Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Guys!

So i decided to jump on the bandwagon and do my own Accutane log. This site was so helpful to me before I started, (I read so many people's logs to see their different experiences), so I thought I would add my own story too!

I live in Colorado, so it'll be interesting to see how dry my normally very oily skin gets with the already dry Colorado! I have always had really oily skin (even an hour after putting on makeup my skin already is shiny and greasy!) so it will actually be a very good change to have dry skin for a while!

I started Accutane 4 days ago. As instructed by my derm. I take one 40mg pill with dinner and I just took my fourth one tonight. I am 5'2" and about 110 lbs so hopefully this works for me! I've had acne forever, i seriously don't remember what its like not to have it... it's never been horrible like some people's i've seen on here but just recently (maybe in the past year) it has just gotten worse and even through makeup my skin is awful! So that's when i made the decision to start Accutane.

I was SO nervous because i've read so many horror stories. One of which talked about losing hair which (along with every other girl) is like my worse nightmare! I"ve had long blonde hair forever and losing it would not be fun that's for sure. So i've started taking zinc and biotin (a drug that i read about that can help strengthen your hair)... I figure, what can it hurt?

DAY 4:

Since starting Accutane, I haven't really noticed any dryness (not in my lips or nose, which is good since i have been blowing my nose a billion times a day because I have a cold right now). I did notice that I am breaking out a little bit more and the pimples are different than the normal ones I break out with. They're bigger and more cystic i'd say. I have a lot on my forehead which I hardly ever get them on my forehead so that is weird...

I still am in that stage... breaking out all over. I am sleeping the same and everything else seems fine pretty much. Some people have said they have trouble focusing but i haven't noticed anything like that yet.

Hopefully at my dad's wedding (next friday in Cali) my skin won't look awful with any IBs!

I hope when this is all done someone will find it helpful like i did to so many other peoples on here! =)

Hey welcome! I also started accutane a week ago. I am on the 9th day now and breaking out like crazy! Good luck on your accutane journey and hopefully you get clear skin in the next 5 months :)

Welcome to the boards. Hope you get the results you want!

If you start the IB, dont worry too much. Itll be gone in no time then you can start seeing some real results. Make sure you keep chapstick with you!!! My lips just got dry outta no where one day. Hopefully your IB wont come before the wedding.

Good luck!

Thanks P3dr0 and b5a4! I am definitely hoping that i get the results I want in 5 months (although it sucks to have to wait that long lol) but as i've heard from everyone its definitely worth it!! I wonder how many people on here didn't see results from accutane???

DAY 5:

My lips got all dry today (as i heard would happen) but its so WEIRD having dry lips because my skin has always been so oily! I carried around my Burts Bees (which i swear by, and always have cuz it's the best chapstick ever and doesn't make my lips red!) in my back pocket all day long!

How long do people usually have dry lips for?

Also, i think my IB is starting. I have never had little bumps all over my forehead before and it keeps getting worse. There's small bumps (like braille hahaha!) all over my forehead. Which is strange because I am breaking out in places I never did before, but in the places i did break out in usually, I haven't been as much. WEIRD???

My skin is still pretty greasy too. Not all dry like I heard it would be! My forehead still gets shiny... that'll be nice once that finally doesnt happen anymore!

Other than that, nothing new really!!

I take zinc and biotin everyday now as well because i heard that helps with skin and hair so we'll see!!!!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

Thanks P3dr0 and b5a4! I am definitely hoping that i get the results I want in 5 months (although it sucks to have to wait that long lol) but as i've heard from everyone its definitely worth it!! I wonder how many people on here didn't see results from accutane???

DAY 5:

My lips got all dry today (as i heard would happen) but its so WEIRD having dry lips because my skin has always been so oily! I carried around my Burts Bees (which i swear by, and always have cuz it's the best chapstick ever and doesn't make my lips red!) in my back pocket all day long!

Also, i think my IB is starting. I have never had little bumps all over my forehead before and it keeps getting worse. There's small bumps (like braille hahaha!) all over my forehead. Which is strange because I am breaking out in places I never did before, but in the places i did break out in usually, I haven't been as much. WEIRD???

My skin is still pretty greasy too. Not all dry like I heard it would be! My forehead still gets shiny... that'll be nice once that finally doesnt happen anymore!

I take zinc and biotin everyday now as well because i heard that helps with skin and hair so we'll see!!!!

dry lips until you get off the tane or get down to a super-low dose. Im talkin like 10mg a day.

nappyjim: Dang really?? That sucks.

Day 7:

So this is weird but I had the "start" or what I thought was the start of the whole dry lips thing two days ago and now they seem totally fine.

But I feel like my face is really swollen and red. Has anyone else noticed that within the first week? That you feel like ur face is red and really swollen??

Plus i have bumps everywhere which i know will prolly last a little while longer... but it still really sucks nonetheless.

I was also wondering... my skin, for being a week into accutane, seems still fairly oily. I haven't experienced any dryness at all, i still don't put on any moisturizer or anything like that and at the end of the day i still get shiny. Is that normal???? Does it just start to get dry a little later?

Other than that i feel normal!

-Dry lips gone

-No dryness in face

-Still taking biotin and zinc

-Face feels red and swollen

-lots of bumps all over

I attached a picture on here, it was edited a little bit but you can see that my skin is very blotchy. This was from a few months ago when my acne wasn't as bad but without the "smoothing" from the photoshop that my photographer used you can tell there are marks...post-101357-1240266904_thumb.jpg

post-101357-1240266904_thumb.jpg

Day 8:

My face feels a little better but still breaking out a lot! No dry skin still, lips might be slightly dryer than usual!....but today I went to the doctor and she said that my cholesterol was a little higher than she'd like....

I know that accutane even increases cholesterol even more... is there anything that anyone has found that will reduce the high cholesterol while taking accutane??

hey guys,

sorry i haven't written in a while i've been outta town and haven't really had a chance to sit down!

Unfortunately i think i may stop posting cuz no one writes back...

so good luck everyone!!

Aww don't stop giving updates just because no one is replying :(

@Your redness/swollen thing from a few days ago: Yea I experienced this around week 2 I believe, my hands also felt kind of swollen at times as well, that went away pretty fast though, I think maybe 3-5 days? Was it right under your eyes and through your cheeks a bit? Thats where mine was -.- hated it :(

I don't know anything about the cholesterol thing, sorry, mine is alright atm. I guess changing what you eat, but your diet might be alright already, not sure. Your doc should have told you something about that.

DAY 5: