Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey guys,

i have red/darker colored marks (pigmentation/discoloration) left over from pimples. i googled and a lot of sources said that chemical peels will help a lot by getting rid of the upper layers of "bad" skin. is this a good idea? because if you go in the sun afterwards, wont you burn more easily and cause more pigmentation? also, are facials/chemical peels safe in terms of the people using the right chemicals, etc.?

any other suggestions of how to get rid of red/brown marks?

thanks,

falcon2011

Hi - I had a ton of post inflamatory hyper pigmentation and light to moderate scarring. My acne cleared up 5 months ago. 4 months ago I started using alpha/beta peels 2x a month, and a 2% hydroquinine (sp?) skin lightening gel (murad post acne lightening gel). It has made a huge difference on my skin. My skin is never dry, my dark spots are fading, and the scars are smoothing out.

I use a 10% salicylic acid (beta)/ 30% glycolic (alpha) peel from theoriginalskinstore.com. She also sells on eBay under the same name.

My skin reacts really well to these peels. But everyone is different. If you choose to do a peel, use the weakest solution for the shortest amount of time first to see how your skin will react and then progress slowly. Peels need time to work so dont expect overnight results. I also use emu oil after doing a peel. I like this peel b/c it only removes damaged/dead skin. The more you use it the less skin peels/flakes. When I use the peel now I have no flaking or peeling, but the dark spots continue to lighten and scars appear smoother.

As far as sun damage, your skin is much more prone to sun damage after using aha or bha's. You MUST wear sunscreen or else you are undoing all of the progress. You should be using sunscreen now. Post acne spots only get darker when exposed to the sun.

Hi - I had a ton of post inflamatory hyper pigmentation and light to moderate scarring. My acne cleared up 5 months ago. 4 months ago I started using alpha/beta peels 2x a month, and a 2% hydroquinine (sp?) skin lightening gel (murad post acne lightening gel). It has made a huge difference on my skin. My skin is never dry, my dark spots are fading, and the scars are smoothing out.

I use a 10% salicylic acid (beta)/ 30% glycolic (alpha) peel from theoriginalskinstore.com. She also sells on eBay under the same name.

My skin reacts really well to these peels. But everyone is different. If you choose to do a peel, use the weakest solution for the shortest amount of time first to see how your skin will react and then progress slowly. Peels need time to work so dont expect overnight results. I also use emu oil after doing a peel. I like this peel b/c it only removes damaged/dead skin. The more you use it the less skin peels/flakes. When I use the peel now I have no flaking or peeling, but the dark spots continue to lighten and scars appear smoother.

As far as sun damage, your skin is much more prone to sun damage after using aha or bha's. You MUST wear sunscreen or else you are undoing all of the progress. You should be using sunscreen now. Post acne spots only get darker when exposed to the sun.

Thanks for the reply. do you have any experience with ScarZone? it's a acne med as well as a med that supposedly gets rid of scarring and marks left over... does anybody know if it works or not? thanks