Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am in gymnastics now, and my acne has not got any better. if anything worse.

the practices are very intense.

can it cause acne?

although my acne was mild before. it started to get a bit worse like a week before i joined gymnastics.

could just be hormones, im not sure if there is a link between doing gym and getting acne.

if you sweat more that might aggravate it? but really im not sure sorry

Stress, dirt, sweat, etc. I was a gymnast for 8 years and my acne started soon after I started the sport. Not that I think it was the cause of my acne, but I think it made it worse. Bring a towel with you to the gym to wipe your face and try to keep your skin from touching the mats. Also, if you use chalk, I wouldnt worry too much about it, its just calcium.

oh yeah. i was doing a back off from the parrallel bars and thats when your swing on the bars and flip back off. and i like face planted on the mat. and i got a few pimples around my mouth after that.

After you did your face plant, did you get paranoid and start to overwash? Overwashing with harsh cleansers can trigger acne.

Because you're working hard, you're probably sweating hard too. I would recommend exfoliating with a baby brush (about $5 at Target) or you could get a facial brush (smaller, but $3 at the Body Shop). Don't be too rough with your face, the manual exfoliation is to prevent clogged pores caused by dead skin mixed with oil and sweat.

I would avoid touching your face at all until after practice. Also, wash your hands well before you touch your face.

Good luck!

i understand you're probably notn gonna stop gymnastics (if you're still doing it and you're not a kid you must be committed), but in my experience, my face breaks out pretty badly whenever i've been working out a lot. instead i've replaced an hour or two kicking my ass at the gym a few times a week with a healthy diet and light exercise, either a nice relaxing jog or playing with my wii fit, every day for just 1/2 hr and i've managed to keep my bod.

im an elite gymnast from Norway and ive been wonderring about the sam thing! ime training like 28 hours a week and my acne just broke out 5 months ago im currently 17 years old. is this a wierd ago to break out in?

I do gymnastics too!! & I'm 17.... but I haven't for the past four months. My acne, well red marks now, just took a toll on me. But I have to say, maybe the sweat, long hours, and stress to perfect everything does contribute to acne, but it's not the main cause because all of the other girls i do gymnastics with seem to have perfect skin. I guess we are just the unfortunate ones? Who knows, but working on a good regimen might help. Def, visit a derm.

I was in gymnastics for all of my life until about last year, I quit because I felt I wasn't getting better and it just wasn't working out for me. I never found a correlation between gymnastics and my acne, but it varies for each person.

On a side note, I hate p-bar dismounts, I can never push away far enough and end up hitting my head off the bar in the middle of my rotation. Ugh.

*sigh* This thread makes me realize how awesome gym is, and how much I miss it. Now I'm sad. :(

Best of luck to you!

I think that it might be sweat. Maybe wash your face off after practice. If you don't want to use soap you could use just water. That's what I do after I work out.

Gymnastics is the toughest sport in the world, so good job and keep with it!