any drugs. This eliminates 90% of the population in reality. So no amount of meditation will help me get over it. If your saying that we have a very strong bioogical need to connect. I do agree with you though on this. Just in reality for some people its very hard to attain or sometimes impossible.

OH, you got my attention now... Ok...

All of what both the last posts have brought up about the social stress and acne I most definitely agree with. As a matter of fact, I have long believed that this social stress is one of the reasons acne would never subside entirely.. As an example: I have had times where I noted being out in a crowed often caused my acne to worsen. Never made it better... Always, I would feel uncomfortable because of my skin; if not the active acne, the scars... So there would be a high level of self consciousness that would seem to act on me with absolutely no control.

Time and time again I have noted this same order of cause and effect. If there is a way to control this level a cortisol, it would be imperative to the make it available for the long term or severe sufferer. Cortisol has long been known as the stress hormone. Some articles have referred to it as the bell-fat hormone because it can increase the storage of fat around the mid section.

Why no control? because the people would not take much interest; generally, none at all... A large room filled with all these people, yet very little socializing. Often taking note of look-aways and backs to you... Just what your already damage self-esteem needs. No one would understand.

Not to mention this social discomfort goes all the way home with you and stairs you in the face when you get there.....

All this that I mentioned can only help if you can address that social stress trigger issue... Which I failed to point out. Because I have also noted that if I start thinking of an episode that could have happened a long while ago. however, it really bothered me, and I start thinking old angry thoughts, I get tightness in my jaw, etc., and that almost always makes my acne worse.... I can bet on it...

As far as meditation... and even exercise, over time, can improve your ability to focus your mind. Namely on other things. To, also, take your mind away from these thoughts... i have heard of meditation retreats, where you can spend a week or longer without interacting with anyone socially. You are not aloud. But you spend many hours per day meditating. It is an awesome experience I am told. There is a great deal of benefit to meditation. I want to start doing it more often. It isn't easy to stay awake at first , but over time you begin to sink deep into a relaxed state, where the thoughts are now serene and also malleable to the owner---however, that may lead to a way to control some of the static around you later in a social event...

All of what both the last posts have brought up about the social stress and acne I most definitely agree with. As a matter of fact, I have long believed that this social stress is one of the reasons acne would never subside entirely.. As an example: I have had times where I noted being out in a crowed often caused my acne to worsen. Never made it better... Always, I would feel uncomfortable because of my skin; if not the active acne, the scars... So there would be a high level of self consciousness that would seem to act on me with absolutely no control.

Time and time again I have noted this same order of cause and effect. If there is a way to control this level a cortisol, it would be imperative to the make it available for the long term or severe sufferer. Cortisol has long been known as the stress hormone. Some articles have referred to it as the bell-fat hormone because it can increase the storage of fat around the mid section.

Why no control? because the people would not take much interest; generally, none at all... A large room filled with all these people, yet very little socializing. Often taking note of look-aways and backs to you... Just what your already damage self-esteem needs. No one would understand.

Not to mention this social discomfort goes all the way home with you and stairs you in the face when you get there.....

All this that I mentioned can only help if you can address that social stress trigger issue... Which I failed to point out. Because I have also noted that if I start thinking of an episode that could have happened a long while ago. however, it really bothered me, and I start thinking old angry thoughts, I get tightness in my jaw, etc., and that almost always makes my acne worse.... I can bet on it...

As far as meditation... and even exercise, over time, can improve your ability to focus your mind. Namely on other things. To, also, take your mind away from these thoughts... i have heard of meditation retreats, where you can spend a week or longer without interacting with anyone socially. You are not aloud. But you spend many hours per day meditating. It is an awesome experience I am told. There is a great deal of benefit to meditation. I want to start doing it more often. It isn't easy to stay awake at first , but over time you begin to sink deep into a relaxed state, where the thoughts are now serene and also malleable to the owner---however, that may lead to a way to control some of the static around you later in a social event...

There are many times in social settings or in convrsations with aquiantences that I trully don't think about acne. Because I am interested in the conversation and face it acne is not the only thing in my life that focus on. But, a lot of times in these situations other people point out to my face and guess what. Obviously the anxiety and natural reaction of being self consious. I can't prevent that. But most of the time I don't sit around and think "oh what will they think of my skin".

Another thing I wanted to point out in my earlier post was that alot of times when people get cleared on this board. They re-enter the social settings. And what do they typically do? Getting drunk and party like the rest of the "normal" americans. So when they complain about not having a life its not because they don't enjoy the typical wreckless behaviors as categorized "fun" but that their skin is full of scars or acne. The few times that I was clear, I still have trouble finding the social connections because I dont' fit into the 90% of most people are into my age group or younger or even older. I hope this doesn't sound like a "poor me" or complaint post. I didn't mean to put it that way. lol. Just stating the facts :)

There are many times in social settings or in convrsations with aquiantences that I trully don't think about acne. Because I am interested in the conversation and face it acne is not the only thing in my life that focus on. But, a lot of times in these situations other people point out to my face and guess what. Obviously the anxiety and natural reaction of being self consious. I can't prevent that. But most of the time I don't sit around and think "oh what will they think of my skin".

Another thing I wanted to point out in my earlier post was that alot of times when people get cleared on this board. They re-enter the social settings. And what do they typically do? Getting drunk and party like the rest of the "normal" americans. So when they complain about not having a life its not because they don't enjoy the typical wreckless behaviors as categorized "fun" but that their skin is full of scars or acne. The few times that I was clear, I still have trouble finding the social connections because I dont' fit into the 90% of most people are into my age group or younger or even older. I hope this doesn't sound like a "poor me" or complaint post. I didn't mean to put it that way. lol. Just stating the facts :)

Yes, I am the same way. i am usually very comfortable around people I work with every day. I don't sit thinking about it unless I am having a hard time with it and i can feel the lesions physically. But I have noticed that in any other mixed crowed social event there is this sense of tension that is there; whether it is low, more in the subconscious, or more surfaced where you have fleeting thoughts about your appearance and /or the strangers in the crowed reacting to you.

Not necessarily giving you awkward looks, but just not interested at all.

And, BTW, by "YOU" I am referring to any individual who may experience these feelings or reactions.

And to add: I do stay away from alcohol... only having it on occasions, generally with some red wine. Perhaps, because have learned that alcohol tends to make things worse, even staying home an having just one or two, it came natural to leave them be.