Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ComTech

MEDICATION FOR WOMEN ONLY

The name brand is Aldactone and the generic is Spironolactone. Spironolactone was originally developed as a blood pressure medication. It blocks aldosterone, a blood pressure-raising hormone. Because testosterone is chemically similar to this hormone, it is also blocked by spironolactone. Apparently not that common in the dermatologist's office. I have had acne for 14 years, 28 now. Been on the majority of oral and topical acne medications, including numerous peels. The only side effect I have had with this drug is the non existance of acne anymore! I take 50mg twice a day = 100mg/day. Again this is for women only, sorry I dont remember why, your doctor can tell you.

But if you are an adult female and still have acne then I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Mine was prescribed by my OBGYN.

This medication also does not have any sun-sensitivity factors. I have had numerous pre-cancerous moles taken off my body, 18 during this last year. My sister and I were in the sun the same amount throughout the years, only difference was I was taking acne medication and pretty sure that those medications helped in the development of the my pre-cancerous spots.

Not sure if there is a minimum age for this