Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MovieGuyFL

going from prescription to OTC

hello everyone, this is my first post as a member but ive been browsing these forums for a little over a year now :D

anyways, i was seeing a derm and using Duac in the morning and Differin gel at night and i had pretty good results

but

health insurance and copays are just too much for me right now so ive decided that id like to go back to OTCs

i was using AcneFree Sensitive for awhile but i had unfavorable results so i went to the simplicity of just washing my face with PanOxyl 2.5% twice daily and it worked for a couple of days but then i noticed more breakouts

and then i happened to read Snow Queen's "biggest mistakes" (real eye-opener, thank you) post and saw just how potentially harmful PanOxyl could be.

so today ive started a personal regimen that i want to stick with and i wanted some members' opinions.

AM

Oxy Sensitive Skin Cleansing Pads (0.5% Salcylic Acid)

Lancome Photogenic Concealer and Maybelline Powder

PM

Purpose Gentle Skin Cleanser

Neutrogena On-the-Spot 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment

I do not use moisturizers anymore because in my experience, no matter how sensitive of skin they are meant for, they ALWAYS dry my skin out worse than not using one at all.

so, opinions?

thanks!

EDIT: Freudian typo. I don't know why I said Cetaphil, maybe because I used it when I was on the scripts, but I meant Purpose.

you got a good balance between chemicals. not too many harsh ones and gentle cleansers. 2.5% BP is the best you can get. i've used it and its just as strong as 10%. DONT make the mistake of applying it all over your face, pick affected spots only. sometimes we try to do too much. alone they're kinda harsh but together BP and SA will help maintain your skin pH somewhat. so good going so far and good luck.