Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raverlax

Lightweights and Accutane

I'm about to go on Accutane and I'm a little concerned about my weight and dosage. My derm seems to be pretty heavy handed and didn't hesitate to suggest accutane for me. I have moderate but stubborn acne. I'm just wondering what other people around my weight range (115) suggest as far as managing side effects and how their experiences are overall w accutane... Anyone around my weight have really positive or negative experiences? and what does were you on

thanks alot, trying to go in to my appointment armed with an opinion on my own tolerance...

xoxo

I think I was 114-120lbs when I was on Accutane (way freaking underweight at the time). I was on 80mg, but had to stop early due to a knee injury that required surgery. I had almost no side effects; I did moisturize like crazy starting day one. And used petrolatum jelly on my lips...and even lower legs after a shower! My eyes were intermittently dry; sometimes couldn't wear the contacts.

I'd suggest a low dose as there are fewer risks for side effects. Don't be scared to disagree with your derm!

I am 117 lbs and started on 40, then was upped to 80 the next month. I had a really really bad IB after he upped my dosage, and occasionally felt fatigue and had a back ache. I had to go down to 60 a month ago after my triglycerides were over 400. Besides that, I really didn't have any other side effects. I have had a pretty high tolerance to it though and am continuing my course for an extra month.

Thanks wynne and pes! It helps to hear exact doses and experiences rather than just the mg per kg bullshit. I'll repost after my appointment and with the result.

xoxo

I was about 105 pounds and took 20mg/day for 8 months. And nope no negative experiences, just a positive one :wub:

I was a bit scared too because I'm just 55kg.

I'm almost 2 weeks in and didn't have serious side effects yet, but yeah, it's just 2 weeks and a low dose (20mg/day).

That others didn't had bad experiences is also a relief.

Thanks everyone for the responses. My appointment is in a week and I feel much better about it now that I'm armed with information. Going to the gyno as well (sigh...). As annoying as all the appointments are I feel like its worth it and will be a very positive move. Again, thanks for the reports, I have a good idea where I should fall now.