Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixxy

Remember, check the label of your Zinc!! (and other supplements)

Dear acne.org users,

I just thought I'd bring this to other people's attention, so they don't make the same mistake as me!

I was taking 4 x 25mg of Zinc Picolinate daily, and my skin was looking great. However, these cost around £6.50 for a 100 in Holland and Barrett, which is a lot for a student.

I noticed in a discount shop (I think it was a Poundland or something) some 32mg tablets of Zinc Gluconate for 89p. So I obviously stocked up!

I have been taking them for a couple of weeks now, and my skin has been deteriorating quickly, from being almost clear to 3 bug nodules, loads of black heads etc...

I presumed that the Zinc had been too good to be true, and it was just a coincidence that my skin cleared when I began taking it...

But last night I noticed that the back of the bottle of the new Zinc says 32mg of Zinc Glutonate, which is equivelant to 4.6mg of elemental Zinc. So I have been taking a fraction of what I thought I was, which explains the breakout. I should've been a lot more careful looking at the bottle!

Anyway...... The moral of my story is, beware of cheap supplements! Actually, any supplements you buy. Don't forget to read the label carefully etc, as I'm sure many of them are misleading.

Most people are probably already aware of this, but I thought I would post this just incase it prevents anyone else from making the same mistake as me.

Yours Sincerely,

Pixxy

P.S. Zinc has been amazing at clearing up my skin! It is the only thing that has ever worked for me. If you haven't tried it you should give it a go!

I have Zinc Gluconate 50 mg, that I've been taking twice a day. I've only been taking it for a few days so it's too soon to see much improvement (or to link it to the zinc itself), but I haven't broken out or anything...Is this alright?