Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan The Man

The odd/funny things Acne makes us do

right on all. acne's gotten me feeling edgy when the possibility of something touching my face arises, to become OCD [with pillowcases, clothes, hair, makeup brushes, hands, etc.], eat hella healthy[+], avoid hanging out with people for the most part - yet i find myself hanging out with buddies that have at least a regular breakout more than those who dont, wake up much earlier than i'd like to to put makeup on, realize that if i strengthen my personality my skin won't be thought of as as much of a bummer[+] which has made a huge difference...i surprisingly get hit on often as long as i keep my energies warm and my personality psychedelicly original, avoid sleepovers and swimming, try to not go out in broad daylight(which is bad cause the sun gives us vitD which helps the skin), am afraid of getting into a relationship cause it'd be too many close calls with touching my skin and worsening acne(resting face on shoulder, kissing cause his nose will end up rubbing against my cheeks or him trying to be romantic by caressing my face when in actuality it just makes me uncomfortable and clog my pores, getting sweaty in the sack, etc.), refuse to go to the gym, and, like keepingfaith, learning to play guitar with my alone time[+] :) oh yes, and being sure to keep people on my good side ;) and opting for dark lighting.

without my acne i'd be a junk food junkie, a severe drug addict, a very bad person with an annoying personality, and shit, i'd actually be dead cause i used to do so many drugs. i'd be unmotivated and angry at the world. my skin is a nuisance, but it's gotten me to really take a closer look at every thing, every reason, every thrill, every action, every time.

spread your good vibrations around, people will hold that fact closer than the skin we have little control over.

If I'm expecting a package or something to be delivered to my house, I'll put on makeup just to answer the door. I'm way too self-conscious about my skin without it. And sometimes I purposely stay home from school if I don't feel like putting on foundation, and just want to let my skin breathe :P

Have bought more makeup in a year than my mother has in a lifetime.

Enjoy reading/napping more because it distracts me from remembering how bad I looked last time I checked.

Always wear my hair down. ALWAYS.

When I laugh, I laugh looking down.

I listen in on conversations, not join them.

i always wear my hair down, too. and i will never cut it shorter than my shoulders because of red marks, acne scars. i used to have a really big problem with keeping eye contact with people bc of acne, and even now that my skin isn't as bad as it used to be, i sometimes randomly get those moments where i can't look people in the eye.

and i used to only look in the mirror once and avoid them the rest of the day .. or anything that showed any type of reflection. i even hated puddles.

I'm DEFINATLY more OCD about everything.

I cannot and will not use a washcloth twice on my face.

I have to wash everything with Baby Dreft laundry detergent even if my family uses something else.

I will skip class if I don't have enough time to apply make up.

I will aviod outings with friends unless its at night.

I will not let anyone, even my fiance to touch my face :(it makes me cringe.

I'm always scared of looking in the mirror for fear that I'll see another breakout

I wish ACNE did not stess me out. I wish that I wouldn't care even if its at its worst.

The worst part about having acne is not having acne, but the WORRIES and STRESS that come with having acne..

Acne has turned me into a make up freak :(

I know all there is to know about foundations, concealers, primers etc because I am so obssesed with covering up my acne and red marks. I don't let ANYONE see me without at the very least concealer on. I spend about 2 hours on my make up and if it doesn't look right I simply won't go out.

I'm avoid hugging people or being to close to people in fear of my make up rubbing off on their clothes. And yes it has haappened :(

I have to be careful when I kiss/hug my boyfriend because of the rubbing off thing.

I can't go swimming or basically to sum it up do anything that might rub my make up off.

Yeah, it's all about make up :(

I know all there is to know about foundations, concealers, primers etc because I am so obssesed with covering up my acne and red marks. I don't let ANYONE see me without at the very least concealer on. I spend about 2 hours on my make up and if it doesn't look right I simply won't go out.

I'm avoid hugging people or being to close to people in fear of my make up rubbing off on their clothes. And yes it has haappened :(

I have to be careful when I kiss/hug my boyfriend because of the rubbing off thing.

I can't go swimming or basically to sum it up do anything that might rub my make up off.

:comfort:

the dentist sucks, i went today and there were three different people rubbing my face :cry: It actually hurt when they were touching my face...maybe cause i NEVER (besides the Regimen) touch it :shrug:

the dentist sucks, i went today and there were three different people rubbing my face :cry: It actually hurt when they were touching my face...maybe cause i NEVER (besides the Regimen) touch it :shrug:

oh god the dentist! i haven't been in just over a year. i've been terrified to go cause i know my mouth will be uncomfortably pried open, leading to cracking skin, plus being under lights...dammit...i'm going to have to go or else i'll end up with bad skin and teeth. when i do go i'm just going to close my eyes and relax. have you ever heard of Kava Kava? it's a stress support herb, makes ya mellow. it even says on the bottle to take some before an interview, social gathering, anywhere you may experience social anxiety. i'm going to take a couple before i go, when i go.

oh god the dentist! i haven't been in just over a year. i've been terrified to go cause i know my mouth will be uncomfortably pried open, leading to cracking skin, plus being under lights...dammit...i'm going to have to go or else i'll end up with bad skin and teeth. when i do go i'm just going to close my eyes and relax. have you ever heard of Kava Kava? it's a stress support herb, makes ya mellow. it even says on the bottle to take some before an interview, social gathering, anywhere you may experience social anxiety. i'm going to take a couple before i go, when i go.

:lol: I think I'm going to have to buy some Kava Kava myself i really need to go to the dentist soon!

Hated the dentist,the lights are INSANELY bright!

And the hairdressers,my hair would get ridiulously long when my acne was real bad.

Anyway,weirdest thing acne made me do was pick sides to sit on. i.e...the bus. Bad skin on my left cheek,id sit on the side of the bus that left my left cheek facing the window,so it was facing nobody. Strange,very strange.

Also wore a scarf to uni for almost the entire term from feb-may,to hide my chin acne. Even though the weather was quite good.

Thank christ thats over!

I will NEVER visit the dentist. :ninja:

And if I do I will ask him to NOT rub my face lol (might even bribe him ;))

Turn down invitations for a party or dinner.

Make sure I'm sitting in darker lighting if out somewhere.

Spend a ridiculous amount of time applying makeup that hardly helps.

Wish I had my fiance's flawless skin.

Apply concealer to spots before my fiance can see my face in the morning.

Skip surfing this summer because my face is so much worse than last summer.

Stress out way too much.

I know all about the low light thing; I cringe whenever I have to enter a brightly lit room! Which is rather difficult, because High School is like a fluorescent light breeding ground... Geez, do you know how relieved I was when I entered prom to see everything dark and smoke machines everywhere?

And I also spend a lot of time envying other people's skin.

Anyway,weirdest thing acne made me do was pick sides to sit on. i.e...the bus. Bad skin on my left cheek,id sit on the side of the bus that left my left cheek facing the window,so it was facing nobody. Strange,very strange.

:lol: i do that too

I will NEVER visit the dentist. :ninja:

And if I do I will ask him to NOT rub my face lol (might even bribe him ;))

:lol:

too bad i have to go monthly thanks to braces :ninja: Oh well i just want to get it over with....i promised myself i would try very hard to not miss appointments. I go in with nice skin and two hours later i come out with cracked and red lips, messed up hair, and magical pimples that appeared in very little time :lol: (the concealer gets rubbed off)

the whole getting up early to wash my skin then lying down to let it settle was a constant thing,

basicly everything I've read here

-I put drops of Visine on toilet paper and put it on my acne so the redness goes down.

-Constantly raise my eyebrows and scrunch my forehead when someone talks to me because that's where I have acne the most.

-NOT wear makeup because I think it makes acne look more obvious.

-Dread brightly lit stores or places

-Glance in every mirror I see just to see if I look any worse than before.

-Slept with Neosporin and bandaids on the spots I've picked.

-Slept with Vaseline on my face to help the dryness....ewww..

-Put one of those Queen Helene mint mask things on my spots and slept in it :(

One of the weird things ive noticed i do is whenever im in my car, i will put down the sun viser even if its a rainy cloudy day :redface:

Acne has definitely given me some OCD-like tendencies about certain things. I take my showers at night but sometimes on weekends it'll be in the monring; if I've worn product in my hair that day, I cover my pillow with a towel and try not to roll around too much. I don't wear hand lotion even in winter for fear that it will make me break out (I rest my head in my hands sometimes, and even just brushing the hair out of my eyes or sweeping away an eyelash from my cheek could cause a blemish). I have a face towel seperate from my bath towel, in case there are residues of body lotion on the rare ocassion I've used some, or the oils/coditioner from my hair. I wash my hands alot (but that's mostly because I'm a bit of a germophobe lol). I used to wash my face as late as I could at sleepovers, or do it once everyone was ready for bed and the lights were out and pretend like I "forgot" to take my makeup off and got up to go do it. I rarely use a heat protectant on my hair in case it'll break me out, so as a result I have damaged hair. :rolleyes:

hey, i can relate to lots of things on here!!

i avoid social situations and try to show my best side, i plan everything in advance so that anyone or anything to show my acne can be avoided! i totally get the towels thing i use loads and go through about 50 pillowcases a week!!! i also wear a lot of scarves to cover my acne on my chin!

but it has also made me more aware of others and not to judge or look at people in the same way which is a good thing.

i also am avoiding the dentist and hairdressers becuase you have to tilt your head back and my chin will be revealed!! :cry:

things we do for acne eh??!!!

keep smilin! :angel:

Hmm lets see, things acne has made me do

-always wear my hair down (and long)

-avoid swimming so my makeup won't come off

-avoid facing people

-avoid pictures of myself and mirrors

-spend a lot of money of products that don't really work

-refuse to be seen in my pyjamas by anyone

-If I have to sleep in a room with other people, wait until the lights have been switched off before removing my make-up

-wear makeup when building on teams in Romania

-cry

-pray

-avoid social events

-carry my big handbag full of makeup to a formal

-I live in student halls and stand listening by my door to here if anyone is outside before going to the toilet or shower first thing in the morning

Gosh, there's so much! but i guess i should stop there...

I think I've posted in this thread before...but I do know that when I was really self-conscious about my acne I would constantly readjust my hair. I felt like if it looked really good I could compensate for my 'ugly' skin. Thankfully, I have gotten over that mentality (took quite a few years), and now am much happier with both how I look and life.

I hope you guys try your hardest to not let acne affect you in day to day life. I know how that feels, but I also know how it feels to overcome it and not let it control you.

I have to change out the sheets on my pillow 3-4 times a week because I bleed all over them. I am always very embarrassed when friends come over and lay down on my bed. I tell them I suffer from nose bleeds while I sleep. lol

Cystic acne sucks and don't even get me started with shaving. lol

it's so great to hear that you all do the same crazy things as i do... i mean i style my hair depending on where my worst zits are (to cover them of course), i sleep with neosporin on my face (not comfortable), and check mirrors all day long! those are just a few things i do for acne...

-I wear makeup all of my waking hours. All of them. As in, if I wash my face at 11:30, I reapply my makeup and wash it off when I go to bed 2 hours later.

-Avoid my apartmentmates in the morning until I have put on my makeup. Seriously, I don't even leave my room until I hear them not walking around outside.

-Stopped wearing contacts. Life is better when you really can't quite see your face in the mirror.

-Have contemplated burning my forehead off, just to see if insurrence would pay for reconstructive surgery.

-I am paranoid when I sleep. Nothing must touch my forehead.

-Sometimes when I watch movies, I get distracted from the main plot because I'm thinking about how clear all the character's skin is and wondering 'why not me? what do they do that I don't'

-Get sniffles when I see pics of myself without acne. There are no pics of me with acne, because acne makes me hide when I see camerass coming out.

-This is probably quasi-creepy, but sometimes, when I'm on a bus or something, I will look around at other passengers to see how many other people have acne. If someone does, I just feel a great sense of comraderie with them. If no one does, I just fume. lol

- I derive great pleasure from popping zits. Great pleasure. It is the most exhilarating feeling. Sometimes I wonder what will happen if my acne goes away and I can't pop zits anymore.

^ seriously, ditto to all you just said ^

especially the one "-Sometimes when I watch movies, I get distracted from the main plot because I'm thinking about how clear all the character's skin is and wondering 'why not me? what do they do that I don't'."

Make sure I'm sitting in darker lighting if out somewhere.

Spend a ridiculous amount of time applying makeup that hardly helps.

Wish I had my fiance's flawless skin.

Apply concealer to spots before my fiance can see my face in the morning.

Completely agree! I developed a real fear of fluorescent lights, to the point where I would actively dread going somewhere if I knew the lighting was bad. (I actually stopped in my tracks on time, when I realized I had to walk into a classroom that was insanely bright) Dorm rooms are the worst. And I was a big-time mirror checker. I became very aware of reflective surfaces, windows, car doors, even the screen of my cell phone...because I would always look in them. People must have thought I was a huge narcissist.

My concealer routine was also absurd. I've done the whole, put it on, wash it off again, put it back on, until I can get it right. On the other hand, my boyfriend has this amazing, perfect, honey-colored skin with no blemishes, no pores, nothing. I know exactly what you mean.