Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beckyg

what i think is a nodule (and how to deal with it?)

if you want to skip all my ramblings, i summarized my questions at the end of this post.

If it's necessary information, I follow Dan's regimen pretty strictly. I don't spend as much time as I should applying bp and moisturizer, but that's because I'm an impatient, busy college freshman biology major. hehe. Anyway, I've been through the types of acne on this site, and I think I've classified two of my zits as nodules... They were pretty sore when they sprang up two days ago and still are tender/sore to the touch. It hasn't come to or even shown signs of coming to a head, and it's kinda firm/hard to the touch. Is this a nodule? I've been trying to stop picking at my acne, but picking is really a nervous habit of mine, so it's difficult. I picked and prodded with a needle (just a tiny bit. I know, bad bad bad), but I'm usually able to minimize my damage with jojobo oil. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the scabbing I have now a 5 - for my scabbing on picked acne, that's good.

I think I'll be able to stop picking at them. Whenever I successfully pop a zit, I always seem to have double the number of zits I pop spring up within half a centimeter of the popped zit. I think I'm breaking follicle walls, and that's why the news ones pop up; this is good incentive to stop picking.

In light of all that background, I was just wondering how I can deal best with these nodules (?). I think I read that ice is good for them, but I've been heating them because they shrink and the heat eases the soreness. I heat them by filling up a ziplock with boiling water, putting the ziplock in a glass cup, and holding the glass cup to my face with a washcloth between my face and the glass so I don't burn my face. Is this ok to do? I was doing a warm water compress, but I felt like I was irritating my skin my reapplying it constantly to get maximum heat; also, I felt the constant water was drying out my skin.

So, my questions in a nutshell.

Do these sound like nodules?

How do I deal best with them?

Is ice or heat better for nodules (or whatever type of acne I have)?

Is my particular method of heating them ok?

Thank you all so much for reading and and advice you may have.

Ive had success with wrapping a hot roobios tea bag in a paper towel and using that and Ive also had success with the eye cube method. It just depends on what you prefer. I dont know if its a nodule or not. The only zits that should be popped are the ones that come to a head. I know its tempting because I also have a popping problem but youve got to not try and pop ones without heads. If you do pop a pustule or a whitehead, make sure you wrap both your index fingers in a paper towel and pop that way or use two q tips or two cotton squares. Never use your nails and never use your bare hands.

Ive had success with wrapping a hot roobios tea bag in a paper towel and using that and Ive also had success with the eye cube method....

Does the teabag act as a type of astringent?

My suggestion:

This question comes up so frequently.

Thank you so much for responding. (: I have already read your thread with that information; does that mean icing them is better than heating them, in your opinion?